Guests with no ratings

Do you all accept guests new to airBnB (this one joined Nov 21) and thus have no reviews?

1 Like

We did when we were open (we’re not open now). We had an issue with only one brand-new guest. All the others were five-star guests.

4 Likes

Yes. All guests must request to book. They also need to communicate and respond to my asking about their travels, their travel companion or reason for choosing Tiny Tiki. 99% of the time, they do that and I confirm their stay.

1 Like

Yes, I do. No problem. We all have to start somewhere.

7 Likes

Yes, but I make a point (for all guests) to get names/ages, trip purpose (will let you know if more questions need to be asked or rules emphasized), and I add a kind note about being new to AirBnB and how it’s different than a hotel, trust guests to treat our home well, etc. (keep it very short). I tell them I’m excited to have the opportunity to be their first great review :wink:

I also make sure ALL guests respond they have read & agree to comply with the house rules & honestly, those new guests are sometimes better about it.

4 Likes

I do. I feel like sometimes they require a bit of extra communication and guidance, but it’s been fine.

3 Likes

Exactly same as @Mabes—so me too

Yes. How would a guest ever get their first review if no host ever accepted them?
How would you ever have gotten your first booking if no one ever booked a place with no reviews yet?

4 Likes

Yes, no reviews, no verified email or anything else. Heads in beds

RR

This. 100%. Guests without reviews are usually fine, but it is PRUDENT to carefully vet Guests with New Accounts, ESPECIALLY if they are local.

3 Likes

Oh, yes! I am very particular who I will accept a local booking from. I’ve even had Air intervene and not allow a booking. I didn’t know why the person was blocked until I dug a little and saw it was a new account, local and last minute. They were younger than my required booking age also (which Air doesn’t check).

I was glad Air intervened once I realized all the factors at play. They asked to book me some other way and I just said I didn’t have a direct booking capability (which I don’t…need to work on that).

I have done so for 9 years and I don’t seem to have anymore concern with such guests than I do with ones with history and positive reviews

Why wouldn’t you? About 50% of my guests are new to Airbnb.

As long as you vet them properly to ensure they are a good fit for your property.

Yes. Some people sign up for Airbnb just so they can come here. Not bragging – it’s not that amazing; just a unique listing that they find by other means and want to book.
It would be pretty awful of me to say no after all that. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

All the time. They’re my bread and butter. A good Messenger communication and we’re off and they get their first glowing review. Because they’ve been pretty great, all around. A few lemons, but I figured that going in to those 3, so no worries. Nothing broken and I got paid.

1 Like

Yes, I have accepted folks with zero reviews and surprisingly the ones with good reviews were the worst guests. I think that newbies want to impress because it’s their first review.

Do ask questions to make sure they’re not booking your place for a party. Also once they book and you get their names, look for them on social media so you can get a feel of their lifestyle; party animal vs family oriented.

3 Likes

We were all newbies once, too, as hosts and maybe as guests. Someone gave us a chance. 99% of our newbies have been stellar.

3 Likes

Great advice, as to additional questions to ask guests new to Air and without reviews. Thanks for the tips

1 Like

I would take pictures of everything, and email them on the AirBnB your concerns about being a 1st timer, and the consequences of any incident. Then go ahead and book them, greet them personally if possible, and continue emailing them on the AirBnB site asking if they are comfortable or need anything. That way you are acting in good faith. Then the risk is at least mitigated as much as possible, and they’ll know they need to “behave”.

The guests that were “meh” or we would never host again ALL HAD 5 STAR REVIEWS.
We hosted quite a few guests without prior reviews or newer accounts and they were all fine.

2 Likes