Guests complain because I don't serve breakfast - Not a true Airbnb they say

Electric ones don’t whistle.

1 Like

Absolutely! I find this kettle discussion fascinating. A whistling stove kettle takes me back to childhood in my great-grandmother’s house. Nostalgic perhaps but I don’t miss it, just like I don’t miss the outdoor toilet. Sorry, dear American cousins, but honestly it seems so terribly archaic!

2 Likes

“Hot tap” not the same as a kettle.

Making a cup of tea from the hot tap on a bottle dispenser? Heresy shudders

4 Likes

I know that but my guests don’t seem to.

If I lived in a country where it was cold 10 months a year I’d use a kettle 10 times a day too. Those of you above 45 degrees longitude should realize the temps here are much higher year round.

Yes, cold is relative, I know.

It’s nothing to do with the climate! A good cup of tea needs boiling water no matter what the weather. Unless it’s so hot you can put a cup of water outside and it will be boil. But then we wouldn’t be alive to make the tea, let alone drink it. It’s ok K9, you don’t get it :slight_smile:

Thank god! I just find it hard to believe people want hot tea when its over 80 degrees F. But really, I bought the kettle for the guests and no one has used it yet.

1 Like

Most American coffee makers don’t heat the water to the right temperature either. We live in a land that is willing to forgo brewing at the right temperature for convenience. [Maybe this should be a chant?]

1 Like

Hot tea is a staple, no matter where no matter when. And no, I am definitely NOT singing god save the queen. A propos of which, please watch this:

2 Likes

Excellent :slight_smile: Seeing the BBC do that kind of restored a sense of balance. But yes, apparently they are a rabid bunch of liberals intent on destroying world order. But we digress. Tea is not just about the kettle but about the water, too. Hard water makes crap tea, fact, boiling or not.

1 Like

Good to know. …

1 Like

I don’t provide breakfast either, cuz you know I’m going to have to jack up prices and most guests wouldn’t want that :wink:

As for boiling water, we provide an electric kettle like most folks. It’s been the standard here, and most guests visiting my area prefer functionality over tradition kitchen items. Maybe it’s different in other areas.

Why do I get the feeling you don’t really care…? LOL!

1 Like

To prove that I do care…I checked the temp of the water that comes out of my hot tap on the water dispenser. It’s 175 degrees. Then I looked up proper temps for tea brewing. It turns out that for Japanese green tea which is what I usually drink the ideal temp is 170-185. For British black teas it’s 205 which is boiled then cooled for just a sec. So I’ll keep my kettle for those rare Earl Grey or English breakfast days. We do have hard water here though.

True. I have two (large) pots of tea a day - in South Florida :slight_smile:

1 Like

At my Jill’s Southern Retreat near Charleston South Carolina (18 miles) I list and include photos … serve “breakfast treats” homebaked scones fruit tarts quiche and on occasion if I’m home I prepare a one time breakfast of scrambled eggs toast bacon sausage coffee tea juice

everyday coffee tea water and juice available with tray of breakfast treats and condiments on last night of a small bottle of wine with two glasses on a tray sometimes accompanied with cheese and crackers

3 Likes

A Kuerig single coffee maker. It also has tea K cups. So you can purchase 100’s of different coffees or teas as single serve. Then we offer light cream in the mini fridge. So this is also a safe (no electric hit plate ) appliance.

Yet another sign of Airbnb’s inexperienced user interface programmers, the first amenities listed include really important things like hairdriees; breakfast is several “pages” down. Wi-Fi and breakfast should be in the first group they see, and some others. I’’ quite sure they do no end-user testing.

Couldn’t agree less. That’s a stupid idea. Airbnb means Bed&Breakfast so breakfast should always be included, free of charge. Please excuse me if I am repeating myself.

I don’t provide breakfast, never will. I have over 150 5* reviews and no one has ever asked about breakfast. And the idea that it’s “free” is also silly. It’s included in the price but unless people pay nothing to stay at your place, it isn’t free.