Guests took over the house

Of course! You can remove the kitchen! Your house, your rules! Don’t let the inmates take over!

What YOu are comfortable with is what you should do.

Believe me I was shaking in my shoes to have to tell the owners of the house that my friend had left a big burn mark on the counter! The sanding did work. You have to use a really fine grade sand paper and be careful but it can be done. This was a light colored Formica and I seriously thought my ship was sunk. Today you can’t e en tell there was ever a burn mark!

Memories, memories, my very first post…exactly a year ago!

What a chicken i was:) I had the same story with my mad cooks from Chili.
DOnt think for a second that they did not realize they are renting just a room. They are just rude, ill mannered inconsiderate people.
Seems like you have few guests now who did not behave themselves. One and only cure for stop having guests like is to SPEAK UP. If they are shouting, tell them to stop. After they burned your counter top i would forbid them going into the kitchen.
Many hosts here started out with allowing kitchen but then switched to light cooking only or no kitchen at all.
I have long term guests now and even with those i dont allow much kitchen use.
One of my guests and his wife yesterday made veggie casadias and she cleans better than me. Very nice people. But if i saw they left mess few times, this is when i would tell them and then if they still kept doing it, i would suspend their kitchen privileges.
You are the boss, not them.

4 Likes

Thank you. Yeah, I need to get tougher. I tend to avoid conflict, but this situation is ridiculous. In future I will set boundaries more clearly upfront. That will make it easier to say something when people cross the line.

1 Like

Many hosts limit or allow no kitchen use. I don’t include my kitchen. We have had guests on occasion that we have prepared a meal with so you can under promise and over deliver. We have limited our maximum stay to 4 nights and most of our stays are two nights and the guests eat out. We like shorter stays as it is a bedroom in our home and longer stays are stressful even when friends stay longer than 3-4 days.

We really learn a lot about ourselves when hosting, and we grow quite a bit as people. This sounds positively horrid - so sorry. Keep us posted.

2 Likes

I love it! That’s when I first met you! Thank goodness we’ve all come such a long way!

2 Likes

Yay! Well, I’m glad to hear you all have been through this kind of thing and are still hosting. I will see the state of things when I return home from work today.

Yes, i was ready to quit this whole thing of hosting, and i would if it was not for all of you helping souls:)

1 Like

Yes, and dont be afraid to speak up because its really not a bad thing to do:) I think its a actually a very good thing to do as not only you helping yourself but guests too.How would they learn something new on how to behave if their mother did not teach them, and they dont know any better??
It takes a village to raise a child. I say, it takes a bunch of good hosts to “raise” that perfect guest:)

2 Likes

@konacoconutz and @Yana_Agapova - you should really write a book - and the rest of us can chime in, too.

1 Like

One day one day:):slight_smile: I think all of us together will write a best seller
Just want to add, that i very rarely have prefect guests, most are “good enough”. The other little things dont particularly bother me if they dont make mess, dont wake me at 5 am, and dont steal, hehe.
The young guy that stays in downstairs room is what you call perfect, but thats may be because we just adore him:)
The shower guy now is well trained. Laundry is under control, no mess on a kitchen, no door slamming, takes out his garbage and turns of his ceiling fan.
What would happened ifi did not tell him?? I would go balisitic every time i heard laundry running, i would wipe floors every day and spray for ants 24 hours a day. He became in most parts perfect guests except showers.
But here i am not going to say anything, as i feel its the same as to control someone using a toilet.

He paid me 2 days ahead of a schedule. What can i say, i like him now:)

3 Likes

Yes… You have to say something. Sadly, most people have no clue they are being annoying!

2 Likes

so sorry to hear. My guests were not that bad but I am sure looking for some advice regarding a review: I just had two people staying with us for 2 weeks booking a private room. They were clean and respectful - but didnt leave the house at all during all this time. Before approving them I had explicitly asked whether they are here to work or as tourists - they said “job search”. but it turned out that the girl didnt look for a job at all and the guy left the house twice to go to an interview. other than that they only went to the supermarket, cooked, stayed in. I feel that they were respectful guests - but I also feel that renting a private room does not really mean that you can just stay in the flat all the time…? I want to be transparent about this to other guests as they planning on staying here a few more months maybe and have given up their home flat. what is your recommendation to deal with this?

Surely they can stay in if they want?

You can’t really control
How much time people spend in. You asked them why they are in town and you got your answer. You don’t know exactly what going on in there and the guy did go for interview. May be girl was looking for work online and didn’t get any interviews yet. But overall you can’t tell them how much time they spend in or out.

I just hosted a couple who made themselves at home a bit too well… I felt I was the guest in my one home! They were in holidays but stayed in all the time - kitchen, bathroom and living room busy and dirty all the time. (Who even comes to Italy just to watch tv and eat supermarket snacks?! Also the weather was great…) They were also really loud.
I never had this issue but I learnt my house rules need an update. Until now it was written something like “make yourselves at home but remember this is also our home”. From now on I’ll at least specify kitchen and silent hours and make sure my guests actually read the house rules.
I also don’t know how to review my guests since my rules were not exact… I agree that if you book a place you can spend there as much time as you want, but since the place is shared, I think it should be kind of obvious to use the space respecting others and occupying especially kitchen and bathrooms less possible.

1 Like

the girl told me on the first day that she isnt looking for a job since she just quit her job. she was basically just cooking for the guy who was looking. and if somebody is looking for a job in a new country, I dont think it is wrong to assume that they would leave the house, get to know the city, meet people, network… whatever. I just feel if people need a full time home they should pay the extra money to rent entire studios or flats and not rooms in people’s place - or at least maybe mention. but you are right - you cant control as long as “plan of the trip” is not part of airbnb booking.

1 Like

With people there is no such thing as common sense :grinning:

I heard so many nonsenses wiyhing these 3 years that I don’t think anymore that common sense is real .
Hosts who rely on common sense are in big trouble. :grinning:
It was already discussed here many times about kitchen use . Just put it out of limit or very limited like I did. I had my share of crazy cooks too. No more of that.
Not far as last year I had a young couple who started out cooking very little and in 2 days she spent on a kitchen 3 times a day, 1-2 hours each time. Until I chased her away from there . I literally told her to stop or I will kick her out.
I told her tht there are 2 more guest’s in a house plus us and because of her no one has piece and quiet here. She is always on a kitchen banging pots and pans and she needs to stop. I refer her to rules that she didn’t read and told her that like this she can cook at her home but not in mine. Her husband apologized, reassure me that they won’t cook at all and they stopped.
We were not friends with her after that and I could live with that as long as I didn’t see her on a kitchen anymore

3 Likes

I agree, but they don’t want to pay. That’s the problem. They don’t want to pay for separate place but want to treat your place where you live also as it’s is a separate unit but for little money.
I agree with you 100%

I am having the same issues. My guest are Italian. I believe it’s a culture thing. They cook all day long and I barely can spend time in my own kitchen. They leave there bags of food on the floor for any bug to get to. They moved my things around in the fridge to make room for their things. Literally squeezing my things in the fruit and veggie drawers. They only wash the dishes after each use but I found they were still dirty. There are crumbs dirt everywhere from floor to toaster oven.