Guests Smoking...Boot Them?

I would boot them. Hard.

It’s the calling it “an accident” that would enrage me.

What were their other reviews like? If they are new, someone needs to teach them a lesson, that actions have consequences.

In the future you could put a no-smoking sign on the patio with mention of the HOA fine.

5 Likes

It that how it works with the security deposit?? If a guest breaks a rule which costs the host money they can just say they don’t want to pay it and then they have no obligation to pay? If so, why have a security deposit? It is BS!
In my rules I list things with an asterisk then state, (***) = Any violation of these rules will result in termination of the reservation and forfeiture of all fees and security deposit.
Can the guest override this just by saying no thanks?

1 Like

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/help/article/140/how-does-airbnb-handle-security-deposits

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/help/article/352/what-happens-if-a-host-makes-a-claim-on-my-security-deposit

1 Like

@cabinhost I am also very disappointed in Air for not really stepping in and supporting the innocent party here, me the host. They called the guest, who didn’t answer, and were suppose to give them a firm talking to. Really, that all they get for breaking the house rules?

@felixcat Yes, I live in the equivalent of the USSR. The board consists of 3 people that are on the biggest power trip ever.

@dcmooney Yes, I tried to no avail. Since I was speaking to a ‘Case Manager’ there was no where else to go. I am thinking about blasting Air on Twitter as that usually gets some response.

@Garden1Gnome Pretty enraged as well. The cavalier attitude is what did it for me. They had 3 good reviews. Of course my HOA also has rules about signage on the patio - LMAO

@Rebecca1 @Paul_Janaway If the guest doesn’t accept the fine then Air becomes the neutral 3rd party mediator. If you, the host, do not have documentation exactly how Air asks for it, then they deny your claim. For example they refused to pay us a lock our charge because the invoice was not on official company letter head with a description of the service. Apparently ‘Lock Our Service’ was not descriptive enough for them.

As for what we are doing. The hubs convinced me to give them one more chance as he thought their email showed remorse, and that they were generally just idiots. I’m opening a case in the resolution center as soon as they check out for the fine. I am tempted to do it now but I worry ‘what else’ they may do if they already think I"m keeping their deposit.

4 Likes

Have found this to be true as well. Air seems to farm out their CS to virtual call centers around the nation… Discouraging to get a rep who knows less than you do and you have to school them! Have had it happen!

1 Like

That does seem like overstepping… But if you think about some buildings where smoking is not even allowed within 200 feet of the entrance. True in Hawaii.

2 Likes

Unfortunatley, you can’t really enforce that. The security deposit is strictly for damages and you have to go through a confrontation process with the guest. If they deny, Air makes a decision and they don’t always side with you. You can’t take their deposit for breaking the rules. Terminating their reservation is possible, but Air may end up refunding. Air has their own terms which supersede yours…hosts have very little control. :frowning:

1 Like

VERY VERY TRUE. As we have just gone through a different issue with AIR and were awarded a measly $25 out of a $200 claim.

2 Likes

No one can smoke outside?

1 Like

Boot the HOA!

5 Likes

Trust me I have tried!!! We even have a HUD complaint filed

UPDATE: As promised Air finally got ahold of the problem guest and they were ‘very apologetic’ and told Air they would pay for any fees associated with the smoking. SO, my level headed, Swedish husband’s calmness has prevailed once again. I’m still going to leave a bad review and I"m a little worried about the condition of my flat when I go home tomorrow, but those are the joys of hosting.

5 Likes

You’ll get there and won’t even be able to tell they were smokers. Question: if you get there and everything is perfect except for the complaint from you HOA how would you address this in the review?

1 Like

This is a good point. If things were resolved, the guests apologized and are going to pay, should you still mention it in a review? I do hope for your sake the flat is ok. Maybe they will take extra care with cleaning it up…hope so.

When I have resolved things in resolution and guests have apologized, I usually just let it go and not review.

1 Like

Yes. The broke a house rule that is mentioned in my listing 3 times, and then 2 more times in the welcome letter. I feel like not mentioning it would be rewarding their complete disregard for my rules. We have spoken so many times on this forum about our obligation to other hosts to warn them of problem guests. I agree these guests apologized and are making amends, but they still screwed up.

I am open to thoughts/discussion about this, as you @konacoconutz do make valid points

4 Likes

Since you mention it in the listing and the welcome letter and they called it an “accident” I’d be annoyed and would mention it in the review. Honestly, I don’t even like to have tobacco smokers staying in my space, even if they don’t smoke on my property. Their entire body and breath exudes a stench, at least that’s been my experience. 4 out of 5 smokers here have left a smell in the room. The one that didn’t was smoking those “native american” natural cigs. I don’t know if that had anything to do with it. I’d ban smokers entirely regardless of where they do the smoking except for the fact that it’s not something I can control.

1 Like

That’s the kicker, right! I also find it hard to believe they didn’t ‘read’ the welcome letter because I have not had one question about wifi, location of flat (its a little tricky), or how to use our cooktop (German induction which Americans can never figure out). So, I don’t think they ‘didn’t know’,I think they thought I wouldn’t know.

1 Like

Maybe there’s a way to mention it although you are forbidden from mentioning a case or resolution in the review I think.

Unfortunately, guests smoked in our patio in violation of our house and of the HOA rules. The association called us and assessed a fine for the violation. Cannot recommend as our rules clearly state this is a non smoking property, although the guests apologized and paid the fine.

Something like that.

1 Like

But I could mention they broke a house rule as long as I dont say I opened a case?

1 Like

Yes, that’s how I would approach it. If you mention the case they can remove it.