Guests ignoring basic rules.. like closing windows when they leave

haha My mum had a shock to see her pretty bin filled with poo paper when we visited her in UK. Told her to just MOVE the bin! It’s difficult to change what you’ve been taught!

I think reverse psychology must work as well. I specifically say in the house manual “We do not expect you to spend your last day cleaning - that is the Housekeeper’s (i.e. my) job when you leave. Just remember to pack everything you brought and leave the keys!” Never had anyone except the Danish Girls from Hell leave a mess!

A friend who is a psychologist suggested that the words the guest see subliminally are “spend your last day cleaning”!

I don’t care if they leave the windows open it’s Southern California where I am and the weather is mild. What gripes me is when they leave the AC on when they leave. That doesn’t seem to happen anymore as I have posted signs right by the exit about turning the AC off before you leave for the day.

great point gardenhosts

Is it called loo’s change?

1 Like

Sorry… iPad typo. Bring lots of change for the loos.

No no, I wasn’t talking about any typo your end. It was just a play on the term ‘loose change’.

My toilet humour :smiling_imp:

2 Likes

I know you’ve quoted the bard to say that puns were the lowest form of humour… that’s my jokes down the drain!

1 Like

But he used the pun to great effect!

2 Likes

He was a pundit!

2 Likes

And irony too, since we are also on that topic.

My mistress’ eyes are nothing like the sun…

1 Like

I wonder… in the Globe slow season did Wills rent out his extra room on Air? :rofl:

After all “there’s nothing new under the sun.”

1 Like

I’ve been using the platform as a guest quite often recently and found, to my horror, that I did this same thing. Then I realized that the reason I didn’t think to turn the air off is that I never turned it on in the first place, the host did, and she didn’t show me at check-in where the thermostat was or remind me to turn it off when I left, and there were no reminder signs. And, frankly, I’m used to hotels where they don’t expect you to be energy-conscious. So all of my guest mistakes were typical of guests new to the platform.

I’m late to this conversation but what seems to work for me (mostly) is when booking, I always ask guests whether they have had a chance to read the “house-rules” I’ve posted. I go on to state that it is important to me that they both know expectations for the house and are also comfortable with them to insure that neither of us is taken by surprise and that the experience is good for both of us.
Then a few days before arrival when I’m checking in to set up an eta that works for both of us I then ask them to review the house rules before arriving so they are fresh on their minds. Additionally, when I take them around the house and show them the room I mention that the windows do open but of course it’s important to close them when they leave to prevent anyone breaking into the house. (the room faces the street and is on the ground floor).
In almost 4 years of doing Airbnb, I’ve rarely had anyone who forgot and if they do I will either speak to them about how important this is (for their own things as well) or email them if I won’t be seeing them.

1 Like

Yes, his listing content was in iambic pentameter and his House Rules section was a sonnet!

2 Likes

Go on, take a stab at it, Astaire!

1 Like

And if guests dared break house rules…

It was Double Double, Toil and Trouble,

that, and … a Pox on those guests!!!

Or a trip to the Tower?? Forced to drink their ale cold??

3 Likes

Astaire, a page from my favorite little London travel guide…

1 Like

How do you “pass on” an extra fee to a guest after they have left?

Astaire, check this out. London was the origin of the top hat.

1 Like