Guests with too high expectations

After 4 months I decided not to continue hosting after the last guests. The main reason that I get less than the lowest long-term rent even with cleaning and managing by myself. The main problem- not a central location of the flat.
Anyway, the last booking played on my nerves. I did a complete cleaning of the flat for 4-5 hours before guests came. Guests were really friendly and kind. However, I’ve got lowest of the low in the review in a very polite form. The guest told me that the linen was cheap and dirty (new IKEA, average price), that it was impossible to cook in the kitchen (I have a normal kitchen with a small fridge), the was no dishwasher, she unsatisfied with a the quality of my washing machine- it wasn’t listed that I even have it and I ask guests not to use it, but it’s ok washing machine). Finally, she wrote that it was no place to put towels in the bathroom- I have a radiator for towels, but I have no hooks). Also, she complained that I didn’t provide sleepers, extra towels and there was no TV.
She started her review with “Unexperienced host” and mentioned smells and dirt- the flat was deep cleaned 4 hours before her arrival. I don’t know where she found any.
Also, the price was very very low for a new flat (in Moscow there are still many flats with “babooshkas” design, mine is different).
She bought plastic hooks and stuck them on super glue, it damaged walls when I tried to remove them. And she through away around 10 metal hangers from a design shop- they looked like deformed wire. I’m just in tears. The problem that many new guests think that they help business this way, but we all know what happens after so bad reviews :confused:
I think it’s better not to take older Eastern European customers using Airbnb for a first time. I think many of them have expectations that it would be RITZ no matter how low the price is.

1 Like

Hello @Mila
If your score is low you can try closing down your account and opening a new one :slight_smile:

I had troubles with older people as well…! Always have something to complain about!

They posted information that I’m a scum everywhere- I believe it some mental illness… Can’t decide should I go to court or just leave it

Ranking is still ok. But, I really can’t do it anymore

@Mila what do you mean everywhere? Thats terrible I hope you figure it out. But if you’re earning money from airbnb dont let those guests take that privilege from you!

There are about 5 local chats and forums. I spend all the evening asking admin to take information down.

That’s not good advice @Gem20 - Airbnb know your email, phone and payment method and can ban her if @Mila does as you advise as it is against their terms to do what you suggest.

@Mila I am so sorry you had such a terrible guest nothing to do with her age and everything to do with her being plain awful.

I agree, I shouldn’t mention it

Most guests are simply wonderful, but when you get one of those that just torpedoes you…I understand. It is hurtful, and petty, and totally unnecessary. Please don’t let this discourage you. After two years, I have a take it or leave it attitude with my guests. I disclose Everything in the listing, and if they don’t like it, the heck with them. I am nice when they are nice, but if they are picky I am sharp with them. They normally back down. I have maintained super host and vast percentage of glowing reviews.
Maybe just take a short break, and re-approach. Best wishes to you!

5 Likes

You’re right here. As I read forums I understand that this behaviour is not rare. The problem that I didn’t expect them to mark me with 1 star, so I can’t do anything here. I get near 50% of the possible long-term, so it’s the main reason to get out from Airbnb now.
I understand that it would be always a discouraging experience, this is life

We had a group of people leave us a two star review once because they didn’t like staying in a shared house. Their complaints included things like supposedly having to sit on the floor in their rooms and feeling like they couldn’t be downstairs if we were down there and feeling as though they couldn’t cook in the kitchen because it was shared. One of the ladies got some kind of allergic reaction to something and went to the hospital because of it and chose to blame it on our carpets. We didn’t expect it at all because they were very nice to our faces but we almost lost our superhost status because of it. You just have to brush stuff like that off and realize you can’t please everyone.

4 Likes

The review system is so unfair. It’s terrible that awful guests like this can put the nails in the coffin of your business. I do hear you, though. I understand how you feel about wanting to quit.

It’s everywhere, Mila. I’m in Hawaii and I get slammed by bad guests who didn’t read the listing and expected the 4 Seasons.

5 Likes

It also implies that the host has had bad reviews.

