Guests show up more than agreed

ALWAYS AND ONLY contact guests on the AirBnB messaging platform. Air will NOT support you if the messages are on another platform.

I communicate with guests via text, email or whatapp for lots of things. For starters, I have to send them a map to my place, or they’ll never find it. So I need their email address for that. Then I might include in that email any info they need for taking the bus from the airport, etc. Sometimes they’ll email me back and ask me something.
And when they arrive in town, I pick most of them up at the bus station, so they call or text me when they arrive.

Not communicating off-platform is important if it concerns anything which has the potential to be contentious, though, for sure.

1 Like

Ask @Lucienne .

the location on airbnb says it’s always approximate.

Guests are given the actual address after the free cancellation period. Unless your place is hard to find, guests don’t need you to send them the location pin.

2 Likes

Airbnb wants communication on the platform but they will support you if you communicate in texts.

A couple years ago I had a situation where a guest communicated via text not on the platform. I submitted screen shots as documentation & it was accepted.

I think phone conversations are the problem (he said, she said)

2 Likes

I had a canceling guest harass me by both text and voicemail and Airbnb had me send them both. But I wouldn’t count on anything being consistent either.

1 Like

Ah the capriciousness of ABB CS! Mine were rejected…

1 Like

hmmm… Didn’t know that… Somehow many of them ask for a pin on whatsapp.

Hi again.

This guest is back home now and case has finally come to a closure. The correct amount was actually paid through Airbnb and a lesson learnt. Once a guest starts with a problem, it won’t end there. They were obviously not happy that they were caught and had to be charged extra. I think it came their prerogative that they do a bad review, obviously on a different subject. It was my only bad review in 3 years. Am I allowed to produce a picture here?

Many guests don’t bother to really read anything thoroughly, check their Airbnb messages, or pay attention. They find it easier to ask you a question, like to send them a location pin, than to actually look at the booking info. Or they are too lazy to just type the address into Google maps or some other map app. Some guests will ask for your phone number, when hosts’ and guests’ phone numbers are provided to each other as soon as a booking is confirmed. Also, some guests don’t have their Airbnb notifications turned on, so they don’t get alerts and don’t even know they have messages waiting.

I don’t think there are any rules against posting a screenshot or copy of a review you received here.

1 Like

Not once a guest has booked @Lucienne