Guest's dog is barking too much?

I welcome dogs under 25 lbs because I have a small dog also. Live-in host.

A guest checked in last night with his small dog.

It’s a yappy, aggravating nightmare. He is barking at every single person that walks by with a dog, and every time he hears other dogs in my neighborhood bark. My dog doesn’t do that. I’m lucky I guess?

I know dogs bark, and it comes with the territory of allowing them, but I work from home full time complete with conference calls, and I can’t have YAP YAP YAP in the background.

He is here til Friday so a few days left.

Am I stuck putting up with it at this point? I don’t want to be rude and impact stars or ask him to leave on account of the dog but it’s super aggravating. He is not home to stop it because he is attending a conference.

I’ve hosted a few other dogs by now and none have been annoying like this. But this is enough to make me change my pet policy to no pets.

What’s the best way to do it?

I don’t want to get a 1 star review for telling him and making him feel bad about it. So awkward.

Perhaps he should put the pup in doggie day care during the day. Easier said than done on short notice though.

I did recommend that to him before he arrived - he asked for the names of nearby places but ultimately decided against it. I also made it clear that it’s the guest’s responsibility for potty breaks and all that jazz. I will do it but for an additional fee because it’s additional hassle!

That would cost lots more than he’s paying for his Airbnb stay I would imagine.

1 Like

Well, that’s the cost of bringing your kids with you…

1 Like

We’re animal lovers - three cats and a big-ish dog. But we simply will NOT allow someone else’s pet(s) on the property. They are NOISY! as you have discovered. Plus they will make your listing smell and be that much harder to clean when the guest has gone.

2 Likes

Ah this is the problem then. You need to make it a rule if allowing dogs that owners must take their dogs with them when they leave the house.

It’s not your responsibility to dog sit, particularly if you work from home.

I would just speak to him. Explain that his dog is barking all day making it difficult for you to work and that he needs to find dog care or take his dog with him. Make sure you follow this up by messaging through BNB so there is a record.

If he then refuses to do this, you can ask him to leave (unless of course you agreed to dog sit for an extra fee).

I think that this is the best advice:

If guests (or their dogs) are doing anything that is annoying then it’s the host’s responsibility to speak with the guest as soon as possible. Many dogs are going to be noisy if they are left in a strange place for hours at a time - understandably. They probably don’t do this at home when they are in their familiar surroundings so it’s unlikely that the guest is aware of the problem.

So really it’s incumbent on the host to let the guest know as he might be completely unaware of the problem. Maybe something simple like leaving the TV on or leaving the dog’s favourite toys/treats could be the answer? Only the guest will know.

I feel your pain! Oh gawd I’ve been to dog hell and back in my neighborhood. My one neighbor is just like yours. He couldn’t care less. I won’t tell you what I’ve done and said. I hope others finally step in and do something.

Tell me about it! I have a wonderful upstairs deck with nice rooftop views and swaying cypress trees. I step out there to relax and barbeque in the evening sometimes and it’s all ruined by the effing stupid dog on the other side of the fence. My neighbor and I keep wishing it would choke to death on something or get sick or get let out! Our wishes haven’t come true…yet! :)))))

1 Like

I can’t recall on which forum I read about another host’s solution to a similar problem. He recorded an hour or so of his neighbor’s dog barking constantly, then hooked the recording to amplified speakers placed between their yards. He pointed it toward the neighbor’s bedroom and cranked up the volume and played it about 2:00 or 3:00 am and apparently that’s all it took.

Don’t know if it’s true but it’s certainly an intriguing idea.

1 Like

Depending on the volume, a white noise generator may drown out the barking sufficiently so that it does not wake you up. As is generally known, it’s not the volume but the quality of the sound that wakes you up. Our brains are conditioned by evolution to interpret barking dogs as a sign of danger and wake us up.

I had a problem with barking dogs waking me up some time ago. This was like 6-6.30 am, and it was exceedingly unpleasant. I used an air purifier. It worked. But the barking wasn’t super loud. But if it’s very loud and/or frequent, you could probably get the police involved.

Incidentally, when someone initially suggested a white noise generator, I was sceptical. But then I discovered that it works.

As a dog owner (I have three 100lb dogs and two loud cats) and AirBB host, I’d recommend the following:
-Bark collar on site. If owner will be gone, dog will wear collar. These collars are a) not painful (test on yourself) b) great training and c) uneccessary if the owner is responsible.

I’ll cite our local laws which are 10 minutes of sustained barking or 30 minutes intermittent. I don’t allow dogs in my listing as I have enough managing my own but I suggest you find a way to make this more pleasant for yourself. I can say “bark collar” or wave them in the air and my dogs instantly shush up. Maybe you could charge extra for the training;)

1 Like

Its 12:27 midnight and our guests’ dog has been howling for over 30 minutes. Very loud wolf-like howls. What do I do