Help! -my guest stole my wallet

Last Monday I left my heavy wallet in dinning room and only brought my driver license and a credit card with me out. Later, I could not find my wallet. I had only one guest in my house.

I reported to airbnb, about 3 days later the resolution center wrote to me below message.

Greetings JoAnn:

This is Cindy with Airbnb. Thank you for writing in regarding your experience with your guest from Reservation HMTXD33YPY.

After careful review of your inquiry, we encourage you to reach out to your local police department to file a police report. We are also including the steps for submitting a claim for resolution.

The Resolution Center allows you to offer or request money for your reservation and it includes a message thread where hosts and guests can discuss, counter offer, upload photos, share experiences and involve Airbnb for a final decision, if needed.

For more information, visit our Help Center:

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/767

We are closing this inquiry. We are unable to pursue criminal allegations on your behalf.

Best regards to you,

I feel so sad about airbnb! How do they ask me to contact this guest to send me money?!
But I do not know what I can do.

I had 6 credit cards, 1 bank card, about $200, 2 metro-card, Health insurance card, AAA plus card, Costco card, Library card, store rewards cards… in my wallet. :frowning:

Not sure I understand, did you report the theft to the Police?

Yes, Right after this incident.

So what happened, have they made an arrest?

What do you expect them to do? They have certain protocol
They follow. You can request money from guests and definitely make police report .
My husband leaves his wallet too in a kitchen all the time. Once 1000$ was taken by 2 boys and it was returned when I threaten them , may be they had criminal record before. But from
Then on my husband is being very careful

1 Like

@Yana

What do you expect ABB to do?

Follow their protocol . Which is in this situation just that what they told
You .
And I just noticed I was addressing you instead of OP. Sorry it was not meant for you

Thank you for writing to me. The group owner block me to post my reply. I
do not know if you can receive my email or not.

I did report to police right away after the incident.
Thank you for telling me your experience.

Best regards,

JoAnn

No, police said I didn’t see he stole my wallet, I could only report lost.

My housecleaner had her bike stolen. She hopped in her car and started cruising the neighborhood and saw the guy riding her bike. She pulled over and confronted him and he got scared and ran. She called the police and said she wanted to press charges.

The policeman said to her, “You got your bike back, didn’t you?”

They don’t do anything these days.

1 Like

Hey, your stories are pretty darn entertaining also… :hugs:

Fact is, I can’t get that dumpster one out of my mind (…'member?) but I’ll never tell! … :smile:

I never knew you were a bartender! How cool!

1 Like

@cabinhost

Ohhh, maybe it was an ice cooler…but for some reason I thought it was outside and dumpster. (giggle) Whatever…it was fodder for my fantasies.

(whew)…is it getting hot in here?

Yes police is quite useless nowadays. I got my 1000$ back because my thief was a stupid criminal and on his profile there was his company party with company logo. And when he learned I know the name of company he got scared to loose his job