Guests from India and what’s the deal with toilets?

And you can sit here talking all day long.

We all know who the real bigot is. Cuz if you really studied all this stuff for so many years then you know then the definition of a bigot is: a person who is intolerant toward those holding different opinions.

And here…just to pass times. a funny Indian comedian discussing and joking about the cultural differences between Indians and Chinese negotiations. Oh wow…imagine embracing the differences and laughing about each other. What a concept that would be:

This is hilarious.

Funny. I think we all stereotype to certain extents. I seem to attract yoga teachers, for example. Three so far. I don’t advertise green cleaning products. ( I use bleach, ammonia, comet, etc. ) but I also have my secret stash of “green products” vinegar and lavender based, that I use for these and other guests who may fit the same profile! Why not? I also point out my whole house evaporative cooler, vs a/c, which is also considered a green alternative. So far so good. :smile:
EDIT: I also purchased some LA Totally Awesome concentrate @konacoconutz ! After several treatments with bleach and oxyclean (and several times through the dryer), this is the ONLY product that got tiny black spots out of my white pillow cases! (Waterproof mascara? ) who knows but thumbs up on this product! (Sorry, way off topic)

2 Likes

Actually I find it is necessary to mention the shower curtain to people from Western Europe, North America and other’developed’ nations, ALL guests in fact. Laziness and lack of care or knowledge with a property is categorically not restricted to people from developing countries. That reminds me I must do another coat of anti stain paint to my ceiling!

2 Likes

Yes, stereotyping based on cultural background is often needed in the hospitality industry.
Stereotyping is not always a bad thing, it is often helpful in giving certain guests some extra service.

Child seats for example: with guests from certain countries I walk out with them to their car to check on how the child seats are mounted. Rental companies do not explain them, and the guests are not used to using them and often mount them the wrong way. The guests are very happy with this, and thank me for it.

Same goes for restaurant suggestions, a relatively high amount of guests from another country I get are vegetarian. I do not know why, but my experience is that they are. So I always ask them about this, when giving suggestions.

With other guests if there is an issue in the room, I send my wife to check it out. As I know that a women going into their room is less of a hassle then when I go in.

You see stereotyping as negative.
My guests perceive it as considerate of their background/culture.

It is like asking American guests if they prefer a top sheet under their duvet… :wink:

2 Likes

OMG @JonYork, your post had me imagining how I would explain the toilet to a man who didnt understand exactly how its used. I could see myself, a woman, trying to pantomime a man taking a wee! LOL! Let’s hope I never find myself in that situation.

In that situation best that gentlemen be seated.

1 Like

I once helped a stranger in a doctor’s office fill out a form. We didn’t speak the same language so I had to act out most of the questions. I never thought about how personal some of those questions were until that moment. One of the nurses ended up letting us use a private room.

No, I see stereotyping as assigning the characteristics of a group (which do in fact exist and are the basis for comic routines and more) to individuals. When one does this it’s unfair at best.

Stereotypes can be positive (blacks are good dancers, the Swiss are fastidious, the Germans are efficient, Mexicans are family oriented) or negative (Scots are stingy, whites are ignorant, the Roma are thieves).

Stereotyping, prejudice, discrimination, ethnocentrism, bias, anti-Semitism, sexism, misogyny, intolerance, bigotry…there’s a large sociological vocabulary and most laypersons don’t understand the differences that scholars use. And yes, I have studied and taught these topics for over 40 years in a formal academic setting.

We all stereotype and we all have biases. I certainly have very strong ones. I’m intolerant of lots of people as I’ve made amply clear. I’ve had clients in my dog boarding business and guests in my Airbnb that have very different values from mine. We have either avoided discussing it or quietly agreed to disagree.

There are attitudes and there are actions. Regardless of one’s beliefs, one can make an effort to treat people equally at minimum or preferentially where appropriate. That’s what is required by Airbnb policy and that’s what I expect hosts to do. That’s what I think most hosts here do.

Words have meanings and language has consequences. When it comes to people using prejudicial language and verbally engaging in stereotypes on this forum I will err on the side of condemning it’s use. I understand that some value the right to use demeaning and prejudicial language. There will be no rapproachement on this from my side.

