Help formulate house rule for frying bacon

I’d just say “If disposing of grease or fat down the sink please add a good squirt of washing up liquid and run hot water to stop it clogging up the drain”. Works for me.

3 Likes

I’ve replaced 3 kettles in 6 months. $25 charge if you boil anything other than water in a kettle now :unamused:

1 Like

Wait…people have a problem with the smell of BACON???

:thinking::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

10 Likes

How much would you charge? How much have you charged?

If think Bacon is bad, wait until they start to fry lamb…

I LOVE the smell of bacon, but there again, I am a Brit. When I do cook it, I do so under the grill (broiler???)with the pan lined with tin foil, clean the tin foil with paper towel and put it in the recycle bin. Sadly the paper has to go in general waste though.

1 Like

We put ours in with the food recycling.

Bacon I love bacon and the smell of it

1 Like

Yes because…

…in a private room shared house rental it makes the other guests hungry. It can actually make them hangry. Whenever I cook something, I run a vent fan that vents outside. The cooking smells can be very distracting and disruptive otherwise.

2 Likes

I don’t like the smell of bacon in my STR because it LINGERS and the house does not smell clean. I don’t want to encourage the next group to cook bacon because their bacon sensors went off when they walked in! I want to encourage less cooking in general. @KKC I am not removing the frying pan that is a essential kitchen item so I am not worried about bacon in the oven. I am just going to stick to the basics, frying pan and saucepan vs the 8 piece set that I bought for the space.

RR

2 Likes

This Thread made me decide to leave a jar out that says "put grease here " in the kitchen!!

2 Likes

Our Local Authority claims to be unable to recycle any fats or oils. I despair that we don’t have one system country wide.

I save the paper towels I drain bacon on and use them as wicks for molotov cocktails. Best to lard in a supply. Winter is coming.

8 Likes

Lamb should never be fried, unless you don’t know what you’re doing. Lamb should be marinated and, depending upon the recipe, you cook it in the oven or on the grill, outside (kebab style).

Yes, this is what I am going to do today. I’m going to dispose of solid grease in the trash.

New Rule: Only people who know what they are doing are allowed to cook.

3 Likes

I know @Joan each area chooses what sort of recycling they provide, depending on how much each Council wants to spend.

The worst are those who collect co-mingled recyclables (up to a third of this is lost through the sorting process). The best are council which ‘source-separate’ up to 99% of what you put in ends up being recycled. Our food waste goes to make compost which is used in the cities parks and open spaces.

To be honest i didn’t even think about whether they can accept fats and oils in food composting bins, I just put them in :frowning:

So did I, until the annual leaflet arrived in the letter box…

2 Likes

snort, LOL, snort, laugh, hahahahaha!! I totally understand!!

1 Like

These are readily available on Amazon. Multiple colors.

1 Like