Guests smoked when rules say no

My listing is Eco home, only eco products etc… I used to just say no smoking but I changed my rules to say “absolutly no smoking inside or out” as I want to discourage smokers from booking and I don’t want smoking anyway.

Well one of my last guests arrived smoking quickly threw it onto road before coming I was thinking oh god, anyway the house didn’t smell or the sheets this time but I found about 20 cigarettes in a Bottle in the bin and a half used one on back porch, should I leave them a bad review?

They also said they forgot to book for another kid so ended up being 5 instead of 4 people

1 Like

Of course you should leave a bad review.

1 Like

I would also have sent them an amended booking request for the extra person (child). No-one ‘forgets’ how many children they have !

2 Likes

First they break your house rules, and then they cheat you out of a guest fee. OF COURSE you give them a bad review stating just that – they broke your no smoking house rule, and they “forgot” an extra guest and did not pay for that person to stay.

1 Like

Yes give a bad review, mark them down on stars as well.

You’ve already changed your wording but maybe you should add the international “no smoking” sign to the pictures in your listing. I also suggest you become more firm in running your airbnb. When you saw him throwing the cigarette you should have mentioned it. “There is no smoking on the premises. I saw you littering with your cigarette. Please don’t smoke here and don’t leave your butts in my waste bins.” And then charge for the extra person as soon as they arrive. We get angry when someone doesn’t say anything to our face but slams us in the review. Likewise it’s not fair to guests to fail to tell them what you want to their face but hit them in the review.

4 Likes

I would definitely mention that in the review so other hosts can make a decision on whether or not to host these people if they have a non-smoking household. This is what I have in my rules:

“No Smoking Anywhere On Property. I have a strong personal reason for this so please respect this rule. Smokers should consider another home.”

Omg same issue. My guest said 3 people but had 4 due to an 11 year old girl. I have a no children policy. There is also no smoking and the father didn’t mention that he did. I noticed on my deck camera that he was smoking and I hope he hasn’t left his butts on my deck. I am more worried about the smoke smell in my new bedding. I haven’t said anything because he does it quickly.

Are these the Italian guests? How long have you been a host?

Yes these are the same guests. I have been hosting for a little over a year.

You need to tighten up your rules. When you say no children and someone shows up on your doorstep with a child you don’t let them in. Call Airbnb and get them cancelled. When you put No smoking on the property and someone smokes you call Airbnb and get them cancelled. Put limited hours for your kitchen or put only microwave and refrigerator, no cooking. Are these folks in 2 rooms or packed into one room? And I hope their booking is over soon.

2 Likes

This is doing a favour for everyone. Hosts need to know about this and guests need to know that their behaviour is not acceptable.

Would it help to say “no guests under age 18”? For some there is perception that “no children” means ages 0-12.

They leave Monday. They booked 2 rooms but I had to pull out an air mattress so no one was on the floor. Don’t get me wrong they are a nice family but I’m 9 1/2 months pregnant and this is a bit stressful now.

Is this a typo or are you overdue? And you could go into the hospital at any minute leaving a family that isn’t very considerate in your home?

No typo. It could be any day now. But women are pregnant for 40 weeks not 9 months.

1 Like

Just caught my guests smoking when rules say no smoking on property. So pissed. They asked where they could smoke. Could they go down the road and smoke? I said no and told them that they need to understand we are currently in a red flag warning for fire danger and if one starts it’s homes, crops and livestock that are lost. They again pressed me for where they could smoke. I said they could make the 10 mile drive to town and find a place.

Given that they asked so many times where they could smoke I get the sense they are people who cannot do without their nicotine and will just smoke anyway and since I caught them because I live 60ft away I’m sure they will go inside and do it now (they were outside on the lawn smoking sitting above a hill that is dry as death natural cover grasses. Nice.

Pissed. Why do people have to be this way? Why can’t they follow simple rules and/or find a place that meets all their needs? These are the people who pulled the ESA stunt on me.

I messaged the guy who made the reservation through Air so it was on the record. He was in town picking up dinner.

I don’t think I have the answer to that.

So now you have a dilemma. What are your options? Deal with smoking inside? Cancel the reservation for violation of rules now and get the bad review but avoid the smoking inside?

Maybe suck it up and take an ashtray or can of dirt over and say something along the lines of “smoking isn’t allowed on the property anywhere but since you are here…” Give them a spot to smoke and a safe place to put their butts so they aren’t driving down the road in the rental car with the windows open and throwing them out the window (and starting a fire) so they don’t stink up the rental car. Grit your teeth, bite your tongue and then write your review afterwords.

Yanno… I’m just too pissed to talk to them right now.

They have 18hrs left on their reservation and I’m counting every minute.

This group has taken so much of my time from the moment it was booked a month ago. Message after message asking for advice on the area which I happily answered because I like being an ambassador for our beautiful valley. Then the ESA and there was a whole issue with bar-b-quing I haven’t mentioned previously. They were dead set on it - REALLY wanted to but the Department of Ecology issued an outdoor burning ban due to unhealthy air quality plus we have a red flag warning for fire danger so I let them know a couple days before they arrived that it looked like a no-go but last night the air got a little better and they pressed me again to bar-b-que so I said okay that’s why I was over there. I tried to message them through Air but they didn’t respond so I went to ask if I would need to set up it up for them. Obviously they weren’t planning on my popping over even though where they were sitting they could see me watering my vegetable garden right before I came up.

I feel so disrespected. There is no way they did not know this was a no-smoking property. NONE. I make it very clear.

This will be this guy’s first Air review. He’s been nice and I didn’t see him smoking so all I feel I can say is his friends broke the rules but who knows, he may be a smoker too.

That’s it! They are gone. My neighbor just texted me that the guests were smoking by the mailbox where it is all tall dry grass. She is fearful of fire and asked me to stop them. I am calling air.

So mad i’m shaking.