3 Likes

Small update. Of course it wasn’t much I could do with this guest. The previous guest left a nice review, but she told me in private that it was dusty and some things could be better. I asked her to provide details because I’m really curious why some guests are so unsatisfied and I was really surprised.
First, families travelling with children (I talked to my sister and she in this category and on clients side) always expect to have fully equipped kitchen of the quality at least like at their home (for example having only one saucepan and no grader would piss them off a bit). Just a one small thing looking not right will make all your place “dusty and dirty”. I have a black pillow cover from IKEA that easy attracts dust and because of that they say all the flat was “dusty”. Of course there is another problem- having open windows for a few hours makes flat really dusty. This is near impossible to explain especially for those who check in late and see the dust in the morning.
But the biggest problem is exaggeration. That guest told me that they washed all carpets and runners in washing machine because they were dirty. I was shocked to hear that because I just got them from laundry a morning before they came.
Also, the same guest mentioned “complete disorder in cupboards”- It’s just rack to dry dishes. I have no idea how it could be “disorder” there as each plate and its place. When I asked her she told me “it’s a personal impression. It’s looks like it’s a disorder there”.
Btw nobody even read house rules where I ask not to use washing machine.
Resume: the design for airbnb should be very practical. I have classic Scandinavian interior, everything is in light colours, even white fabric sofa- it’s really not good idea to Airbnb flats like this. It needs everyday cleaning and people always blame the host. Also, don’t rent anything for cheap. Maybe it’s human nature, but cheaper the price is more expectations are.
Btw, got a private messages from “angry client” where she explains that “no matter the price is the flat must meet her high expectation”. The other guest first lines of reply were “when we stay in hotel”.
I’m not airbnbing now, but I think it’s important to keep in mind that the a) design should be practical b) it’s important to explain clients what they would have c) not stress about expectations- it’s impossible to meet all of them

P.S. I have a child too and we travel a lot, but I never had problems to take him out to cafe or to cook due to lack of kitchen equipment. Also it’s really hurts when guests say “if you have children of your own”, not thinking that my child is decade older than theirs and I just look younger than I am

Most hosts hate long term bookings. Personally, they are my favorite.

I screen up very carefully to ensure that the prospective guest would probably work out in a group setting. Look to a friendly, cooperative and open manner that is easy to deal with. Full profiles, photos and introduction. This is to protect me, and other guests. And I deliberately set a magic word in the rules to ensure that they acknowledge them.

I do not allow alcohol, cigs, smokeable cannabis, or visitors. People smoking dope or drinking alone does not work here. And we all like our privacy. What they do outside the property is their business. Yes, we have a pretty nice smoking area.

I only accept one guest per booking. This cuts my problems in half.

In the past I have had couples develop a 2 against 1 attitude that I could not manage. It’s not worth the hassle for the extra dollars. Often they are stretching their limited resources, living in cramped quarters, and getting on each other’s nerves.

The next move is to guarantee the first night. I tell the guest that it is my policy for them to book out without penalty. They never have. But it gives them an “out”, and a choice. They like that.

And it also gives ME a choice. Yes, I have kicked. If I am getting attitude, or sense a bad fit, they have the option to leave immediately. No regrets. Remember, I’m on site and can move quickly if I have to.

I give a tour of the room, the house, and the area. It takes about 45 minutes all told. It’s a nice chance to get to know them. This is a big time investment, but by letting them know about the many plusses of being here, it makes for a happier guest.

I always book people who have definite plans. People who loaf around all day look to you for entertainment. Horrible.

I don’t allow an oven or stove. That’s my home insurer. I am so happy ! It attracts more professionals who eat out or order in.

On a night to night basis, I make very little. But when I have four or five rooms the pennies can pile up. It’s common for guests to interact and enjoy each other’s company too. And I have parties excursions and other events.

And once they are established, I may be able to get away the odd weekend.

Sometimes if I get a punitive review - we all do - I will temporarily adjust the bookings to 2 nights to garner more high metrics. But the changeouts are killer.