Guests walked out because of my tarot cards

It sounds like the guest may have overreacted, but some people are really sensitive to that stuff and may have had creepy experiences w Ouija boards or whatever. As a card reader and dowser, I keep my decks and rods out of reach for a variety of reasons. I strive for a pleasant but neutral environment for the guest, but in the end you never know what might set someone off. I have a couple Dr. Suess books in our room for decoration, and I’m sure there is someone, somewhere, who would get upset by them. Anyway, I’d love to read your books, but that’s just me…:sunglasses:

1 Like

Just for the record, Buddhists have no issue with images of the Buddha and they are plentiful and varied. Only Islam frowns on physical representations of the Prophet. Other religions are fine with representations of their religious images.

That is perfect for many listings and that’s definitely the direction Airbnb is moving. But I don’t want to stay in those places and don’t people who like that kind of bland nothingingness to stay in mine. I’m not trying to sound insulting towards your listing, just expressing my preferences.

The perfect situation is the one that I have. My listing isn’t in the neo-devoid style to attract business. It’s a reflection of me designed to attract like minded visitors. And it’s working perfectly as I not only have all the problem free stays I can handle but I also have stellar reviews and ratings. Sometimes you can have your cake and eat it too.

4 Likes

Where can I get some of those cards?

I’m trying to figure out how to work in that people will be staying in a gay household without being in your face about it, but some people don’t understand subtlety. I don’t think it should matter, but I don’t want people that are homophobic putting us in an uncomfortable situation. I rather they find a nice place with bible quotes on the wall to stay.

2 Likes

I have this sign as one of my pictures.

I don’t currently have this one but I have had it in the past.
rainbow%20airbnb%20symbol

You can say in the text that it’s a gay household if you are comfortable with that. A picture of you with your SO as your profile picture. Saying you are LGBTQ friendly/accepting.

3 Likes

It’s not bland nothingness if done right… My cabin has plenty of personality just nothing too personal…

RR

I was strictly referring to adrienne’s “realtor showcase” style. Not that there is anything wrong with that. :wink:

In all seriousness, I am in a unique position. I’d seriously rather not make another dime off Airbnb than to host a person with a problem with tarot cards. Meanwhile I just had a Christian minister go the extra mile to book my place for two days (most people here would be amazed…I was amazed) so I must be doing something right.

2 Likes

It sounds like the guest may have overreacted, but some people are really sensitive to that stuff and may have had creepy experiences w Ouija boards or whatever. As a card reader and dowser, I keep my decks and rods out of reach for a variety of reasons. I strive for a pleasant but neutral environment for the guest, but in the end you never know what might set someone off. I have a couple Dr. Suess books in our room for decoration, and I’m sure there is someone, somewhere, who would get upset by them. Anyway, I’d love to read your books…:sunglasses:

Well, if it’s working for you it’s all that matters, right? But when a space is too unique, or follows a certain theme there will be most likely be people out there who would pass on your listing (just looking at the pics and description) because it’s not their cup of tea. And I agree with RR you can decorate aiming for the mainstream and not be bland. In my house I didn’t decorate like my doctor’s waiting room - although if you saw my dentist’s office your jaw would drop; the guy is a genius decorator - I just combined colors and textures but kept it devoid of anything personal or religious.

2 Likes

Exactly right! I just share what I’m doing because it seems like I have above average success. I’m not sure exactly what the winning part of the formula is so I share everything I do in hopes it will help someone else. I also try to disclose important things like it’s not a whole house, I live on the property, etc.

2 Likes

on your advert have a picture of you doing readings - also in experinces offer to do readings for guests free as part of the stay - that will get rid of all those terrible guests we all have had staying who think Im paying so they do what I want…
and if successful a second income stream - win win

1 Like

Someone left a copy of the Quran, and I slipped it into the desk of a new arrival from Yemen. It was a good idea!

