Has anyone tried to "cleanse" their place (spiritually I mean)?

This is about an idea I had after watching a clip on YouTube about haunted real estate (link at the end of this post).

Note, I don’t believe any of this supernatural stuff, but I know there are a lot of poor misguided people that do!

So, I think it would be great to be able to certify that all of my properties are 100% free of any adverse spiritual influences (i.e. ghosts, spirits, or other “entities”).

I thought I’d put it to the forum to see if anyone else thinks it’s worth trying, or even if anyone has done even this themselves?

Looking forward to a great discussion … the clip is here: https://youtu.be/n7BlydBMAVU

Brilliant! I look forward to hearing about the first guest to ask for a refund, claiming there were still “bad spirits“ in the place…

:roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

11 Likes

Would be a complete waste of time. But go for it if you think your target market are ‘poor misguided’ folks who’s key priority when choosing somewhere is that it is ‘spirit free’ @airdnd

Who would be certifying your places as spirit free BTW? GhostsRus perhaps?

3 Likes

There are several listings that advertise themselves as haunted and seem to have great success - perhaps you could try that instead?

3 Likes

I think it’s a lovely idea but I wonder if some guests would think that it’s odd and perhaps think that you’re into that kind of stuff. They might think twice about being a guest at your home if that makes them uncomfortable. I read somewhere in the forum about guests that were upset because they saw tarot cards, and another that saw a book that somehow offended the guests. Some people are closed minded. I guess it depends on the age group that mostly books your place. Younger folks might think it’s cool but older folks might feel weird about the cleansing.

I smudged some sage through the house to get rid of a bad boyfriend’s juju. It made me feel better, but also a little silly, like taking astrology seriously.

I’d never advertise that unless my listing were in a “woo-woo new-age spiritual” location like Santa Fe or Big Sur.

3 Likes

I’m with @georgiahost on this one, @airdnd. Go with the ghosts. Bit of fun. But I would be happy to print you up a 100% ghostbusted certificate in three colours of ink and stamped with my GIMP seal of authenticity for a very reasonable price. US dollars please.
Seriously, though, do rethink the “poor misguided” stuff. I know - you’re just talking to us, and it’s okay. But I find I am a happier host when I don’t separate my guests into a punter category.

4 Likes

Yeah well, I probably would have too; but did you really have to do it with no clothes on, an empty Corn Flakes box on your head while chanting the lyrics to Jimi Hendrix’s Voodoo Child, backwards.

At least it worked though :slight_smile:

JF

9 Likes

If I saw that in a listing, I’d assume that the host was a weirdo and wonder what on earth else he/she would get up to … and book somewhere else.

6 Likes

The instructions were complicated and substitutions had to be made. Do you know how hard it is to find a virgin nowadays?

10 Likes

Oh, so you’ve been to Glasgow then?

JF

4 Likes

When I bought my cabin someone told me about a horrific thing that occurred 50 years ago there. Yet cleansing never crossed my mind, the old time locals will always know the history. Thankfully nobody is telling the guests!

RR

Some young guests smudged my listing about a year ago and also left me a sage bundle so I could do it again if need be. I credit my 4.97 rating to their efforts. (Just throwing my stats out there again in case you forgot)

10 Likes

I was going to say Barnsley. :wink:

2 Likes

I do smudge a new place when I move but only becaus it’s a family tradition and like any other tradition, it just feels warm and fuzzy to me. My grandmother was Native American and so we’ve just always done it :woman_shrugging:

If you have spirits in your airbnb, I do think you’re better off keeping them happy and even on-call if you can manage it ,)

https://news.airbnb.com/happy-haunting-hosts-on-airbnb-invite-daring-guests-to-book-these-spirited/

3 Likes

You’re definitely underestimating the boomers. Who do you think owns those new age bookstores?

We had a group that left our apartment in an odd state once. It looked like they had had a seance or something. (ugh, candle wax) . They were early 70s.

3 Likes

A seance was not the first thought that came to mind here.

Think Madonna, Willem Dafoe :wink:

Maybe it’s just me…

JF

2 Likes

Nah. I would have gone there too but it was a brother, sister and a cousin. But who knows? (though the candle wax was all on and around a small round table). They used a “hippie scarf” for a table cloth (it was left behind). Dang. That would have been the time to have some undisclosed inside cameras ,0

1 Like

From Glasgow, or maybe Barnsley?

:wink:

JF

3 Likes

No, I’m pretty sure there’s a few more kinky folks here. :point_right::stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like