Help with a review, it's not pretty

Hi @Alia_Gee

I really don’t think that will be the case. You have a lovely home and fantastic reviews. Your lovely personality shines through.

Do you have any bookings coming up if so, it will soon be hidden.

You might want to consider providing a short response re the money issue.

They really are a ‘piece of work’ (as we say in the UK) what a nasty couple.

To help reassure you. When I first started this revolting Portuguese couple left a review saying my two month old brand new home was disgusting and they would rather sleep on the streets. (Because they found one hair on the sheet left by my cleaner). I was a new host and devastated. However I soon got lots more bookings. I think it shows not only do guests not read the listing, but they don’t always read the reviews thoroughly either!

4 Likes

Which is why I buy the sticky rollers in bulk! Hairs are notorious for sticking to things. I sometimes roller the linens before and after laundering. And I just did my quarter annual shower drain cleaning. :hushed::grimacing::nauseated_face:

1 Like

@Alia_Gee I’m so sorry for this situation! It’s horrible and I can imagine exactly how you feel, and I think I would probably do the same thing in the end… This gut-wrenching feeling when someone suggests that they have been robbed on your property… :frowning: Maybe I missed your post on this, but what exactly does their review say?

1 Like

These were my first guests… I have learnt since to always double check my cleaner’s work. Having said that - the review was appalling and unnecessary :frowning:

No one has ever been made sick by one hair! It’s what you can’t see that can kill you. After I recovered from the first few idiotic reviews, I’ve refrained from reviewing even people who gush about my place. The supposedly satisfied who plan on coming back can’t resist the power of a review. Seeing their words in print. To tell me there was some dust behind the door, or my decor is outdated and furniture does not match.
I don’t tell them how they annoyed me by constant messages for stupid stuff, breaking rules, driving on my septic tank/lawn when there is a vast area to park, expecting me to forgoe damage deposits because you spent all your money on booze! I don’t say how happy I was to deal with an adult being incontinent. I wish I had when you complained a door was a bit sticky to close.

5 Likes

I heartily agree! Those are people who don’t live in the real world. I think it’s like someone posted, some people don’t want to see any evidence that the room has ever been previously occupied.

2 Likes

I’m so sorry you’re going through such a miserable experience.

I read the review. I wouldn’t worry about the comments about the “lost” money. I think any reasonable person realizes that people who put money in make up bags are flaky and that your guest probably misplaced it or spent more than she realized.

If I were you I would address her comments about your cat. I see that many of your guests adore your cat. However the comments in the nasty guest’s review about your cat scratching and biting would deter me (pretty much the biggest animal lover in existence) from booking as cat scratches and bites can have medical consequences. As none of your other guest have said that your cat scratches/bites I assume that this guest is not being truthful.

1 Like

I seem to be missing how to see the review in question. Could someone ok me the link?

I sent it to you as a PM.

He sometimes does bite, so I’m not safe arguing that. Though he only bites people who don’t like him.

It’s a bit of a self fulfilling prophecy.

(If they had told me they were having problems with him, I could have helped explain things to all parties. With catnip. They really saved it all up for the review, I guess)

2 Likes

Story time! My great (great?) Grandmother on my father’s side had red hair and a temper to match. So did her husband. She’d bring him his dinner and if there was a fly in it, he’d scoop out the fly with his spoon and fling it out the door.
If there was a hair in it, though, he’d fling the whole bowl out the door.
One night, as her crockery smashed to pieces outside, she roared out, “(insert your favorite Irish swears), At least my hair gets washed once a week. The fly never takes a bath at all!”

I believe there was no more smashed crockery after that.

I think about her, when I’m using the drain snake on the tub.

6 Likes

Thanks Ellen. My that’s a nasty piece of work. If I’m ever coming to NYC, I’m staying with Alia.

2 Likes

Just as a FYI about the review order. In the listing the reviews are grouped by country. If you look in the host’s profile, you’ll the the reviews in date order regardless of the country the guest lives in.

“Partners” ??? Hah ! …no I don’t think so.
More like a Pimp and a Wh…re

1 Like

Please send it to me too! I’m curious.

Done. 20 characters.

Thank you! I feel like the mention of cat territoriality was there in order to add something else negative to the whole story besides the money loss. Maybe I’m wrong, but I really never encountered a cat that behaves in a described manner. One of our cats is a biter, but only when touched, and not every time. When is she planning to change her review? Interestingly, when I click at her profile, AirReview tells me that she had not left the review…

And you will love it, she lives in an amazingly cool neighborhood. And, cats don’t bite unless you approach them and bother them. The guest must’ve annoyed the cat!

2 Likes

I adore all animals (except cockroaches, flies, mosquitoes and silverfish) and want to play with all of them, but I think that hosts who have aggressive animals need to isolate those animals from guests. Cat bites can carry serious medical consequences.

I totally agree with you. However, our cat never ever leaves any marks, the bites are not strong. He’s a weirdo who has a habit of treacherously exposing his belly for a rub and then sometimes biting an unsuspecting cuddler’s hand. I warn all my visitors, including my guests, of this. Most are cat lovers and they don’t care. :smiley: Others do not even attempt to pet him, so no danger to them. In the review it has been stated that the cat bites of its own accord, without being touched or prompted in any way. While this might be true, I’ve personally never heard of such behaviour. In that case it shouldn’t be around people, I agree. Cats usually do not bite or scratch unless you engage with them directly. And it is usually rather easy to figure out that you should stay away after the first interaction, if it doesn’t suit you.

2 Likes