I leave a copy of the Big Book in the living room if anyone wants to borrow it, too.

You have inspired me! I’m gonna leave a copy of “The Religion Delusion” by Dawkins in every room. Win / win!

6 Likes

I’m new to hosting but a frequent renter, as my husband and I travel a lot. While we’ve encountered a lot of things in rentals that aren’t our taste—religious objects come to mind first—they never bother us enough to undo an otherwise positive experience. The only time I’ve ever even mentioned it in a private review was when we rented from someone who had multiple guns out in plain view, as well as ammunition scattered around the house. That made us uncomfortable enough that we almost left, but it was already late and just for one night so we sucked it up and left early in the morning. We liked the guy ok otherwise so we mentioned it could cost him business and make people not used to gun culture unsafe.

Bibles, tarot cards, political books or books on witches/ghosts… none of these items actually pose a threat, so I say to each their own.

My rental has several vegan cookbooks and some socio-political theory. I can’t imagine people would complain even if it wasn’t their cup of tea. If anyone destroyed something though, they’ll be getting a bill, same as if they destroyed anything else in the house.

I’m new here and found this interesting, sorry I know it’s an older post.

The way I approach my rental is to appeal to as many people as possible. I know if I start putting things in my home that may only be favorable to a select few and isn’t a necessity I leave it out. My home has been well received by all and I make it a statement that if they need anything, and I mean anything, I will gladly get it for them.
Tarot cards, in my opinion, are a cool conversation piece and appeal to some but I know there are people who might find it offensive for religious reasons or what have you. So I would either leave it out or put a good picture of things such as that in your listing. If you don’t things like this can happen and if you were not aware people can be offended by some of these things well you are now. I mean that in the most lighthearted way possible.
As for a bible I thought it would be a good idea to have one tucked away but I rethought it and would leave it out. Again to each their own and
I keep my home clean, stocked and always add a little something extra. Anything that appeals to a certain group I know I’m taking a risk no matter how small and I refer not to do it.
Hopefully this helps. Thank you

That’s not gun culture that’s…I don’t know what…a mental problem of some kind. I grew up in gun culture, I have many gun enthusiasts in my social circle and I own a shotgun. NONE have (and never have growing up) multiple guns in plain view and ammo scattered. One friend has some vintage collection long guns and ammo on display in locked glass front cases. Everyone has the majority of their firearms in gun safes. None of the responsible owners I know even advocate open carry which my state allows; not even the NRA safety instructor who always concealed carries.

And guns are required by airbnb policy to be disclosed. I absolutely would have reported this host if he was in violation of the policy. Absolutely unacceptable unless I’m not understanding your description in some way.

1 Like

You’re understanding my description. There were four rifles standing in a corner of the laundry/storage room (a shared space) even though there was also a gun safe in that room (I don’t know if it was full or not). There was a handgun clip (full) on a shelf, and several boxes of ammunition out in common areas, including the living room.

We didn’t report because we were this guy’s second tenant ever, and we did stay the night with no problems. We didn’t want to then turn around and report him after staying and having an ok experience, even though we were really uncomfortable.

We didn’t leave because we were literally stranded in the UP of Michigan. It was getting late (around 7 pm) and was a last-minute booking as it was, so we knew finding anything else would be hard, especially because we were traveling with our dog. In other circumstances I would have wanted to leave, but we were afraid we would end up sleeping in our car in the middle of nowhere, and it was 30 degrees.

We did tell him in a private note that it was against terms of service and he should get all his stuff in the case. Did I do the wrong thing by not reporting?

I completely understand why you didn’t leave. With a little more info…on the UP…where the guns are…maybe I wouldn’t report I would just talk to him about it. Without being there I can’t say exactly what I would do with this individual but the situation is completely unacceptable for an Airbnb shared home listing. I’d probably report…even now.

1 Like

Thanks for the advice, @KKC c. I appreciate it. :slight_smile:

1 Like