HELP! What should I do?

I just started with Airbnb. I have my first guest staying and a second guest just inquired about bringing an extra 4 kids for a party on the lake. She is showing only 1 guest and I can host 4, so I am assuming she will be alone with 7 kids - on the lake.

I asked her how old the kids are and how many adults will be supervising them.

She hasn’t replied - I haven’t approved or declined.

I am afraid to decline my second guest, but I really can’t approve 1 adult and 7 kids here either…

Sounds like a complete nightmare. I would ask her to cancel if she has already booked. If it’s just an enquiry you could just outline the unsuitability of your accommodation.

2 Likes

I asked her the ages of the kids and how many adults to supervise and then she said there would be 2 adults and 6 kids, with 2 more adults coming later. Sounds like a heck of a party. I declined.

10 Likes

Wise decision! You are the host and you set the rules. You host four, she wants to bring 10. You’ll find that guests will propose all manner of shenanigans when inquiring. You can just respond to them kindly, reiterate your rules, assure them they’ll find the perfect place for them, and move on. I like to think that inquiries help you to find your host backbone for when a booking request comes in and/or you have to deal with current guests who are breaking house rules. So, consider it a workout–and you hit your goal for the day–good work!

8 Likes

Sounds scary to me. Do you allow parties? A party of seven kids sounds pretty messy to me.

3 Likes

I expressly say no parties and 4 guests. Her official inquiry said 1 guest and when I asked about all those kids then she said there would be 4 adultsand 7 kids. Which leads to a question. What if she would have just booked it and all these people showed up? What do you do? Call police or ?

2 Likes

Call Air and explain to them that she booked for one, your max is four, and she showed up with X people. They will help to get her set up somewhere else.

2 Likes

Not call the police. You call Airbnb and explain that the reservation is cancelled because they violated your rules. And don’t let all those people in if you greet them. Thing is people like that choose places that are self check in.

4 Likes

Thanks! I was getting worried.

Janet

1 Like

Oh! Thanks for the heads up! I’ll remove that and meet them.

Call Airbnb and ask them to decline without penalizing you for the cancellation.

2 Likes

It’s unfortunate that you got hit with this so early in the game. Unfortunately there are people who prey on newbies. This is true in many industies.

That’s why I like the term “comfort”. Your instincts are good. If you are getting a nagging feeling, or something doesn’t seem right, then there ya go!

Keep smiling. It gets better.

8 Likes

And you also will get better at sniffing them out!

There seems to be something in the water here at the moment. We don’t accept kids under 10 for safety reasons, peppered throughout our listing. It’s the last holiday weekend in the UK before Christmas, and the last gasp for parents to go away with their kids, so we’re fairly quiet. Just today I have had one enquiry for our two bedroom suite, for parents and two children, with requests to put an extra bed up plus fruit, champagne and chocolates; a third party booking to boot. Yet another enquiry for our other listing of one double bedroom and bathroom; parents plus three children under six in one bed for three nights. GO AWAY! Earlier in the week I had one for the suite, for four adults and four children. That had me goggleyed about who would sleep where with whom, but I’m now used to it…

6 Likes

It’s probably people who think they’re getting an entire place instead of just the rooms you rent out. That is so annoying especially when it’s all over the listing that it isn’t an entire house.

1 Like

WHAT??? They didn’t want their grapes peeled?

3 Likes

There seems to be a loss of perspective here. Although it’s funny, as a trend it’s disturbing. The powers that be could possibly insist that you have a liquor license. And what about your time, gas/petrol, etc? Sounds like they are asking you to host a small family reunion. This would cost a small fortune in a hotel.

1 Like

So that’s what we mean. If it sounds ridiculous, it probably is. That’s what we are here for - to help. …and have a few laughs!

1 Like

Plenty of those too, even down to expecting the cats to be here, but not us…

2 Likes

Actually that’s s good idea! They have cat Cafes. How about Catbnbs

Don’t be absurd! They only went so far as hand-fanning… :rofl:

2 Likes