Help with review - party averted!

I couldn’t write a review, it just said “You have already reported this guest”. However, Airbnb have cancelled that guest’s account.

3 Likes

Hmmm…interesting turn of events.

1 Like

Wow, what a freaking little smartass. Definitely prom and they were definitely going to have a party…that would leave you open to a plethora of liability issues…underage drinking being the most grave. Especially if any one of them got into an accident after leaving your property. Ditto what everyone else already said about the review. Good job catching it early and also not having your place trashed. You dodged a bullet there!

1 Like

Thanks everyone for your comments, suggestions and support - really appreciate it! Definite liability bullet dodged!

To share, even though the reservation was cancelled, I have received a request to review the guest. Will be submitting it 13 days, 23 hours and 55 minutes from the notification… :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Not to change the subject too much, but legally, would that have actually been the case? Can a city be held liable if teenagers show up in a public park and start drinking? I’ve always been under the impression that it’s the supplier (if the host had, say, offered a welcome 6-pack of beer to underaged teenagers) that would hold responsibility/liability. We as hosts can’t be [legally] responsible for what someone brings into or does in our homes, no?

I ask out of true curiosity. We’re getting ready for our next ‘season’ (we rent out Austin, TX place during the summer only; read: 99% bachelorette parties), so I’ve been on the topic of alcohol and liability with my insurance agent for the past week or so. I’m trying to understand what we can/can’t be held liable for.

EDIT: Added 2nd paragraph.

2 Likes

That is a good idea and great for future hosts to know, so there will be warning if they try to book elsewhere.

I believe it is if the underage guests have been drinking in your home, if you are aware that they have been drinking, and you kick them out knowingly that they will be getting into vehicles under the influence and they get into an accident…

that was what was conveyed to us by our local Sheriff

2 Likes

It is a possibility they were dressed for dinner and cleared the space for yoga or praying? Can you really jump to conclusions? Do your rules say not to move the furniture? If you had waited, they would have probably had to leave without refund.

Is this serious or is your tongue firmly in cheek? I’m thinking it HAS to be the latter but I don’t want to jump to conclusions.

4 Likes

I was a bit of both I guess. I seriously don’t doubt your feelings and intuition. I have to admit, I tell people to feel free to move the furniture, turn up the music, but don’t bring the bar home. It helps me BIG time that I allow only one couple, usually.
I looked up what it takes to constitute a party. Apparently it changes in the age, under 30- 7-11, 30+ 5-7, my daughter asked me and I said 2.
I don’t do any auto booking and screen very carefully. I am happy to learn what I can, as I have not had one compete year yet.

Let me clarify that my “feeling and intuition” as you call it is based on 4 years in high school as a student and another 28 as a teacher. When I saw those kids, the eyeballing then moving of the camera, the lies about what was going on, the description of the the home when the hosts arrived and the kids response to the impending arrival I am 100% certain that they were planning an after prom party. The only praying that was going to be happening would be…oh, never mind.

1 Like

Sounds scary. I think I am lucky to live where I do. Not many people looking to party, I live outside a village of 1700 people.

I am sorry to offend you.

What in the world are you talking about? I’m not offended.

I am somehow mixing up my posts. Ignor me and I will stop commenting until I figure out what I am doing.

1 Like

Update! The guest issued a review - 5 star - stating I was “very flexible”. What a pleasant surprise!

Unfortunately for her my review wasn’t as pleasant.

2 Likes

Yes, agreed, I made an assumption that they were going to have a party after seeing the home. Besides moving all of the living room furniture against the walls, they put all of the decorative items/breakables in the closet and also raised the chandelier over the dining room table to the ceiling to allow for more height. First thought that ran through both hubby’s and my head when we saw the table was “beer ping pong”.

We also found out later that it was prom night for one of the local high schools.

Either way, if all is good, why move the exterior security cameras? Personally, I’m not interested in having that kind of guest in my home.

2 Likes

In the US, there have been many cases where a homeowner was held responsible/liable for providing alcohol to an inebriated person who subsequently left their home and got into a car accident, or killed someone. Bartenders, too, even though that is their job to provide paying customers with drinks. Is it fair? Nope. Does it happen? Yep.

I vaguely understood some of this, but these quick search results even surprised me…

This is when you knowingly serve alcohol to kids:

When you host a party:

When you just own the property. WOW:

https://www.lawyers.com/legal-info/personal-injury/types-of-personal-injury-claims/what-is-premises-liability-for-a-property-owner.html

Also, look up Lindsay Glass. She is a bartender who served drinks to someone who then went on a shooting spree. She was arrested and charged as a criminal.

The world is crazy.

1 Like