Help formulate house rule for frying bacon

How about in order to prevent the problem with the pipes, you preemptively run something like Foaming Pipe Snake down your kitchen drains once a month or so. Or whatever your preferred drain cleaner might be. Just a heads up, vinegar and baking soda will not dissolve grease. At least not cold vinegar. Better to heat that vinegar up, clears the smells in the kitchen at the same time, and then pour it on the baking soda, followed with boiling water a few minutes later.

1 Like

My good friend who is a plumber told me to use Dawn dishwashing soap, the blue stuff. I have not had a stopped up pipe since taking this advice. It cuts the grease.

RR

2 Likes

Same where I live. Plants, fruits, veggies (and yard waste) only. No animal products or animal fats can be composted.

1 Like

Good to know and one can get it cheap cheap in big bottles at Costco. On the list for shopping Friday!

1 Like

I think supplying the jar is essential.

3 Likes

I want one!!

I live in the land of fried, fried, and more fried. Growing up every kitchen had a bacon grease pot.

Green beans needed salt & a bit of flavor ā€”solution add bacon grease! Who needs oil to fry a pork chop or eggsā€”use bacon grease. Very unhealthy because of saturated fats but very tasty.

I donā€™t cook that way but once in a while Iā€™ll cook my green beans with bacon grease.

1 Like

The only issue I have with my guests frying bacon is that it instantly makes me want some too.

4 Likes

OMG, I want this, thanks for sharing. Iā€™'l get one for me and one for the rental. Letā€™s see if they have one in red.
@AvaH thanks so much for all the advice.

2 Likes

Absolutely. Microwave. Thatā€™s all.

@adrienne12. Yep. They have red!!

1 Like