Guests who never go out!

I have to vent… my space is in my house. Most guests come to my suburban area for events ( weddings, funerals, showers, reunions, family things). I have to do yard work etc to maintain my large property and gardens. I have some guests who come and stay in the whole day and night! Why would you travel states away to sit in the house? Ugh. I am mowing the lawn today even though my guest is here at 1:00 pm. Before it rains- again… any one else continue with loud chores while guests are there?

2 Likes

“Please note that there may be construction noise and other noise during the day”

“We prefer guests who are out and about during the day. Please consider that noise and interruptions are likely”

5 Likes

I consider quiet time to be between about 10 pm and 9 am. Other than that I do whatever - cut the grass, saw some wood, move furniture. It’s my house, they know I live here. I mean, if I knew the guests had a long flight and arrived at 1 am, I would wait until afternoon or do it another day.

As for guests that travel and then stay in the room. I don’t get it either. I have had guests come thousands of miles from other countries and spend a whole week in the Airbnb. I always suspect they are having an affair and either enjoying each other that much or too paranoid to come out :laughing:

2 Likes

I just give the guest a heads up – my landscaper will be pruning trees in the yard, I will be mowing (altho it’s electric and quiet), etc. such-and-such day and time.

4 Likes

It doesn’t matter to me if they go out or stay in. There was a time I’d worry that they weren’t enjoying the apartment if they went out. Then I’d worry that they weren’t enjoying the attractions here if they stayed in. :slight_smile:

Like @dpfromva I just let guests know if there’s going to be noise or any other disruptions.

2 Likes

I also find it frustrating, but if I start to resent it or think homebody guests are weirdos, then I’m in the wrong business. We have no idea why guests are travelling… some come to visit friends, or do a lot of hiking or go house-hunting… but others may be taking a break from caring for elderly parents (for example) and just want to chill. They aren’t looking for urban adventure or outdoor recreation, they just want to put their feet up and relax, and – for whatever reason – cannot do that at home.

We had a very nice woman stay with us last spring (when it was still a bit wet and chilly outside) and she told us “I just want to sit by the fire and read books for a week with nobody bugging me.”

Later this month I’ve got an out of town man coming to spend a week in our guest suite with his (local) fiance for a few days of cocooning – they are gamers and they want to binge-watch a few seasons of something. I suspect there may be kissing on the menu as well.

People who pay for 24 hour accommodation deserve to stay there without their host getting all resentful, because people sense resentment in others, even when it is unspoken.

On the other hand – if my mooching cousin wants a free bed, then there’s nothing wrong with saying “You’re welcome to stay here, but I want you out of the house and off the property 12 hours a day because otherwise this place starts getting a bit crowded…” – but my cousin isn’t a paying guest looking to get value for money.

3 Likes

I too live in the same house and have specific quiet hours. I once had a guest complain that the space was too noisy during the day because it was Autumn, we live in New England and that = leaf blowers. I do have it written in my house rules about noise during the day and she still tried to get a refund but no such luck since it was well documented in my rules and a normal expectation in a suburban area.

3 Likes

Yes, I get annoyed even though they are in a separate part of the house. However, my problem can’t be their problem and vice versa. One way I mitigate this is by only allowing one night stays. That works for my situation but if you have people who come to your town to stay several days, then that wouldn’t work for you.

My guests are usually out and about during the day, as I live in a beach town, which is why they come here.

But sometimes after a few days they get beached out, or they need to do work online, and spend the day at home. Doesn’t bother me at all. If I really needed to do something noisy, I would just warn them- “Hey, I need to run the weedeater this afternoon for an hour or so.”

1 Like

There can be a few other reasons why people don’t leave from what I’ve seen aside from homebodies: Exhasution is a big one, especially if the guest has travelled far. If you have a really nice accommodation, that could be another reason. They may just want to stay in to soak it all in. :grin:

1 Like

Thanks all! I was just stressed because I’m
Hosting a huge party this weekend and my guest was “chilling “ in the house all week. It’s just hard for me to understand because I only travel to do things not sit inside. To each his own…

1 Like

We host in our house as well, and 95 percent of our guests are out and about all day long. But some do hang out. We had a really sweet couple who drove through the night to our place, got here in the afternoon and just took a Power Nap. They were tight on time and had to turn around for home the next day.
But yes, guests from H-E Double Toothpicks have felt comfortable enough at our place to get in (quiet) fights, with one person locked out of the room. This happened twice during their stay. I offered to refund ALL their money “since you do not seem comfortable (she was hugely pregnant),” but they replied that they just loved staying here. Whatever.
Long story short, we don’t alter what we do too much when guests are here. Our dog sometimes barks, sometimes we have to use the noisy tractor. Guests often join us for coffee and chat, which is a great time for recommending activities!