Guests complaint on temperature

Actually there are extra blankets and thermostat.
They just didn’t use them

1 Like

Should I mentioned registered 5 adults but came with 5 adults 1 baby (which my listing is not allow)?

Personally I would. Hosts need to know if a baby is coming. Their listing might not be safe, there might be a swimming pool, dangerous stairs or a dog. Airbnb do like you to have a good reason for refusing a baby though I think.
I would mention the room was 23 degrees and they complained of cold.

1 Like

Definitely mention it. Why did you allow it in the first place? People who are willing to break your rules from the outset are usually not good guests. And yes, they proved to be high maintenance.

1 Like

I greeted the in law and aunt (3 adults) who hold the baby while the registered guest and husband went to see the apartment.
Husband came back and said " here is the problem, we had 5 adults…

I was not even mention the extra person charges since it was a baby and being hospitable and all.

I will owned my mistake. Still not convince to turn off airplane mode when I’m sleeping though. And that is where I am afraid to get hit.

I know I’m contradicting myself. My sleeping time is very precious :slight_smile:

How do you put it in “nicer” sentence?

I apologize, I missed your post that said you had extra blankets and they didn’t use them.

See if this sounds reasonable - I’m sure other hosts will chime in on edits, too:

"Guest name was (mention something good, like that the place was left in good shape), but I was surprised they arrived with a baby, which wasn’t disclosed at the time of booking and not allowed by my house rules.

I’d add a final sentence that indicates whether you recommend them to other hosts - “While my listing isn’t suitable for future visits, they would do well in a family-friendly location” if you think they’re okay. “This family would be better suited to a hotel with 24 hour desk support” if not.

I still don’t know that I’d mention the heat/texting in the middle of the night. It gets fussy to explain and could just as easily reflect badly on you. Perhaps another host has a good suggestion for wording that.

So this issue wasn’t a true emergency, but do you leave a way for guests to get a hold of you at night? I like my sleep too, but tell guests to knock on my door if they need something urgently.

1 Like

Perfect…love it!
I always admire people who can write :slight_smile:

I don’t think these guests can be recommended at all because they were DISHONEST! Give them the secret thumbs down at least.

I will…I really think it was the husband.
I have been too nice and I hate that when it bites back. So I’m talking the problem here before I post anything.

“This family would be better suited to a hotel with 24 hour desk support”

Love this…I wish I know how to respond like this

1 Like

Here is her review :

Host was super nice in welcoming us and she was super nice in allowing extra guest at the last min and house is just as described … Only downside is guest don’t have access to the thermostat so if host forget to turn on the AC ( heating) then it will be a nightmare for the guest and that’s exact what happened to us and we try to reach the host so through phone and Airbnb message but can’t reach her in time as she saw our message in the morning… we stayed 1 night and inside temp was freezing and to make it worst house flooring was tiles so it was literally walking on ice. frankly speaking we almost thought of vacating the house in the middle of the night… I’m not sure if I will do it again… but house is very close to Falls and other food places…thanks”

You said there is a thermostat, no? Certainly reply to this, in order to correct this factual error. As for the rest, “freezing” at 23 degrees is really exaggerated!

1 Like

There is a thermostat in front of the bathroom. But the control is on our level.

I remember perfectly that the guest registered saying at the parking lot she hates heather ( from Louisiana) but the in laws were from south india

If you choose to respond please be calm and non emotional. Don’t address a reply to the guest. Say something like “Future guests should be aware that it can be as cold as 23c/73F in the guest quarters in June. I regret that I didn’t hear the guest’s message at 1:30 am while I was sleeping.” You may or may not mention having blankets and the oil heater available.

Don’t get defensive. Sensible guests will see how exaggerated this guest’s complaint is and ignore it.

2 Likes

Here is my respond…is it ok???

I am so sorry that you weren’t able to reach me at 1:35 AM, as I was sleeping. I remember you said no to heather at the parking lot
Extra blankets were provided but weren’t use.
The thermostat on main floor is 24C and below is always 1 degree cooler which make it to 23C.

Heater (not heather which is a Scottish plant). In your reply just say the temperature was 23 degrees on the thermostat overnight. Don’t say that is hot or cold, just be factual. Other guests will see how crazy they are to say that is freezing.

1 Like

Even though I live upstairs I ask guests to text first before knocking on the locked door at the top of the stairs “because I wear headphones watching tv at night”. If you can get them to text as well as ring you can check to see what the problem is and either text back “there are spare blankets in the cupboard” or ignore it if it isn’t, for example, smoke or a fire. Some time I have slept through it and then “apologised” for not answering during the night. As has been mentioned the sort of people who text at 1am tend to be on the needy side anyway.

2 Likes

I would tell guests emergencies only after 11pm. Encourage them to ask for things earlier in the day.

1 Like