Guests using my place for photo shoot

You should be careful with this. People could file defamation lawsuits and win.

Truth is an absolute defense against allegations of libel.

I hate to say ā€˜bring it onā€™ because itā€™s so corny, but bring it on. :slight_smile:

If someone rented our place for a vacation/weekend away and paid the appropriate price and then instead broke the house rules AND used the place for their own commercial gain, then Iā€™d name and shame.

Sorry, I know that youā€™re right. :slight_smile:
There IS the danger of lawsuits etc. and your advice is very valid. But Iā€™d just be so MAD!

Donā€™t allow it! Kick them out!

Update so farā€¦

I went down to the cottage this morning at 11.30 am, check out is 10.00am. Having had no response to my messages via Air bnb.
He and his guest are still there, they have no intention of leaving as the weather is bad, and worsening.

It is a shame that he is not communicating any of this with me. He is not prepared to adjust his booking to reflect the prolonged stay, as he says it is not his fault the weather is bad.

He says due to the weather he cannot now make his next job and is losing money.

I have called Air bnb, they were very helpful and confirmed he did not ask to use the cottage for his professional photo shoot prior to arriving. They are going to raise this with him at a later date. They are prioritising and want to address the issue of hime being resident after his original booking.

He will not answer his phone to them, or reply to their messages.

A tricky situation, there will be a negative outcome from this situation, for sure.

He was aggressive with me on the doorstep.

Blimey, isnā€™t life full of some unpleasant peopleā€¦ most are lovely!

What a jerk. Do keep us updated. Hopefully Air will be able to charge him and youā€™ll be giving him a bad review.

2 Likes

They as in Airbnb? I wouldnā€™t count on that.

I would want them to leave. The weather isnā€™t that bad, just a bit of snow!

1 Like

Did you already present him a bill for the commercial use? If yes, can we know how much you want him to pay extra?

Maybe him staying foot is just his way to retaliate. It surely is an interesting situation and gives a lot of food for thought. Since you made it to your rental, the snow canā€™t be that bad that he isnā€™t able to leave.

Letā€™s make a tiny poll for the bad weather payment issue :relaxed:ā€¦

1/ If guests ā€˜feelā€™ they are unable to leave because of bad weather should they pay for an extra night? Supposing no other guest is coming in.

• Yes, full rate
  • Yes, but a discounted rate
  • No, they can stay for free
  • No, they have to leave anyway

0 voters

2/ If guests are truly unable to leave because of bad weather (=official warning to stay put) should they pay for an extra night? Supposing no other guest is coming in or next guest is unable to come.

• Yes, full rate
  • Yes, but a discounted rate
  • No, they can stay for free
  • No, they have to leave anyway

0 voters

2 Likes

We thought our little bit of Kent had missed out on just a bit of snow over the last few days. Unfortunately it rained heavily this morning, which immediately froze on the cold ground as it fell. I then fell over in the physioā€™s car park on black iceā€¦ Now it is snowing full tilt, not just a bit and we are snowed in. At least the pub next door had a delivery this morning!

3 Likes

I am really sorry this is happening to you but glad that ABB are proving helpful. He sounds an entitled monster, as our American Cousins would say. So, heā€™s losing money but thatā€™s no more your fault than itā€™s his fault that itā€™s snowing. However, it is his fault that he chose to travel when there were clear severe weather alerts from the Met Office, which you also pointed out to himā€¦Given his aggression, I am also relieved to hear that you donā€™t live at the property.

Any chance of turning the utilities off???

2 Likes

Youā€™ll find thatā€™s actaully illegal I believe

If your guest refuses to check out at the end of the booking. Airbnb will charge him a much higher rate for the time he stays post check out.

This guy is behaving outrageously, he canā€™t just decide to stay without payment because the weather has turned bad.

What did you say when he said he was going to continue staying without payment?

Do you have some large friends who can go over there with you to ensure the guest leaves.

And it wasnā€™t clear from your earlier posts did he pay for his ā€˜assistantā€™ to stay at the property?

As he no longer has a right to be there I would be inclined to move into with 20 or so noisy friends and make sure you occupy the bathroom. And Iā€™m sure in this bad weather the internet could stop working :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Also just to add make sure you are documenting everything via the platform and perhaps take time stamped photos of their cars as evidence that they still there past check out.

Keep us updated!

2 Likes

It was a jokeā€¦ Sometimes it just helps to fantasise about revenge tactics. Perhaps the weather will take charge of them in opportunist manner! But in essence, if the guy is refusing to pay, heā€™s trespassing.

The A303 is apparently treacherous and blocked in places. I feel torn, as my head says fling them out, but my heart worries about where they will go.

All I can do is hope that they treat the cottage nicely. I am thinking of braving the weather to go and take photos of their cars still in the car port on the drive.

It is a separate dwelling to mine, along the village. I donā€™t want to aggravate the situation anymore, I am putting my trust in Air bnb totally to charge him accordingly.

He did book for 2 adults sharing the master room, so the scantily clad assistant was declared from the outset.

I have sent a claim for Ā£250 sterling for him using the cottage as a commercial venue, Air bnb confirmed that they could see that request in the resolution centre.
The guest has not replied to that request.

Additionally Ive sent a request via Air bnb asking him to adjust his booking to reflect the fact they are still resident in my cottage. The guest has not replied to that either.

But then he is ignoring Air bnbā€™s attempts to contact him too.

Must have incredible scruples, I just could not behave like this.

Joanā€¦ Im sorry to hear you fell over today, hot bath and maybe a hot toddy needed.

Thank all, will keep you updated, but I am mightily peed off, and praying that karma steps in.

2 Likes

I wouldnā€™t worry about anyone who behaved in such an appalling manner. They lied to you about their reasons for coming, and then refuse to leave or pay for additional time.

Are there not any hotels in your area that they can go to?

1 Like

I think you are absolutely doing everything right, including not aggravating the situation any further, given that they are still in your cottage/on your property.

Whatā€™s your situation in the village? Do you have a network of friends around you? I suppose Iā€™m thinking of what I would do in your circumstances but here. Such guests, if here, would probably go to the pub next door to eat this evening. I would make sure that the Landlady and people we know were fully aware of what was happening, just as a circle of support really. But then I havenā€™t factored the farmers in, who will undoubtedly be out in force tonight. Perhaps notā€¦ Perhaps Iā€™d prop the bar up to see if they came in and they would hopefully use it as an opportunity to settle issues and apologise to you.

Thinking on my feetā€¦

Had a hot shower, with the toddy to follow later. Iā€™d never get out of the bath, even if I managed to get in!

Not tricky, he is in the WRONG. Youā€™re in England? I thought it was a bit of snow? Or is it a blizzard?

You cannot just overstay without making arrangements. A few snowflakes do not mean you get to just not leave in defiance. What is wrong with people.

Air should take this seriously. I know they take a dim view of overstays. I think the guest has to pay double the nightly rate for each night they overstay.

Once he is out, you must leave a bad review for this embecile. Be sure to do it at the last second.

Keep us informed.

Next door?! Convenient! :rofl: