Guests who smoke--Help!

I’m trying to wrap my head around what kind of person purposely seeks out listings wherein they take a perverse pleasure in violating the rules despite being a host themselves. And then they post about it using their real name on the internet.

9 Likes

You are funny. No seriously, I smoked marijuana 2 times in my life and I was paralyzed both times. Could not move. Could only roll my eyes and tell myself this shall pass.
I have no pb with vaping. I have very good friends who vape. Truth is nothing comes out but nice smelling vapors. In my listings, as an ex smoker, I allow people to smoke on the patio. I’m from Europe and over there smoking is much less frown upon. Until 10 years ago you could smoke in hair salons while having your hair done. let alone bars, cafes etc…

1 Like

My description also says no smoking on the premises. The other day I noticed one of my cereal bowls out on the patio. I picked it up and it had cigarette butts and ashes. The guest told me she needed an ashtray!

I understand what you’re saying, but I think his point was that vaping is simply water vapor with some scent and flavor, it isn’t smoke at all, which a lot of people don’t understand. It’s no different than the water vapor that comes out of the kettle. So the hosts that claim that it stinks up their place and adamantly don’t allow vaping are pretty much imagining things.

1 Like

That may be true, but it is disgraceful to know that a Guest intentionally books a place knowing that they are going to break House Rules. It is the Host’s home and as such, should be respected. There are plenty of Airbnb’s that allow smoking outside, including vaping, so why not book with those Hosts. It’s just more disgraceful for someone who is a Host themselves to support the behavior of Guests that feel entitled and ignore House Rules.

I can’t believe that you would admit that but I guess it’s just us Hosts, right? Just remember, though, that it may be one of our homes that you will be seeking to book a room from in the near future. A Guest that willfully chooses to break House Rules cannot be trusted in my opinion. It just shows blatant disrespect for the Host’s home and their preferences. I am curious why you would not book a room where smoking and vaping is allowed? I can’t imagine that you couldn’t find one.

1 Like

If it has scent and flavor, it has scent and flavor. Saying a host is imagining it with regard to vaping is like saying guests with Electromagnetic hypersensitivity EHS or allergies to laundry detergent are imagining it. We had a vaping thread here previously that got quite heated and had to be closed so I know how people can be about this. If a host doesn’t want vaping in their home that is 100% legitimate. How dare anyone think they have the right to vape in home where the host has a rule against it. That’s no different than a guest demanding the right to turn off your router or demanding the right to bring a cat into your space or paint your walls pink because they like it and it isn’t hurting anything.

It’s not just just hosts. Anyone can read anything on this forum. Some journalist could read these posts and include them in their articles (and they do!).

2 Likes

I also discriminate against people who have a desire to pee all over my floors. I really don’t view a guest smoking in my house as any different, except the pee would be easier to clean and eliminate the odor.

I do allow smoking outside, and if a guest has a desire to pee behind a bush I really don’t mind that either.

Since I’ve used “We’re a smoke-free environment,” I’ve had no problem. Our City is so health conscious that anyone smoking around here must feel a bit like a pariah,
but I still see folks downtown standing around nervously smoking on the sidewalks. We’re a tourist destination!

I smoked for 17 years and quitting was the hardest thing I ever did.

1 Like