Guests complaint on temperature

Check your reading comprehension.

I never said you were whining or uncomfortable. I said you’re dismissive of others temperature preferences because “experts say” everyone should be happy at 21 degrees C.

I have been amazed by LED lightbulbs and how fast, cool and energy saving they are. So attractive as well, I have some beautiful filament bulbs in squirrel, globe and even a test tube shape!

1 Like

i bought mine from Costco, and ended up paying more for them. However it’s been over a year now and none of them have needed replacing. It turned out to be good value in the long run.

1 Like

That’s because your expression is inappropriate. The thoughts or words ‘quit your whining’ wouldn’t enter my head re guests because I have a more professional attitude so my language is more formal.
I rest my case, if it’s good enough for The Hilton it’s good enough for Airbnb. This forum shows the extent of the need for domestic energy education and regulation in the US.

Sorry, but I don’t think that’s the case with every host. I think that our rentals are definitely superior to staying in Hilton Hotels. I’m not in any way saying that my attitude is the right one - just that every host (and every guest) is different.

Saying that what’s good for the Hilton is ‘good enough’ for Airbnb is really a bit of an insult to Airbnb, to hosts and even to guests. It’s implying that Airbnb is a ‘poor man’s’ accommodation option which is definitely not the case.

I have just googled Hilton hotels in my area. Of the three that I found, only one is slightly more expensive than our rentals and the other two are cheaper.

I have to keep going to Google when I’m reading this topic to convert temperatures and I was surprised to see that the quoted 21 degrees C is under 70 F!

At the moment, the temperature here is 86 degrees F. and I am not using AC. My point in mentioning that is that I hope that people from different climates can realise how cold someone accustomed to these temperatures see under 70 degrees as being pretty cold. We’re all different.

Thank you all for taking the time to write, I think that everyone entitle to their own opinion based on their own experience in life.

From previous guests, I always asked them about temperature and many of them were fine after that.
It is what I have to learn to move forward from this mistake.

Putting oil heather and small fan in the closet it is.
Thank you for the input.

Now…I was hoping the guest won’t leave review. But she did.
How should I respond to this?

What is an oil heater and what did she say?

Oil heather is just the same of any other portable heather.

I have not seen her review since I have not responds/write her review. Waiting for responds here :slight_smile:

I agree. I mean, if it’s some superfancy Airbnb villa, I could understand the demands, but for your regular rooms and apartments that comprise the majority of the listings… No. Just no.

I agree, but what ever happened to wearing an extra layer of sleeves or getting under the blanket? Or opening a window? I made such a comment on a different thread and got immediately attacked about how I can expect from my guests to adjust their dress according to the season? I don’t get it. Some demands are just unreasonable, and it shouldn’t be expected from hosts to cater to them.

I had a guest from UK coming in mid-May and asking for the heating to be turned on. Because it get’s a bit chilly during the night. Chilly being 19-20 degrees outside. I think the problem was that she brought only hot pants and small tops, no cardigan or anything whatsoever. We leave plenty of blankets in the apartment, so this was not an issue. She wanted heating. Considering that she’s not exactly coming from a tropical paradise, I was a bit surprised by this demand.

I’m currently in a place where it is 21 degrees outside and I’m sitting on the bed, wearing shorts and a top. And indeed, I feel chilly, but that’s just because I’m too lazy to get up and change.:grinning: I would never expect anyone to heat for me.

2 Likes

You mean an electric radiator filled with oil?

yes. I’m not good with words, hence I am asking how to respond in proffesional way.

Oh, not only people from the tropics, just wait until you get some Russians.

They are used to uncontrolled block heating powered by the waste heat from powerplants.
Their only way of controlling the heat is opening the window.
So when they do the same: They turn the heaters on max in our rooms, and when it gets to hot they do not turn down the heater but just open the window.

I had a Russian woman this winter complaining the room was too cold for their kids to sleep.
Both thermometers in the rooms were showing 23C. She was walking around in shorts and a tanktop.
I told her I could give her an extra blanket, but I could not turn up the heater.

4 Likes

When you visit us in the winter the temperature outside will be at best single figures degrees C. Therefore everyone will be wearing 2 or 3 layers, long sleeves, long trousers or tights and a coat. When you come in to a house/hotel of 21 degrees and take your coat off you will almost certainly feel toasty!
I imagine in your temperature today the Aircon is off in the day and maybe on in the bedroom a little at night? Or do you manage to sleep without Aircon? I went to North Africa in the Summer there was no Aircon and I slept in a slightly damp sheet or towel which works quite well. Someone told me that is called the Egyptian method!

I think you speak more than one language so that is good!
My advice is to stick to describing the facts in the review and don’t get personal.

I think many hosts follow the same concept/principles you do. My rental is a whole home rental. Guests can adjust the thermostat to anything they wish. Rarely does anyone abuse it.

I would just die, just die or be the biggest whiny baby it was 86F & no air conditioning —of course here at 86F, the humidity is oppressive so don’t bother trying to style hair (your styling products will melt). I “run hot” so in the winter I keep my home around 66F (18C) & in the summer 74F(23C)

Global warming is a larger problem than giving one guest a comfortable stay. A lot of people including me, don’t like being told what to do and how to feel and why I should think like someone else. My rebellious side wants to turn the Air-conditioning to the lowest temperature while my front door is wide open, while I smoke several tobacco cigarettes, drink bottled water, have my car idling in the driveway for no reason & throw a plastic recyclable in the traditional trash while belting out, “and I did it MYYYYYYYYY WAAAAYYYYY” The hoot is that I wouldn’t any of that except drink a bottle of water.

1 Like

I would just leave the review without mentioning the temperature issue or late night texts. Were they good guests overall? Did they leave the place in good shape? Was communication good?

Once you submit your review of them, you’ll see the review they left you. Depending on what they said you can decide whether you want to respond. Your response will show up under their review on your listing page; some hosts don’t like to respond because it can call attention to a negative review. Others like to respond to correct misinformation, or describe how they fixed an issue.

1 Like

Why not mention the late night texts? It’s high maintenance and loads of hosts would not like it.

1 Like

It’s not just about giving one guest a comfortable stay. It’s about a culture where hundreds of millions of people feel no shame for their wasteful behaviours because there’s a block on education and a silencing of people who dare to speak out. It’s a land where fuel is so cheap people don’t even think about efficient cars or judicious use of Aircon or whatever. It’s not about telling others what to think it’s about the need for taxation to reflect the environmental consequences of behaviours, nudge people in the right direction and provide some funds to repair the damage caused. For example there’s a new Lidl supermarket being built in my city and it has to pay for environmental improvements to offset the damage it is causing. Simple!

It sounds like the coldness of the room kept them from sleeping, so I wouldn’t consider that high maintenance (like asking for a hand towel, or extra ice cubes would be).

Look at it from the guests’ POV: They’re in a cold lower level room (with a baby) with no thermostat, no heater, and apparently no extra blankets. They can’t resolve their own issue. To me, this is a learning experience for the host. At least that’s how I’ve handled stuff like this in my own hosting…“Ah! Now I know I should leave more blankets, add a heater, etc”

I’d leave my review based on how the rest of the stay went and hope they don’t make a big issue of it in their review of me.

1 Like

Sorry but the host did say she had extra blankets and the guests weren’t using them. The room was not cold. It was 23 degrees over night. It’s been 23 degrees here this afternoon, very sunny, no wind, beautiful. Even my southern European guest is in short sleeves! Overnight indoors that is not cold.

1 Like