Guests wants fresh towels

I have a few extras in the bathroom and I offer fresh ones after 3-4 days. When it is really humid towels dry poorly so I pay attention to that. Women with long locks appreciate a second bath towel for their hair. I offer use of the laundry to longer stays and they tend to just throw in their towels. I offer sheet changes weekly.

5 Likes

Iā€™ve probably done the opposite of most here in the 3+ years from my former STR, I put out one bath, one hand, one washcloth per person and probably had an extra large stationed in the bath.
Never got any complaints about this. It wasnā€™t that I was being a tight host, itā€™s what I do for myself.
In this rental, Iā€™ve added an extra bath/hand towel.
I would gladly give extra towels if guests asked.

1 Like

This conversation reminds me of one we had over toilet paper. Many hosts are stingy with that as well. I certainly understand being annoyed if a couple for two nights makes off with a 12 pack of TP. But then rationing every guest thereafter makes no sense.

This works in some situations but not in others. I donā€™t want to admit how long I go on one towel. But I live in a dry climate and have short hair. I wouldnā€™t expect families with children, or who are going to the beach or walking around all day in a humid climate to do the same.

Even at that low price heā€™s getting dinged on the value metric though.

No we arenā€™t hotels, nor are we prisons or hospitals.

3 Likes

I saw thatā€¦but I held back.

1 Like

Iā€™ll see your facecloths and raise you 1 guest, 8 large bathtowels in 3 days.

And I raise you
2 guests, 3 nights, 4 robes, TWENTY bath towels plus pool towels!

4 Likes

Man, Iā€™m really missing out on all the ā€œfun.ā€ In addition to having travelers rather than tourists Iā€™m going to attribute that to my dry climate.

Yep, and thatā€™s where my former rental was, SE AZ, and dry except during the monsoons, but didnā€™t have many guests that time of year.

1 Like

In drought-ridden Cali, I put little water-conservation placards in both bathrooms, and trust that guests want to help. They do.

Personally, I like the feeling of abundance (the threat of scarcity brings out latent hoarding tendencies in the best of us :cry:) so guests have access to extra everything) without having to ask. Of course, I home-host and run a tight (not tight-wad) ship

So far, (1/125 guests took advantage: she left with 2 rolls of t.p.
Iā€™m still grieving the loss - not only of the generous-sized rolls, but of my faith in humanity.

9 Likes

Put it in house rulesā€¦ towels replenished every 3 days or whenever you want to wash them

It evens out, as some here have already said. I have a very basic listing, but guests get all the towels they want. There are backups available, so they donā€™t need to ask. Most use one or two, or zeroā€¦, and others use hotel quantities, but I would hate to do all the prepping I do just to get dinged for too few towels.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve only ever given one towel per guest and never been asked for more.

Your name is islandnest. If youā€™re somewhere tropical or hot and humid, towels go rank quickly, even for a 4 day stay.

This. Per person in the bathroom: 1 large towel, 1 hand towel, 1 facecloth, 2 black makeup cloths, 2 hand towels for the sink, 1 large beach towel. Extras are in the linen closet in the guestā€™s room.

Do your long-term guests have access to the washer/dryer? Towels can get stinky, especially in the tropics or if the bathroom doesnā€™t get a lot of air ventilation. Just because they didnā€™t say anything doesnā€™t mean they didnā€™t notice.

Ask your guests if they have everything they need, including towelsā€¦ Itā€™s our job.

This. Charging $10-$20 to refresh towels or provide extras would annoy me and Iā€™d leave a review reflecting the lack of something as basic as towels. I refresh and clean the entire bathroom (rugs, towels, shower curtains) every 5 days for longer term guests. Itā€™s worth it. I get consistent ā€œsparkling cleanā€ and ā€œover and aboveā€ reviews due to something that takes next to no time to provide. Theyā€™re paying to not do the work themselves. Itā€™s not a hostel.

This.

5 Likes

@islandnest I have a budget-friendly private room/private bath listing. 1 towel per person I consider chintzy. I give guests 2 bath towels, a hand towel and a washcloth. If they stay longer than a week, I offer clean ones at the halfway mark ( my max stay is 2 weeks). Most guests say they are fine with what they have when I offer the clean ones. Some appreciate a clean wash cloth or hand towel. Sometimes I find one of the bath towels hasnā€™t been used at all.

As a woman, I use 2 bath towels when I wash my hair.

For those saying the towels get funky in the tropics, mine donā€™t- my guests tend to hang them over the balcony railing outside their room to dry. Not something I ever requesteed, I just notice they do that.

I definitely wouldnā€™t charge for say, one extra set of fresh towels.
We have a heated towel rail which seems to keep people happy with the one set.
Thereā€™ll always be people who use everything I.e. all the beds, robes, beach towels etc etc.

2 Likes

Include in your house rules that typically one more set of towels over the number of guests is provided, but towel changes during a stay are not included for stays under X days. For stays over X days, intermediate cleaning is offered [/required] once every Y days for $Z.

Adding items to house rules could result in conflict with the guest or, at best, a negative review.

Guest: Could I please have fresh towels?
Host: No. Itā€™s against house rules.

Guest: Could I please have fresh towels?
Host: Certainly. Iā€™ll bring them to your apartment / room / suite in five minutes.

Which is the happier guest?

5 Likes

Exactly so.

Very simple ā€œpuzzleā€ to solve: Guest wants fresh towels. Give guest fresh towels.

7 Likes

Including towel protocol and charge if any in the house rules has a value in and of itself and does not imply refusing towel requests or even necessarily enforcing said charge for reasonable requests. For some hosts, something as simple as extra towels incurs a cost to dispatch someone because the host may not be nearby. Clear and upfront disclosure is generally in the hostā€™s best interests, but does not preclude being nice and generous.

I think it sets a tone, and the host just needs to be aware of that. I read excessive rules as an indication that the host pinches every penny and doesnā€™t really like their guests very much.

6 Likes