High Maintenance Guests and Request #8 and counting.....>rant<

My laundry soap is FF. I canceled her. I just am perplexed by the number of people with allergies or sensitivities or reactions that are booking or trying to book.

I bet most of it is fake. They do not like scents so they say allergic. I detest cats, not yours of course I am sure its the best, and I often say I am allergic as not to offend the cats human servants.

RR

5 Likes

I am allergic big time. I booked a place on VRBO that stated the stand alone house was pet free. I even double checked with the owner before booking and explained about my allergies. I was there for two hours and almost ended up in an ER. She totally forgot the last guests had unexpectedly brought two cats with them at the last minute a few days before, but she cleaned up really well. Needless to say I could not stay there.

I don’t use harsh chemicals at all. Everything I buy to clean is free of that. I don’t use oils or air fresheners.
But while I personally could accommodate her allergies or whatever, what worries me is the fact that she messaged and requested so much. One message with one question would have been enough. This tells me that she is high maintenance and she’s going to bother you with stuff as a guest as well. Perhaps the temperature won’t be proper, or she’ll find faults with some stuff. She’ll never be satisfied. She seems the kind of person who expect regal treatment and everything to be exceptional. In the end she’ll get on your nerves and give you a bad or mediocre review.
I know because I had such a guest.
I’d do whatever it takes to have her cancel.

2 Likes

My Lyft driver today had a really strong pine air freshener dangling from the rear view mirror. I am normally not sensitive but this was totally overwhelming. I actually had to ask her to put it away.

Yech!

1 Like

Well, mine and @Debthecat’s MauMau are the best. I figure Miss Pesky Paws is mentioned front and center so folks can’t complain. I get that some cleaning odors are offensive. I can’t stand the cheap chemical floral scent used in a lot of motels.

THIS!!! I would hate for anyone to end up in the ER or have to leave because of sensitivities or allergies or a reaction to cat dander (even though Bengal cats have a different dander/saliva than domestic cats…).

It’s not worth it.

I have many allergies and they morph and change with time. I would never use any body products supplied in any lodging scenario. I bring my own - every time. I also bring my own FF laundry pods and dryer sheets. I have stayed in two Airbnbs who used plug in air fresheners - they are the most hideous things. One home had 7 in a small house. My mom who has nearly no sense of smell got an instant headache.

I agree that these questions should be asked before booking. If your reply was as you listed in your post I would not have an issue with any of your cleaning/laundry products. I would also state that if their sensitivity is so extreme that it would cause a medical event, then they should book elsewhere.

I had no allergies for the first 40 years of my life. This is becoming a more common medical issue for people and one that we have to address as hosts.

I don’t expect a host to accommodate my allergies, but I do need to be able to make an informed decision so that I can enjoy my stay.

BTW - when searching for a stay this summer, I see that VRBO now has an allergy friendly search criteria. As a host, I haven’t yet figured out the process required to document it and comply.

1 Like

I think that’s a good point, Karen. We as hosts can’t really know what a guest’s allergies may be or how severe they are. The best I can do, and what I have done when guests have asked about this is send a message that specifies everything I use.

For instance “Sorry to hear about your allergies blah blah and to help you make an informed decision, here are the products I use. Linens and normally laundered in Oxyclean and dried in the sunshine. No chemical cleaners at all are used in cleaning the main areas, although the interiors of the windows are sometimes cleaned with Windex, other times with vinegar. I do however use Lysol when cleaning the bathroom and put bleach in the toilet to ensure that the area is germ-free. I hope blah blah and look forward to hearing from you blah blah…”

Then they can make their own mind up. I’m not promising scent or chemical free and I’ve listed what I use on the Airbnb message system so it’s all out in the open.

I’d say that on the occasions this has happened, most of the time the guests have booked. I once had a guest who wanted me to not use bleach so I agreed to that and she booked.

1 Like

Here’s what I have in my listing. I’m one of those people who does have a chemical and fragrance allergy but how you prep your space is all I ask for when I travel. I understand how it’s impossible not to have small reactions outside of my home.

Having said above this is how I have it described in my STR listing for guests. I think this person is unrealistic. I would not host.

While the suite is not completely fragrance free, we do wash all of our linens and towels with fragrance and dye free detergent and softener. We do use bleach but if asked at least 2 days prior to day of arrival, we can forgo this for you and I can clean the suite with the products I use with my fragrance allergies. While this won’t make the suite completely fragrance free, it will help a great deal. Please notify us at the time of booking that you will need us to have bleach-free sheets and towels. Thank you.

1 Like

On the other hand, I told a guest that I could not guarantee that my cereal–bread-and-dairy breakfast offerings were gluten or nut free, and that other guests may use the kitchen to prepare foods that contain those things, and that if she couldn’t deal with that she should cancel and book somewhere else. She did.

2 Likes

Exactly what I did and then she went on a rant about hairspray, distance from her fellow church choir members, headaches from the dry cleaning agents.

So I called Air and had the penalty free cancellation kick in for both of us.

My most recent guest used patchouli, which has caused me to have a headache and nasal allergies. I asked her to not use it in the house (but it’s in her clothes) and now that she’s gone, I’m airing the room and putting baking soda on the carpet, and washing it down with vinegar and water. Ugh. >sniff< I can only imagine if the allergic guest had come on a same-day turnaround. It would have been a nightmare…

3 Likes