Halloween Weekend

I think even those folks that sometimes agreed with him were tired of the rudeness, cruelty, and constant drama. It will be nice to wake up and turn on the radio in the morning without cringing.

1 Like

But then it wouldn’t be a democracy, would it?

What an elitist, obnoxious, racist [deleted] you are, telling us that we should suppress voting. Voting is a right of citizenship, and should be celebrated! You have NO right to try to tell US how to run our country.

And don’t get me started about BC’s pollution of transborder rivers with toxic mines, or releases of diseased farmed Atlantic salmon, both endangering Alaska’s salmon fisheries.

3 Likes

I have a great idea! Let’s restrict voting to property-owning white males!! And if the property includes slaves – no problem! /s

3 Likes

I know you’re joking but as we are seeing now, some are starting to say the quiet part out loud. There are those on the right who are on record saying that the 19th Amendment was a mistake, slavery was a blessing and worse.

1 Like

This thread has been temporarily re-opened so that @cooperjto can refute my assertion that he is a racist. It’s going to be closed again shortly and if someone wants to discuss the pros and cons of returning to the 1800’s they will have to do it on another thread.
This one is not about Halloween weekend anymore.

Yep, it tells me that the US has a large population of people who have deranged thought processes, fall for whatever crackpot conspiracy theory fits their belief system, are racist, sexist and aren’t even able to understand that their cult hero actually cares nothing about them or their welfare. It’s a frightening demographic.

There’s nothing not clean about mail-in ballots. Oregon has had a mail-in voting process forever- no one in Oregon votes in person. And you are suggesting that people line up, exposing themselves to a deadly virus, in a country with the highest COVID infection rate in the world. To please a bunch of people who refuse to accept that their candidate lost, like kids who throw over the game board and have a tantrum because they lost the game.

2 Likes

Thanks, I think.

I was also joking when I said that universal suffrage was a bad thing - in truth, the really bad thing is that our education systems (both in the US and Canada) have failed so many people, or perhaps that so many people choose to be willfully uninformed and disengaged from the political process. I respect that people can have differing political views - mine aren’t set in stone either - but it bothers me that so many can be clearly so uninformed, yet also so passionate about “their team” winning whether it’s Team Red or Team Blue. It’s not racist or elitist to say that many people don’t follow politics and choose to vote one way or another silly reasons, it’s a fact of life. And while I don’t think it’s reasonable to prevent those people from voting, there also need to be basic checks and balances to make sure that those people aren’t taken advantage of by highly organized political machines.

On the issue of race, it was entirely you who went there - do you think non-whites would fail my hypothetical civics test? Talk about the bigotry of low expectations. I don’t know where you live, but I live in the most diverse city in the world and can count people from all backgrounds among my friends and colleagues so I don’t see things through your polarized lens. From what I can see Milwaukee has more white than black people, so calling me a racist for questioning their voting methods makes no sense at all. You’re just relying on the same old crutch of calling anyone a racist or sexist just because they disagree with you.

The problem with calling other people deranged or racist or whatever is that they can just as easily call you names too. If you don’t respect other people and their opinions, then how do you expect them to respect you?

I get it, you don’t like Trump, and I don’t particularly either. But if you insist on slandering anyone who doesn’t agree with you then you’ll never have a reasonable discussion with anyone.