Has COVID-19 caused you to close your listing?

Have very carefully looked at my response to you and can see no condescension. I am sorry you are financially strapped, but the same thing could have happened with a storm, a change of rules in your area, a complaining neighbour…

2 Likes

No, that is another of their lies.
Because they make decisions like the EC, they go beyond just advertising.

1 Like

I agree. I’m sure we’d ll be really happy if they just stuck to being a booking site. But they want to micromanage people’s listings, stick their nose in everywhere, and can’t even properly manage the money they insist on collecting for us, as all the hosts who’ve had missing payments for months can attest to.
They want all the decision making power, but when things go south, then they wash their hands of it.

5 Likes

Right smack in the middle of it. We are not birders ourselves but that’s why most people come here.

What I would do right now if I were another established platform would be to include homeshare hosts on my platform.

What you and some others seem to be looking for is a place to, sort of, unionize. The makeup of the host stakeholders would make any such an effort impotent from the outset. If we did a roll call here, I bet we would be hard pressed to find ten hosts operating under the same jurisdiction. It’s like a salt gun on an elephant’s ass.

At any rate, I’m not mad at AirBnB even though they could’ve handled this better. I’m not mad at anyone, I just wish everyone well.

4 Likes

We rent two rooms all year and actually give up our own bedroom during a few peak weeks. We have closed through the end of April. Our plan is to reevaluate on the first of each month for the following month. We have had so many cancellations that it hardly matters whether we are open.

I wonder if we will have a wave of babies conceived during this time, with everyone restricted to staying at home. What would you call them? Covid Kids? The Virus Generation?

2 Likes

I’m getting close but waiting to see bookings plumet of the edge of the earth over the next few months. Listings are next to the airport so yeah we r fucked I think.

We haven’t closed, but most of our guests for the next four weeks are cancelling and we aren’t getting any interest in bookings for later in the year. We’re a whole-home property in the Caribbean, and our island is slowly closing off to international travelers. As luck would have it, I just came home early last week to Houston before the restrictions were announced but my hubby stayed at the villa. He cancelled his return flight to the US and is going to stay there (he’s retired) and do maintenance while I stay in the US and work at my day job (although they are having me work from home).
I never explicitly planned for a pandemic in my business plan, but I made sure we could afford our mortgage and expenses even without renters before we bought the house.

5 Likes

If Airbnb’s 3% is plenty, then that would suggest that you’ve made more than plenty off of them.

I’m not Airbnb’s biggest fan, in fact I dislike many of their policies so much that my preference is BDC & HA guests. Over the past year or so we’ve reduced our Airbnb guests to circa 30% of our total.

I view them as just another OTA, but with a few unhelpful quirks.

What would you like them to do?

JF

2 Likes

We probably will. However the darker side of lock downs is that there is a high likelihood the incidences of domestic violence will increase also.

JF

1 Like

I’m not scared of covid 19. Judging by peoples behaviours ATM humans are more of a worry.

I’ve already seen them called the Quaranteens once they get to the teen years. LoL.

3 Likes

This was a concern on my facebook feed and organizations in the field have been stategizing for weeks. But they can’t prevent it.

We’re in New Zealand, still open for bookings but we haven’t got many. It usually tapers off at this time of year anyway. There are only 20 known cases of the virus in NZ to date so we will be carefully looking at the previous travel movements of anyone who requests to book. In the mean time we are touching up and repainting the walls, cleaning the carpet etc. We will be closely watching the spread of the virus within NZ
and may block off our calendar in the near future to avoid risking our own health.

My friend in Dunedin said there were cases heard about there a week ago that only got report yesterday. There’s a big lag time.

We have an entire listing in a sleepy rural UK town - currently open but not expecting to be booked. The listing was set up as our pension - to have it pay its way. As freelancers in the events industry which is now decimated, we have found ourselves with a lot of time on our hands, so we will be decorating and applying for jobs.

The information isn’t entirely clear right now, but it looks like we’re being closed down by the government. All hotels, apart hotels, short stay accommodation and caravan parks must close on the 24th March. No idea for how long :frowning_face:

We’ve blocked off until first week in April (when our next guests are due to arrive), but looks like we’ll have to message them to tell them to cancel.

JF

1 Like

Wow. Sadly looking at all the knuckleheads in the US, we may have to go that way as well. I’m just gobsmacked that Mexico hasn’t closed their border and that towns in the US are still allowing partiers in bars and on beaches. It’s going to be a munted shitshow for sure.

1 Like

I live above an upscale town in California (Los Gatos). Driving to the grocery store yesterday I was appalled at all the people congregating at a popular hiking trail as if nothing was different! Large groups of women with strollers walking and taking.
Such selfish behavior and probably intense denial.

2 Likes