Guests ignoring basic rules.. like closing windows when they leave

I work full time and am usually gone by they time they get up. Consequently I come home to bedroom windows left wide open so I’m heating or cooling the backyard. I have signs (signs signs everywhere a sign) asking them to shut windows and doors. It’s posted right next to the door. Still they leave windows and doors open. It’s in my online house manual. I remind them.
Getting tired of heating/cooling the neighborhood… and what if it rains???

1 Like

Put in house rules that if they do this you will ask for extra $$ via Air. Other than that, I do not know as I have found that apparently, MOST OF MY GUESTS CANNOT READ!

I’ve found if you give them a negative consequence that directly affects THEM, they are more likely to listen (people are becoming increasingly self centred).

Eg., ‘please close the windows otherwise the bugs will get in’
‘Please close the windows to ensure security of your belongings’
‘Please close the windows so your stuff doesn’t get ruined if it rains’
‘Please close the windows as the neighbourhood cat likes to come in and puke up hair balls on your clothes’

17 Likes

bahahah, good one!!!

Ugh, what a pain. I have to admit, however, it would be hard for me to remember to close the windows. I live in Southern California where the weather is mild. Except for winter I always leave all the windows in the house and the back doors open. If I woke up and was puttering around the house; I’d probably forget to go back to the guest room and close the windows. Do you have a large sign in a bright color on the exit door to the house? Maybe if they’re hit with it on the way out they’ll remember.

1 Like

I might close any windows and doors that are in the common spaces when I left. Then a guest would have to open them if they wanted, and perhaps they would then remember to close?

I think you’re on the mark on this one because it has worked for me for years.

In my “friendly” welcome letter, I state what to do or not to do and the reason or consquence.

For instance, “Please do not feed the birds that may land on the balcony because they could bring avian flu and mites into the condo.” (I made that up but never again had a problem with guests feeding the birds.)

Here’s another I made up: “After turning off the A/C, wait 3 minutes before turning it back on or it could blow a fuse (Manufacturer’s instr.)” …(giggle)

and…“Please clean stove-top and oven after use to avoid additional cleaning charge.” (The housecleaner says she never had a problem after that note was included.)

Here’s a good one: “If smoke occurs while cooking, do not open the door to vent or it will trigger the fire alarm for the entire building.” (Not true.)

People seem to follow rules better when they know there are consequences.

7 Likes

Lock. The. Windows. If they’re like some that have handles that turn to open/lock, then remove the handles.

I hope you’re not serious. If guests can’t open the windows how would they get out in case of an emergency?

4 Likes

What’s the real reason for waiting 3 minutes for the air conditioner, out of curiosity?

@Gardenhost

My mistake…I thought I made up the 3 min. pause rule about restarting the A/C but the housecleaner said it was a “real” one from the manufacturer.

It was for a small 6,000 BTU unit that was in my rental many years ago which has since been replaced with a 10,000 BTU (12,000?). It no longer applies but guests seem to obey the warning so I still include the instruction and sign I placed on the A/C unit.

I believe the reason for the 3-min. delay had to do with the circuit breaker tripping or blowing a fuse if the motor became over-heated from changing cycles…something like that.

I gave the little unit to the housecleaner and she has the instruction book.

1 Like

As a new host myself and after scouring this forum, it just rings true that no matter how many signs and instructions are posted, guests will not read them or follow. I’ve had 10 guests so far and my cleaning crew is the first to see our place after check out, so as long as nothing is damaged I only get a thumbs up from them that nothing is broken or missing. Nothing about how the place is left. It is after all, their job to clean it up.

I’m commenting because this past weekend I beat the cleaners to the property this time and got to see first hand how my last guests left the place. When I first walked in, I was pleasantly surprised. I had six guests, 4 20 something year old men and two women. The place seemed clean and tidy, the beds were actually made and no dishes were dirty and trash was taken out. (my cleaner does not do dishes or take out trash) Upon closer inspection, the table had food left out and crumbs all over. The coffee maker had stale coffee in the caraffe and filter was not cleaned. They left a humidifier on and dry, the gas wall heater was left on, and finally the water was not shut off as requested and the wood burning stove was full of ashes. All of these things were on a check-out check list posted beside the front door. They were lucky, if my cleaners had found the dirty coffee maker and ashes in the stove, they would have charged me $25 twice to clean up both, which I would have passed on to them. I politely let them know in private comments. I guess this will be the first of many frustrations as far as this goes. In the end, none of these offenses is really worth getting upset about or compromise safety or security, except for maybe leaving the heat on for cost and safety… but regardless I’m expecting that this will become a regular occurrence.

I had to do that about not putting toilet paper down the toilet but in the bin provided (Greece) I mentioned that if they put toilet paper down the toilet it will result in a back up of sewage which is extremely unpleasant. (I know I’ve experienced it!)

You are SO right! It’s like dealing with children - you need to explain WHY they have to do / not do stuff.

LOL! I do a similar thing only with my own cat. He’s very handy sometimes.

1 Like

I’ve had to do the reverse with guests from Greece and other countries with the same sewage system: please DO flush all toilet paper and use the bin only for non-flushable items.
If you’re not used to it, dealing with a bin of used toilet paper is a bit of a shock.

1 Like

These are all over Korea in the public loos. Also, don’t forget your own TP!
If traveling in Prague bring lots change, as much as a buck!!! to use the loo. Order only half pints of PIVO, because the loo cost adds to the bar tab. :rofl::rofl: then on your last real day, learn where all the free loos are. :rofl::rofl:
In Japan, use the loos in the stations because most izakayas and restaurants don’t have them!
In London, precious and few public loos exist. Even in the stations. Only a few stations have loos. Down load the London loo tube app to find them! They are also in the museums (free) and in Mickeys as a last resort!

I’ve just thought how I can expand my rules.

Don’t leave your hair in the shower drain - the cat will sense this and wait outside the bathroom to bite your ankles when you exit.

Please be aware that if you stain the towels, the cat will pee all over your luggage as you’re leaving.

6 Likes

Funny you would say that… I was just in California visiting my mom and her elderly cat peed in my luggage. :-1::dizzy_face::rage:

Vinegar really works to get it out of clothes and luggage interiors.

1 Like

Elderly cats pee over everything, so I’m told. I’ve never had one live long enough sadly :(. Humans are not so different. I have instructed my son to have me put down once I’m incontinent. Hopefully it will be legal when the time comes!

3 Likes

Yes, they get kidney failure. We did have to put this cat down while I was there. The vet said they act erratically with kidney failure because it is so painful. That’s why they seek out clothes and soft things to pee on. poor boy, it wasn’t his fault. :frowning:

I could deal with incontinence… (I had twins, so I’ve begun having previews!) I just don’t want to lose my marbles. That is more distressing on the family.

2 Likes