Help with a canoe

Just so you know…For a liability waiver to be legally binding, it has to state all parties names. And all of those people must sign it.
So, if your partner has an involvement in the Airbnb, for example, their name and signature would also be required.
And the possible injuries must be clearly mentioned in the waiver in clear font (in either the known or unknown risks portion).
And how are you supposed to know…you ask what future injuries they may incur? That is why so many liability waivers are straight out of a horror movie where they cover all of the bases of death, dismemberment, loss of limb etc, etc…:wink:

Otherwise, it’s just a caution sign and does nothing to cover you in terms of liability.

2 Likes

That’s what I was going to point out, that the harmed can still try to sue, regardless of what piece of paper they signed. It would be up to a court of law to figure out whether your piece of paper was worth anything, and it could be a trying experience finding out.

1 Like

My experience is a bit different, as we used to own a resort in the South Pacific and also managed one. So being on an outer island with no roads and having to supply all the entertainment, we had paddle boards, kayaks and snorkeling gear.

Each guest, upon check in, HAD to sign a disclaimer. They also had to provide a credit card in case they damaged the equipment. AND the equipment price was listed. IF you totaled something you had to pay damages. We ended up no longer providing surf boards because they were so expensive to replace overseas, and guests were aggressive in not wanting to pay. Kayaks and SUPs could be patched, and we found that people don’t always treat things well that other people own.

We were thinking of buying some bikes for the many bike paths in the area, but now I’m concerned about that reading all these comments. Will have to check on that!

1 Like

That’s a good idea, but how would I charge something on someone’s credit card even if they did total it? Wouldn’t the airbnb insurance pay for damages?

If nothing else, it might make people not want to use it.