Guests request to sleep outside in a Rooftop Tent Liability?

My property sleeps 10 and I have 9 guests booked Next week for a weekend. One couple wants to sleep in their roof top tent so they aren’t sharing a room. I’m okay with that, however if I agree are there any implications to me as a Host? It’s quite dark outside and there are stairs up to the property. I do have one downstairs toilet. I’m not sure that it’s a good idea for their safety. Am I over thinking it?

Frankly I don’t know why you’re even thinking of allowing it in the first place.

That seems like a huge liability issue, and a law suit waiting to happen. Why is there even access to the roof that guests would know of, in the first place?? Railing around the roof? Sleepwalker? Lack of Lighting for safety purposes

2 Likes

I would say “NO” on the Airbnb message platform to have it on record. They will do it anyway but at least you declined their request. So if they fall down and sue you at least there’s a record of you not giving permission. They can still sue you but at least there’s something in writing saying that it’s not acceptable.

Are we talking about the roof of their truck/van or your building?

1 Like

This is what I was thinking, they are tenting on the top of their truck or car.

Assuming this is a pop up on a vehicle. I would be OK as it is not over your guest limit. I assume they’re car campers and used to managing in the dark. I confess my first reaction was a positive thought of “one less set of sheets to wash.”

1 Like

They are more likely to get hurt climbing down from the rooftop tent versus navigating a real set of stairs. But I bet they have headlamps/flashlights so darkness isn’t an issue. The guy will just pee in the yard/outside so think about that and your neighbors/security camera(s).

one less toilet to get splashed on!

RR

1 Like

Gosh, it’s been so long since we had a convo about the appropriateness of men peeing outdoors when there is an indoor bathroom available. It’s got a warm spot in my heart next to duvets, kettles and cotton over microfiber.

5 Likes

Lol, i just pee’d outside and left a warm spot in the snow.

RR

I just love my kettle, heats the water right up

2 Likes

If they have a roof top tent, which I assume means their own rig, rather than sleeping on your roof, I’m sure they are accustomed to camping out, have flashlights or head lamps and can navigate without an accident.

I’d say you’re over-thinking it and it’s no big deal.

1 Like

Yes a tent on their car roof.

In that case, I agree with Muddy

As long as your neighbors aren’t going to object then I don’t see a problem. They could easily do that without even asking your permission since they aren’t over the guest limit.

Don’t you mean “heats the soup right up?”

Agreed. Just mention that they should pee indoors, please, as the smell of human urine is impossible to get out of the lawn/bushes (don’t ask me how I know this…)

2 Likes

How do you know that?

:stuck_out_tongue:

JF

1 Like

Thanks I’m allowing the tent and have specified where they need to park and it’s right near the spare downstairs toilet encase nature calls.