Guests who smoke--Help!

These are very practical suggestions. While I agree that any host should have the right to not want smokers in their listing, even if they restrict their smoking to the outside, well away from the doors, the reality is that hosts who are that uptight about having smokers in the house are going to have one headache after another about this. Despite all your warnings about not renting to smokers, smokers will book anyway. So it’s a matter of whether a host wants to spend their time dealing with this, cancelling on guests who are already in residence, having the guests refunded for cancelled days, or whether they want to resign themselves to providing an outdoor area where smokers can hang out.
If you don’t want smokers at all, because you feel they stink up the unit, then you may as well also state that anyone with B.O. or who wears any perfume or scents also can’t book.

3 Likes

I probably dislike smoking as much as anyone but in my experience not all smokers smell up the place the same. I had a friend who was a smoker and she would visit from out of town and the room had a horrible odor after she left even though she only smoked out in the driveway or in her car. I thought I imagined it but noticed two years in a row. Then she quit smoking and it no longer reeks. But I’ve had other guests who smoke and the room doesn’t smell. Also I’ve known people who eat a lot of garlic and they reek.

I don’t advise trying to ban smokers, only managing smoking on the property but muddy has a good point about a variety of things causing the room to smell. Shoot, guests last week were there 4 days, no smoking. But there was a odor, more like soap than anything I can think of that was very unpleasant to me. I still have a keen sense of smell though.

As a former smoker, I have to admit that I get a bit annoyed by this vilification of smokers as a class. As Airbnb hosts (and human beings) we accept guests regardless of race, religion, gender preference, colour, gender status, age, disability etc. etc. but yet smokers seem to be out of the ‘we accept all’ circle.

Yes, smoking is horrible. Yes, it smells nasty. Yes, smokers are killing themselves. Yes, second hand smoke is gross.

But it’s also an addiction. We automatically sympathise with people who are addicted to other substances but yet smokers are the devil incarnate.

I honestly believe that no-one really wants to be a smoker. They are addicted. I certainly don’t want people smoking in our rentals but I do think that banning smokers can indicate a slightly superior attitude.

Rant over. :no_smoking:

5 Likes

I endorse this rant.
We must find a way to work with smoking guests.
For those who absolutely cannot stand it. What happens in public spaces where smoking is allowed? Do you absolutely avoid those places too?
I know it’s a touchy topic but you will more likely than not get a smoking guest from time to time no matter what you put on your listing. If they don’t do it in the house, you’re good. If they do, impose a payment penalty but also provide alternative smoking spots as indicated above.

5 Likes

Nope. I watched my mother smoke herself to death. COPD & congestive heart failure.

I have a no smoking anywhere on the property rule, as a result of my sister having a “non-smoking” tenant who burned her house down by putting a cigarette out in a planter on the porch. Like others here, I’m a recovered smoker who get violently ill when I’m exposed to tobacco smoke or its odor. Even smelling it on sheets that smokers slept in makes me sick.

Yes, they are addicts. There are unfortunately many places that will accommodate them, so there is no need for me to “work with them”.

5 Likes

It’s not difficult to do.

The site owner here doesn’t like us to post links to other sites so I’ll send you a PM

I also am a former smoker. 17 years. Tried 3x to quit. Hardest thing I ever did.
Agree with all that you said but I do not feel superior to anyone.

1 Like

I’d like that info as well! How do you PM on this site?
Thx

Click on a users name and then you will see a blue button that says message.

1 Like

If any Guest is a smoker, the smell of smoke would be on their body, clothing, etc. A smoker being in the same room with me would send me to the ER within 24 hours, so No Smoking in or around the perimeter of the home, as well as just being a smoker is grounds for immediate cancellation if a smoker books my home. There are plenty of other Hosts that allow smoking outside so Guests do have options when booking.

1 Like

In response to your question, when confronted with a smoker in a public place, I have to remove myself. I cannot risk my life or ending up in a hospital.

I have a serious question and I mean this sincerely: had you grown up in the 1950’s or 60’s you would have died? I’m 62 and can recall smoking everywhere, including on planes. So someone with your condition literally would have died.

I had a lot of respiratory problems growing up with smoking parents so I’m really curious about this.

2 Likes

I am 57 :slight_smile: I remember being on planes with people smoking, and trains too. But, I didn’t have asthma then. In fact, I was a smoker from the age of 13 to 34. I started getting asthma at the age of 34 while pregnant with my daughter. To this day, I rarely have episodes (asthma attacks) but when I do, I always end up hospitalized. It’s crazy how I just can’t have a mild episode. Again, I cannot risk ending up in the hospital. Times have changed. It’s like my daughter who is allergic to peanuts. It is life-threatening for her if she’s on a plane and people are eating peanuts. She advises the airlines, and they actually announce it on the plane and offer passengers an alternate snack. They also ask that if they have nuts in their possession, to please be considerate of someone that has a life-threatening condition. I think it’s just having compassion for someone that may not be able to help their medical condition.

Fascinating. Off topic for the forum but crazy to think how people were forced to put up with smoking.

1 Like

And jello molds…

2 Likes

True but it’s rare when you find such a heavy smoker who doesn’t shower. I don’t know any and I have friends who smoke. I doubt this person was that bad. At least the OP doesn’t say anything about him. I dance Argentine tango in close embrace with smokers who gave off a faint smell. Showers, toothpaste, listerine and mints work miracles. What you are referring to is a smoker who lacks the basic hygiene. I used to smoke in college and I never fit the description you gave. My dad smoked until the age of 60 and our house, when I was growing up was clean and smelled nice. He smoked outside.

1 Like

Sounds like you are inured to the smell / residue. Due to my severe allergy to any tobacco product, I can pick it up instantly. I allow external smokers and have one of my team deal with the waste.

I guess if you are allergic it’s a whole other situation. Believe it or not I’m allergic to marijuana. No, seriously. I know people can smoke it or eat it but I can’t. If someone asks I reply that there are only so many vices one can have and I stick with my old ones, booze and the occasional cig (like really 3-4 times a year at parties).

I have spent a lot of my life trying to disprove that… :rofl:

3 Likes

I am an ex-smoker and now a vaper. Vaping saved my life. And when I travel and review short term rentals, I purposely look for listings where the hosts several times remind you of their rule of no smoking and especially no vaping. I book these listings and vape my ass off in every room, closet, and bathroom. So far no bad reviews from the hosts or complaints about my vaping or leaving odors behind. I really love booking with hosts that claim they are allergic to any kind of smoking or vaping. I really believe that 99% of these hosts suffer from psycosymosis.