Hello again! I'm a passionate full-time host with professional hospitality experience as well

Visiting my daughter in Japan in March, we went to Kyoto. I love gardens, we were in a park and I went to use the facilities. This was a squat style traditional toilet and I could not work it out until she told me to face the wall behind the toilet - then everything made sense as far as the “mechanics”. This was positioned on the ground, no sprays etc, but a place to put your feet! I made it work … but a different experience.

My funniest toilet experience was the public loo at the Grand Bazaar at Istanbul. Was trying to make a purchase, but needed the bathroom. The waters were rising, I was getting desperate. I had been past the public toilets earlier and the smell was eye watering. I said to the shop keeper that I needed a clean bathroom. He shut the shop and took me for a walk to the disabled bathroom.

There was a guy managing it and he took my 100 lira and opened the door. It was PINK! The European toilet, the walls, the basin everything was a shade of pink. He also had a massive collection of magazines in every language I could think of and it was doused in some really cheap perfume. It was clean, and I was grateful and on leaving I got the nicest smile from the attendant. Made my way back, bought my tiles to bring home. Never have I been so relieved!

1 Like

I’m originally from California, but have lived in Hawaii, Mexico, South America and a few other warmer places. The water only bidets would probably be more than sufficient there, but now living in a place with a real winter the heated seat, water, and dryer are life changing in the middle of winter.

1 Like