Help Writing a House Manual

Hi there, this forum is proving a GREAT help in getting ourselves up and running!!
We need to write a clear, concise house manual … are there any templates , sites out there that anyone knows of to make this job easier?
would appreciate any help / advice
many thanks
Anne

Hi @AnnieR,

You could start with posting what you have so far. Or post a link. Then ask for comments.

1 Like

Hi Annie;

I spent the best part of 40 years as a science and technical writer, and I think our “House Manual” is pretty good. If you like, drop me a note to
kenhulme at mindspring dot com
and we can work together to get you a good manual.

2 Likes

Here is what I have so far for my “House Manual” In my printed out version I called it “Frequently Asked Questions”

Alarm: Please set the alarm whenever you leave. Make sure there is no one else in the house first as the alarm will trigger when it detects movement and the police are immediately called. To set the alarm, simply remain still until there are no flashing lights and then enter the code. To unarm the alarm just enter the code again. There is no need to set the alarm at night. Just make sure the door and the deadbolt are locked on both the front and back doors. We will provide you with the alarm code at check-in.

Google Chromecast: Guests can “cast” anything on their PC or smart devices onto their TV in their room by downloading the Chromecast app or extension. We have Chromecast on both the Living Room and the Airbnb Room TVs. For more information on how to set this up on your devise please use the following link: http://www.tomsguide.com/us/how-to-google-chromecast,news-18309.html

Towels and Washcloths: Freshly laundered towels, washcloths, and hand towels will be hanging up in your bathroom upon your arrival.

Extras are located in the cabinet under the sink. If you are here for an extended stay you can launder your towels, washcloths, and hand towels along with your other clothes.

Laundry: You are welcome to use our washer and dryer at your convenience. We also have our own homemade laundry soap and wool dryer balls that you are welcome to use. Both are located on the top shelf in the laundry closet.

Cleaning: We have our entire house professionally cleaned every other Friday morning. Cleaners usually arrive between 8 and 9 and are gone by lunch. We ask that if you can please be out of the house at this time so we can make sure to get your room cleaned and dusted. It would also be helpful if your things could be put away that way the cleaners do not have to bother your stuff. Your sheets will be changed at this time. Outside of this biweekly cleaning no one will enter your room unless requested. We do this so you can maintain your privacy if you choose. If something gets spilled or needs cleaned up in the meantime, please let us know so we can take care of it promptly and it doesn’t risk permanent damage.

Dishes: You are welcome to use any dishes we have in our cabinets for cooking or eating. We simply ask that you rinse and put in the dishwasher when you are finished. Special Note: If you use the baking stone which is stored in the oven please hand wash with water only when you are finished. Do not use soap or put in the dishwasher. If you need to run the dishwasher, please use the dishwasher detergent under the sink on the right hand side. ***Beware of the childproof locks. In order to open the door, you simply need to open an inch and then push down on the lock inside and it should release.

Trash: Trash is located in the bottom door adjacent to the refrigerator. We also recycle which is located in the pantry on the left hand side. We usually have a compost bowl with a lid located next to the sink. If this is available feel free to put your compostable materials in there. If not, you can use the garbage disposal in the left sink. The switch for the garbage disposal in next to the Keurig machine on the wall.

Food: Both the pantry and the refrigerator has cleared out sections labeled “Guests” You are welcome to use these sections to store any food you may want. If you need any additional room, please let us know. You are also welcome to use any of our spices, oils, etc. These can be found in the spice rack on the counter or on the turn table in the corner next to the refrigerator.

Breakfast: We do not provide a cooked breakfast in the morning as we are usually out of the house by 7:00 am. You are welcome to any of the fruit in our fruit bowl located to the left of the sink.

Coffee/Tea: As previously mentioned we have a Keurig machine. Our selection of tea and coffee is located in the cabinet above the machine. We also have plenty of coffee cups/mugs up there as well. Sugar and Sweetener are located in the canisters next to the Keurig.

Filtered Water: When you open the fridge there is a spout for filtered water on the left wall inside the fridge. We also provide you with a complimentary bottle of water in your room upon check in.

We also print out a Welcome letter for our guests as well that has some additional information. Any suggestions are welcome.

Hi. I just saw your note about house manuals on the AirBnB forum. I’m a new host and have put together a manual. I’d love to share and learn from yours.

You can email me what you have, to the address I gave above. I’ve away on mini-holiday until Tuesday, though.

sholeise – send the information you have created from your private email to me at
kenhulme at gmail dot com

so that I can see what you have written and can comment on it.
–Ken