Guests left before time - should I repay them?

I’ve done this a few times – left early due to random, no-drama circumstances and I don’t request a refund because I don’t need it and I would never expect a host to absorb the cost of my last minute decision to leave early when they could have booked to someone else. In fact, I’m leaving a night early over this coming holiday weekend so the kids don’t miss any school on Tuesday – the only reason I even mention I’m leaving early to my hosts is in the event that they want to take advantage of the larger window for turn-over.

I would actually feel bad if my host refunded money due to me leaving early… (On the host side, I’ve offered to refund money to younger guests when I didn’t need to when someone broke their leg – I felt like they had such a crappy trip that was cut short that this would help them recover some lost costs, so I empathize with the compulsion to “be nice”).

3 Likes

No refunds.

If they are nice guest, we give them a discount voucher for a next stay, or for one of their friends or relatives. Guest is happy, and we may get a new booking out of it, without spending extra money (or loosing money).
A 10% discount for a direct booking, is still less than the 15% Air takes.

4 Likes

I have given them a refund AND asked them not to mention it if they decide to give us a review

In my case, I put it in the messaging, and tell them my note there is a reminder for both of us. They simply request to book the next time rather than IB, and I send a special offer with discount.
It costs next to nothing, since most ‘credits’ go unused, and when they are used it means a repeat drama-free guest. My favourite kind.

3 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

6 Likes

When in doubt, always listen to your husband.

Yeah, I’m pretty sure that is what happened to the dinosaurs.

10 Likes

do hotels refund you if you leave earlier??? I dont think so…;(

3 Likes

Sometimes. But there’s no reason to compare how hotels do things with Airbnbs, anyway. They are run on a different business model.

4 Likes

Despite them being run on a different business model. it shouldn’t preclude people in other forms of the same or a similar business comparing some of their processes, services, pricing structure etc especially as its easy to make the link between them being in a similar line of the hospitality industry.

2 Likes

Actually I think they do. They have the cleaning staff in place to get the room ready for a new guest. Unless you’ve made a non-refundable reservation, you just pay for the nights you stayed.

1 Like

It depends on what type of listing you have, I suppose. A private room homeshare that the host cleans and manages themselves has as little of value to compare to a hotel as a little home-based sewing clothing business does to Calvin Klein, IMO.

1 Like

i did say ‘comparing some of their processes, services, pricing structure’ - i think the original post was about how to deal with a guest and a specific issue. To suggest that a small business cant possibly learn or improve from comparing their processes to one of a larger ‘player in the "room to let market’ might seem to come across as a bit arrogant, also IMHO …

and perhaps the home based sewing clothing business might learn something from the thread … :grinning:

1 Like

Yes & no. Business travel—I’ve left a day early or stayed an extra day many times.
If I left before normal checkout time, yes they refunded.
Left at 5:00 pm to catch late flight, no refund.

2 Likes

Giving refunds for unstayed nights is something totally irrelevant to compare. Hotels have 24 hour reception and plenty of walk-in business, not just reservations. Guests might be driving, feel they need to sleep, see a vacancy sign, and walk in and get a room at midnight.

They also have on salary housekeeping that can be sent in to clean a room for the next guest on short notice.

2 Likes

i think you may be missing my point somewhat, its not about the specific issue of a refund, its about how they deal with a guest issue and there is plenty to be learned from others on that subject. The OP didn’t state they did it as a business decision in the hope that the guest may return, or recommend to others etc. but I think the OP made a sound business decision without them realising or considering it as one, they were just trying to be nice and there’s nothing wrong with that IMHO. Of course others may choose to do it differently and make a business decision that might work just as well for their business, however big or small it might be.

1 Like

Certainly there is much to take into consideration when dealing with guest issues. What I am saying is that how a hotel deals with guest issues may be irrelevant, because their business model is based on different factors.

For instance, if a guest causes damage in a hotel, the hotel has the guest’s credit card info and simply docks them for the damage. Hosts can’t do that, so would have to approach the issue of guests causing damage differently.

Regarding refunds, as far as I’m concerned, there’s no hard and fast rules to follow- it’s up to the host to decide if a refund is appropriate to the circumstances.

2 Likes

but how do you know its irrelevant until you actually compare or consider how they deal with similar issues? you only know its relevance after considering how 'someone else (corporate or individual) ’ manages their processes.

I think you actually agree we can all learn from others, it appears you only disagree on how much we can learn from others … and i am learning all the time !

1 Like

Definitely - every guest is a new lesson. :slight_smile:

The funny thing is that although many people proclaim that Airbnb disrupted that travel industry it was really Conrad Hilton, Kemmon Wilson (the founder of Holiday Inn) and a certain Mr Marriot who really disrupted the hospitality business in the first half of the twentieth century.

It’s all providing accommodation; it’s all hospitality.

Read more.

3 Likes

Another busy day in Casa JF, now just after midnight and finally managed to sit down and splitting a bottle of €1.90 cava with OH. Sadly, both of us are up around 6:30 so it’s a quick glass of bubbles then bed.

I swithered about flagging your post as spam, but on the basis I’m feeling well chilled and in a benevolent mood I’ll let it stand :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ve heard the “comparison” arguement in relation to STR’s and hotels so many times now that it bores me, and I’m sure many others.

Apples and pears, or leeks and onions, phrase it how you will, they are very different elements within the overall hospitality sector.

Having a fairly in depth knowledge (sadly :wink:) of both, I don’t see much crossover in respect of business processes between an in home Airbnb host and a Marriot for example. The business models are so far apart that other than providing a bed for the head (copyright you know hoo), it’s difficult to work out common benchmarks, other than the blatantly obvious :rofl:

My young nephew is GM of half a dozen mid/upper range hotels in the Twin Cities area, and we’ve done to death over the years the debate/discussion/argumento relating to STR’s and hotels, all in good humour I must add.

We can always learn shit, I mean every day is a school day, but to be frank, @muddy wouldn’t walk away with anything significant from a half day sit down with my young nephew. He on the other hand…

:blush:

JF

4 Likes

You keep saying the same thing over and over and haven’t understood anything I’ve said. I know how hotels operate and it bears little in the way of relevancy to Airbnb hosts because their business model is completely different.

Hotels have security staff to deal with unruly guests, Airbnb hosts do not.

Hotels have 24 hour reception. It doesn’t matter when a guest checks in.

Hotels have housekeeping services on staff.

Hotels send all their laundry out to professional services. They purchase linens and towels in massive bulk.

No one is going to “suspend” a hotel from operating because a guest complained that there were security cameras.

As John says, apples to oranges. I couldn’t care a whit how hotels handle things. But I’ve learned a ton from other hosts.

2 Likes