Guests damaged carpet in front of the entrance door in communal area

Absolutely yes. And after a host reads it they should not want to host this group.

Did they deny damaging the carpet all along?

No, they never replied to the couple of messages sent via Airbnb until they checked out. Airbnb advised to wait for their reply, which never came. They told Airbnb that this was not them. We both work full time, so they just left at their convenience the following day.

Now I wonder if when the fire brigade came they took their names for their records, as a bill may arrive and hopefully it is on their names!

1 Like

Not sure why you waited for their reply when none was likely.

How did you know all the things mentioned in your original post? Seemed like it was known it was them.

2 Likes

I get that you work full time, as do I and study full time but there in NO WAY that if somebody damaged my premises and did not respond to my messages regarding such within the hour that I would not have turned up in person to discuss the matter and get acceptance of the damage bill in person. Clearly there are others with evidence that fire/smoke was in their premises and you should have got this and advised such in person. You can call Airbnb on the spot if there is a disputed and make the guests talk to them. I have done. They have always sided with me as I have taken immediate action and obtained my evidence. You simply cannot leave these things until guests check out. Now you must get your evidence and lodge a claim through Airbnb immediately before next guests check in and have a go at them for telling you to await a reply via their system. You will need a quote to repair the carpet and the fire bill to make your claim so please take action now.

2 Likes

I wanted to intervene but my partner was afraid that the group can cause more damage to his apartment if we escalated it further - there are a lot of valuable and personal items in his flat, this is not a full time rental property - the plan was to rent it for a couple of weeks/month. We didn’t know these people, they have our phone, address, names, keys etc and could’ve done much more damage if they wanted. So there was no face to face confrontation, clearly a mistake, a clear indication this is not for us - the amount of stress for very little gain.

I would imagine that most Hosts would have removed them for the very reasons you mention.

1 Like

Well, this has been eye opening. We thought there is nothing we can do - I mean they paid, so we assumed they are entitled to stay, or that we shouldn’t disturb them as they were renting the entire property. Judging from what I have read, we could have even demanded they leave…I guess you learn the hard way fastest;-)

1 Like

You do, I do have a long term rental and that is slightly worrying but I have background checks, know who I am renting to and have a chunky security deposit.

With AirBnb I am on site, but would not use them if I was not.

1 Like

So, how would you word our Guest review - I am not really sure what is the best way to put our experience into a feedback form?

Thumbs down and one star across the board and then keep the verbage short and not something they can challenge.

3 Likes