Guests taking advantage of laundry

So, ultimately, it balances out. The ones who use it average in with those who don’t and the cost to you is still minimal. Maybe bumping your rate by a dollar or two could help you absorb the cost without the pay-per-use fees?

Some guests will rent a room with this purpose: to do laundry. In my city it will cost them 5$ for laundromat for 1 load without detegrent. SO if they stay in a hotel they need to buy detergent first and then spend 5$ per load. Not only that, they have to hang out in a laundromat for hours waiting… So, they rent Airbnb, where laundry is in amenities, bring their 1 month worth of clothes and the washing party begins.
One sweet couple rented my room for 50$, and did laundry that they brought in 2 huge black garbage bags for 4 hours. They used all our detergent which itself was 5$ and hangout all over the house, going to garage changing loads all night long.
I went to sleep but my husband worked in a garage, and in a morning he told me that they finished washing at 1 am.
he told me that he thinks they rented our room just to save on laundry cost, because they did 6 loads of laundry.
so, it would cost them 35$ to do all of their laundry, but why to spend that money if Airbnb exists.

That was first incidents and then the laundry addicted lawyer and then i put a stop to it.

2 Likes

No, it does not work this way. :slight_smile:

What is your nightly rate?

Hi @atomicpups

You’ve gotten a lot of good options here.

1. Cover the machine - large piece of fabric? Other?
  2. Take all the detergents out of the area - keep in a handy basket upstairs
  3. Switch breaker off
  4. Signs!!
  5. Remove it as an amenity and only offer it to longer-term guests.

I can only add one thing - go to Staples and purchase ‘coin envelopes’. Write on them (or print labels, easier) “Laundry per load $3 and leave a stack on the washer” BE SURE to review the cost at check-in. Don’t let it be awkward - it’s not awkward to go to Starbucks and buy a $4 coffee and pay the $4. Attempt to remove the awkwardness from your mind when asking and they will be less likely to feel awkward. “Hey, I saw you got some laundry done - here’s the envelope for the payment”

But I have found that these things are often ‘rashes’. Often the behavior does stop with the next guest. I don’t know why this is, but it seems so - do other hosts agree? If it hasn’t been a problem in the past perhaps just a small adjustment is needed. How many times have we all, after a ‘rash’ of some kind, sat down at our laptops and hammered out a whole new list of rules - with bullet points?!

But I also think it’s confusing to hosts and guests to have different guidelines depending on the length of stay or number of guests (I used to do this). It’s easier for everyone to have ONE set of guidelines. “Laundry available for $1 per load” or something. OR, just hike your price a bit so you are content with the cost/expense ratio.

Or, as @KKC said, just eliminate it as an amenity. Chances are excellent that your laundry hog guests just see ‘laundry’ checked as an amenity and never see the stipulations.

Also, you can just move on. I did have guests who did a lot of laundry, but then I reasoned - they were the only group out of almost 70 that did so while most never do - so I can just let it go and it evens out. I recently had guests that wanted me to wash towels every day (OK so I should have stopped that one) but again, first guest in over a year who’s done so. I can let it go. It’s not worth the bother and stress (OK, I did stress a bit…).

If you can’t let it go, and the ‘rash’ continues, then choose one of the excellent suggestions the other veteran hosts mentioned. Or all. ; )

Let us know what works for you!

2 Likes

Off season is 50$. In season more. The lawyer got a 300$ a week rate as Septembers here are the slowest months.
The couple paid 50$.
I remember also one request for 1 night: I know the room is only for 2 but its 3 of us and we have sleeping bag. We also are wondering if we can do our laundry, we travelled for a month and have no clean clothes left. And again, the room is 50$

Its not that confusing. I dont mention laundry if people stay less then 5 days, i only mention it for longer stays, and i always ask please collect laundry, we are preserving energy, and only 2 loads per week please. Most answer that of course, 2 is plenty, which it is in fact! I can not stand when i see 2 pairs of underwear in a whole load. Its not just money but such a waste of everyhting

1 Like

Those are some pretty good suggestions. I like the idea of keeping the detergents out of the area, but they could just bring their own.

Having the machines on their own circuit, and switching that on only temporarily/as needed is a bit aggressive, but might be workable. I assume that is what “Switch breaker off” means. It depends on how often the machines need to be used too, i suppose. It might be a pain if the family itself is using it frequently.

A machine with a coin slot, like they have in commercial laundromats, is appealing, but it seems those machines are big and the selection is limited. Though @felixcat said something about add-ons being available. Though that might just apply to the US.

1 Like

…and they’d be knocking on your bedroom door at 3 am to ask for quarters for the machine… and we’d have a whole new post, lol! :laughing:

5 Likes

I seem to remember machines exist that can take paper currency, but perhaps not washing machines. :slight_smile: And do guests often do their laundry at 3 am?

1 Like

I had the same problem. So this is what I did. I got a sign and wrote down that they are welcome to use the machines for $3/ a load and put a jar along with the sign on the shelf above my machines and they would always leave the money there and I would never have to have that conversation with them. It worked for me you should try it

This is my theory EXACTLY…They are renting rooms with “free” laundry… JUST to do laundry!!!

2 Likes

Hi,
I do not have a problem with people over using the laundry, but if you are in an area with a lot of short term traffic, consider raising your daily cost $3 to $5 a night to off set the electric and water costs. Turn the abuse into a charge.
It would be good, as a host not to be so easily irritated by other people’s behavior. Write it off as that is just what people do. If they do laundry before you meet them, that is technically their right because the have pre-paid for the room and are allowed access and there are no restrictions until check out.
Over loading the washer is my only bug a boo. Wet clothes does not equal clean clothes, so put a picture instruction sheet up if you need to.

2 Likes

I disagree. As a host, we need to set boundaries. Just because you can make an irritant into a “charge” doesn’t mean you should. Hosting should be about set expectations for behavior, not letting people take advantage, run amok and justify it to yourself by charging extra.

There’s this thing called peace of mind… remember?

A successful ABB needs to be a balance of guest and host needs–not letting guests run amok.

Just how would tacking on $5 a night help Yana’s situation where people are renting at a low rate just to come and do laundry? Loads and loads and loads at all hours? that is TOTALLY RIDICULOUS. It crosses the line and a host needs to be firm.

5 Likes

I imagine some guests taking some of the currency bills from the jar hahaha

2 Likes

Had two girls just arriving from the INTERNATIONAL airport and the first thing they asked was where is the washing machine and they went straight ahead to do laundry, a FULL suitcase of laundry, I can’t imagine going abroad and bringing only dirty clothes to another country, what’s with this behaviour?

3 Likes

Maybe they are coming from another vacation spot without a laundry

2 Likes

Nope, asked them, they came straight from home

I can TOTALLY imagine working myself to exhaustion at my job trying to get ready to go, and then having to just throw everything in the bag. OR going home from work ready to throw my laundry in before packing and the laundry breaking down…I can imagine all sorts of disasters!

2 Likes

Still it does not mean someone can bring all their dirty laundry to a hosts house. My life and my desisions are not anyone’s responsibility but mine.

3 Likes