Guests took over the house

Honestly, I would not allow guests use of the kitchen. Either that or restrict usage to certain hours. Remember - you are in charge :slight_smile:

Considering that I already go crazy when my family-in-law takes over my kitchen for an hour, I will never ever allow guests kitchen useā€¦ UNLESS there sole objective is to cook us an exotic out-of-this-world delicious meal. :rofl:

1 Like

I had exactly the same issue with an Italian group and the fridge last year; although my guests donā€™t have kitchen use, they took over our fridge space completely, almost frantically, ramming bottles of water in every nook and cranny. I bought a mini-fridge for the guest dining room. No problem since, sorted!

Minifridge is a very good idea. I bought one too and it definitely helped .
But anyway when guestā€™s are being inconsiderate like this just tell them.
I have now very good guests , a couple . I can only imagine if I never said anything to them . They are staying now for 6 months butbin a behining they did many things wrong. They both like to cook and eat . Same story: filled fridge with their food, started occupying kitchen for hours despite my rules. Didnā€™t clean up well.
I pointed out to my rules, told them
I didnā€™t sign up to be a maid and clean up after them 3 times a day and they changed their behavior. Now itā€™s 6 months and I have no complains

2 Likes

Yana, youā€™re a great example of the way that hosts should educate guests. I wish that more hosts did.

1 Like

Yes specify kitchen hours etcā€¦ Donā€™t tell guests to make themselves at home! They can make themselves at home if they rent a whole apartment! No you canā€™t tell them when to be in or out, but if the option is just the bedroom then they will soon start going out!

Yana- When I tell my guests that kitchen is minimal use. They take revenge in their review that it was not advertised. I specifically say no kitchen access. Amenities is not tick marked. Then they like to take revenge by writing a review. Host was rude. No Amenities. To pricey for no amenities. Iā€™m surprised that host that are renting per room wonā€™t charge laundry charges. When we go to hotel its usually a lot for laundry. Again Iā€™m not comparing we are in hospitality industry. I feel some hosts are very easy and will allow guests to do whatever and then they expect the same from all hosts. Do they ever try to leave a bad review after you tell them not to use the kitchen?

Of courseā€¦ but what is more important for me ? Bad review or my rules to be observed?
I even took couple of those reviews off by pointing out yo Airbnb how guestā€™s didnā€™t read my rules and even say in their reviews / it was not mentioned in house rules .

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply. Facing the same issue. They are willing to fight and argue over kitchen some guests.