8 Likes

Thank you @KKC what a well reasoned, thoughtful post.

2 Likes

I wasn’t implying that at all @Jess1. I was merely making a point that to treat ALL guests the same, could become over kill depending on the type of rental and where the majority of your guests come from. I have never ever told Americans (since they are my fellow country men) anything about how the bathroom is not a wet room. Why? Because there is no need to explain this to them. They would look at me so strangely if I ever explained to them to close a shower curtain.

This would be no different than people from certain countries might need to explain specifically to Americans and others how to operate something they are not familiar with…where as other people from certain visiting countries are already familiar with the process, and it would look silly to explain the same thing.

Was only making a point that catering to certain stereotypes isn’t necessarily a negative, like what @Chris mentioned above.

Same here! I give exactly the same house tour to everyone, no matter where they are from. Sure, most of the guests who seriously flooded the bathroom at the beginning were from Asia but it’s happened with many other guests as well. I actually did it myself recently by not properly setting the shower curtain :flushed:
It’s always best to assume that guests are unfamiliar with everything, in my experience. Yes, some people laugh at me for pointing out some things but I make it a humourous exchange so it’s not uncomfortable.

2 Likes

We still have the hams hanging up (would you believe that one of the most desired prizes in the big Christmas Lottery is a jamon?) People are complaining now, though, that the hams don’t taste as good as they used to … The reason? a lot fewer people smoke so you don’t get that tarry, smokey flavour … ugh! I dislike jamon - my son and I refer to it as thinly-sliced shoe leather.

I’ve seen Russell Peters and yes, he is a very funny man! But the crucial thing here is that he is making jokes about his OWN culture and about those of another culture that historically has also been treated as inferior by the white western world. It’s a shared joke and he’s allowed. A privileged American white man couldn’t do it.

2 Likes

You and I will have to agree to disagree on this but appreciate you sharing your opinion. I have heard so much about “white privilege” and I can tell you there are plenty of minorities in my country who also disagree and they say to STOP it with this “white privilege” issue in 2018. And some of those vocal minorities dislike it when others from their culture go on about it. That’s opening up a whole can of worms though…

And here is another person of minority who also disagrees. While, there are people who disagree with the “white privilege” concept…just making a point that there are plenty of minorities who disagree.

The Rebel Media is a credible news source to you? I will have to disagree on that alone. I don’t think any intelligent person thinks the alt-right movement is exclusively white. Still doesn’t make their hate speech ok.

3 Likes

It doesn’t matter what “source” I just posted. That was the quickest google search just to make a point that there are minorities out there who do not agree. There are plenty of youtube videos from minorities who are not a “source” but speaking for themselves. They WANT affirmative action and other things to stop. They don’t agree with it any longer.

Equally there are plenty who disagree and are behind “white privilege” - the point I am making is that we all have different opinions. And we all should be tolerating each others’ different viewpoint. And the definition of bigotry is “intolerance of those who hold different viewpoints from yourself.”

In essence, if you go around the forum trying to bully others because they don’t agree with your viewpoints on statistics, stereotypes, etc…then in essence you are the bigot.

That’s why I say it’s best to scroll on by if you don’t agree. You won’t change anyone by yelling and screaming at them BECAUSE they don’t agree with YOU.

I don’t care to argue the politics, etc. I mean…this entire thread is evidence of varying viewpoints is all.

Yes, it does. It really really does. It’s a bit scary that you don’t realise that.

6 Likes

And this is something I think attributes to divisiveness of keeping cultures separate, instead of bringing them together.

There are plenty of well-traveled people who know how they should negotiate in Mexico, versus India, versus China, versus Morocco, versus the USA. If a white comedian were to joke about it, he can. Why? Because he understands the different cultures, has learned about them, and has his own experience. So to say he is not allowed to laugh at the differences, is dividing people, instead of embracing everyone.

Magwitch…I also know people in my real life who hold the same views. My Hispanic mother who immigrated to this country is a Trump supporter.