Help with shower curtain?

I don’t think there’s any such thing as a “sterile low-maintenance” shower curtain. No matter what, they all need to be washed and replaced regularly, ain’t no getting round it!

This is the one I use:

I like it because it’s wide enough to fit right round the tub and it’s weighted so it doesn’t flap around and stick to you.

Every week I soak it in Oxyclean and wash, always comes out nice. You can just hang it up right out of the washer.

1 Like

Sweet! Great to know. Thanx again. It will likely be a while before I need one but I will definitely try this route.

One of my shower curtains (from Ikea) has slits at the top instead of metal eyelets. That would work well for a salty environment.

I agree I wash mine after every booking otherwise that’s just gross.

1 Like

so I have found many fabric liners now that I’ve looked. I realized I never saw them because I am always looking for clear in order to not block any light. I have a small bathroom where the lights are over the sink and mirror but the tub is on the opposite wall perpendicular and so doesn’t get much light when the shower curtain and liner are closed.

Deluxe Polyester Fabric Shower Curtain (72″ X 72″)

you can buy cheap ones and change them regularly. I don’t like to clean them at all

Do you just throw them away then?

1 Like

We buy a cotton, washable decorative shower curtain, which isn’t intended to get wet (and doesn’t) and then buy a mildew-resistant fabric liner, which is also machine washable. We wash the liner after each guest. And we wash the decorative curtain less often, as it doesn’t get dirty or wet.

Here’s the liner we buy: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002H9W9X8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

We have three of the liners for our bath that uses a shower curtain. We use two rods, but you can also use one rod for both, with double-sided hooks on one rod.

Here are the double-sided hooks: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015SIPBWA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2 Likes

Would this fabric liner get super wet in a very small shower stall and never dry? ps I can’t rely on the guests to leave the curtain(s) pulled out for drying. Other wise I like it except no grommets!

No. The fabric liner dries very quickly. It’s called fabric, and it feels like a fabric, but I think it’s all polyester.

After we machine wash them, we don’t put them in the dryer. We’ve hung the liner back in the tub when it was wet. It dries quickly.

1 Like

No they dry really nicely.

Yes they are polyester. We wait until we have a few that are dirty and then soak them in the washer with oxy powder and borax overnight, that will remove any grunge from the bottom. And then we put them through the wash cycle. And then…here’s the real trick…we briefly iron them on one side. That seals the fabric and keeps them water resistant. Without the ironing, they will start to let water seep through, not splash, but seep, they will be very wet after a shower.

2 Likes

Interesting. We haven’t had any of our liners get wet on both sides. They’ve been great.

Polyester is a type of fabric! :slightly_smiling_face:
Fabric can be all natural, like cotton, linen, or wool, all synthetic, like polyester or acrylic, or a mixture.

One way to tell whether a fabric is natural or synthetic, if it’s just a piece of cloth you can spare a corner of, is to hold a lighter to it. Natural fibers burn, synthetic ones melt.

2 Likes

Sounds kind of iffy in the water resistant category. Could very well be polyester fibers but it could also be some sort of ‘non-woven’ where it really is mostly plastic.

Oh we’re not using a liner, it’s just a shower curtain, one layer.