Head off problems with odd/sneaky guest?

What sort of evidence of drug use? Put that in the review also. Jeeze.

1 Like

Two syringes and cottonballs. I guess there’s a chance it’s medication, so I probably won’t put that in. Don’t want to be slanderous. But yeah, with everything else, I know what I think it was anyway.

You think it might have been heroin? Do addicts use cotton balls?
I suppose you cannot make assumptions. Sigh.

1 Like

Drug use or not, syringes in the trash is NOT ok. And to be honest, anybody who uses them for medication should know how to dispose of them properly. I think this is drug use. I would vaguely mention it in the review so other hosts can read between the lines.

‘Unfortunately I cannot recommend this guest. Lack of communication about extra guests who weren’t disclosed on the reservation, plus a large dog which also wasn’t disclosed, was very surprising to me. Also, improperly disposed of medical equipment (syringes) posed a huge danger to my own health when cleaning up after these guests.’

(I was going to leave out the word ‘syringe’ but on second thoughts I do think it should be mentioned)

11 Likes

That’s correct. My dog has diabetes and I carefully dispose of her syringes with the caps put back on in a plastic bottle with the top on.

But who knows. What if it was diabetes? In a one night stay, two syringes would make sense if the person was diabetic.

However I like garden host’s review, you can never make assumptions. But you can report facts.

4 Likes

I don’t know about in the US but in the UK ‘sharps’ (syringes) have to be disposed of in ‘sharps medical container’. No-one with a medical condition (unless they were some sort of drug addict or abused drugs) would ever think of just putting them out in the rubbish. Perhaps why they were pulling the blinds when you walked past.

2 Likes

Even for home disposal? I was told by the pharmacy to put them in a platic bottle (they are small gauge) and stick it in the regular rubbish.

Yep. All syringes need to be put in special sharps container. I am not sure how it works in the U.S>.

http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/2421.aspx

Most diabetics no longer use syringes but the pens. Most diabetics wouldn’t just put them in the bin. I know as I have type 1.

2 Likes

Seems odd, but is is what I was told,. Hawaii island has a rather primitive trash disposal system to begin with. We only recently just got recycling!

It looks like it’s pretty much the same in the U.S.

https://www.fda.gov/MedicalDevices/ProductsandMedicalProcedures/HomeHealthandConsumer/ConsumerProducts/Sharps/ucm263240.htm

I don’t think mentioning syringes is at all a good idea for the OP. It gets into very personal territory (like medical history, etc.) and if they actually were using them for illicit drugs, they would have probably disposed of them in a way where it wasn’t obvious (wrap them in a paper towel, in an empty bag, etc.) Why would they act so “paranoid” and draw blinds, etc. but carelessly toss syringes in plain view in the trash?

I know most prospective guests don’t read host reviews but it’s very easy to do when the listing is new (since there are so few reviews it’s easy to click on the guest who left the review). I would be very repulsed at the idea of staying in a unit where I thought people might have possibly been shooting heroin – it contaminates the image of your unit and makes it sound seedy. I’d just move on to the next listing. Mention the concrete things they did that made you uneasy (as well as the fact that they left your unit very clean.)

5 Likes

I had a group add people without notice, two more cars arrived, I asked booking guest what was happening directly. Then I sent a message on Airnb reiterating conversation, this came in handy when there was a claim for damage, as I was also paid for the three extra guests. Definitely add extra guest fee, and stipulate on ripples only registered guests.

2 Likes