Guests brought pets without permission, help!

Go to your house rules and state that you cannot host animals because the entire property outside is open to your dog, who cannot tolerate other animals and may put them in danger, including if he senses another animal anywhere on the property.

That should stop dog bookings cold.

5 Likes

Do those with service animals not need to provide some kind of certification?

From the link supplied above:

In the United States, guests are not required to provide documentation for a service animal and there is no legally recognized certification process for service animals.

I like this>>ā€œGo to your house rules and state that you cannot host animals because the entire property outside is open to your dog, who cannot tolerate other animals and may put them in danger, including if he senses another animal anywhere on the property.ā€

That should stop dog bookings cold.

(except we do have a fence)
We have a new inquiry by someone with a large service dog. He is politely begging to come. Can I charge an extra cleaning fee???
I am trying to get them to realize all the reasons not to come. We saw a baby rattler the other night. The dogs alerted us and both stayed away. Iā€™m afraid our dogs would both try to scale the rocks to get to a guests dog, or at least be a bad nuisance if there were a guest dog.

From the article linked above:

Is it okay to charge an additional fee, or increase the cleaning fee, to accommodate the assistance animal?
No, under Airbnbā€™s Nondiscrimination Policy, hosts cannot charge extra fees to guests with an assistance animal.

1 Like

I didnā€™t expect to or try to charge extra, think you for confirming that Jaquo:)

But I dread the thought of removing long white dog hair. Itā€™s funny, on GH they give you a full name for inquiries, so, wow!> the dude has an unusual name! I saw pics on insta with dog in question on the furniture. Maybe it was just that dogs couch<><>

1 Like

Use a lint roller - then itā€™s easy peasy. :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is bs. Hosts try very hard indeed to hold up standards. Why do guests assume that they can bring their mutt with them? Just plain rude.

3 Likes

Remove the gate from the fence and call it a privacy fence and specifically state that you have no gate. As long as you are not concerned about anything getting stolen, it discourages pet requests.

1 Like

Block those dates, asap.

2 Likes

I did block one of them, only for time, cleaning jobs etc.
If I removed my gate, my dogs would notice and freak.

They prefer to be out there with us only, to protect them from guests and neighbors!
As far as stealing, we donā€™t worry much about that having Dobermans!
A pic for you! Loki the 2 headed pup going to Malibu beach!

I donā€™t know where you are located but if you are in the US an ā€œemotional support animalā€ is NOT the same as a ā€œservice animalā€ and thus not afforded the same protections! See the attached link (and the pertinent info should be highlighted for you). Also, check your state to make sure they donā€™t redefine the term of service animal or extend protections to emotional support animals.

https://www.ada.gov/service_animals_2010.htm#:~:text=Service%20animals%20are%20defined%20as,tasks%20for%20people%20with%20disabilities.&text=Dogs%20whose%20sole%20function%20is,service%20animals%20under%20the%20ADA.

The Airbnb TOS do, in fact, require that we treat emotional support animals exactly the same as service animals. As Airbnb hosts, we are obliged to followed those rulesā€”or face the consequences as hosts.

This. ā€œOur dogs are territorial and protective. Rattlesnakes and other predators come onto the property. We do not advise guests bring any animals. If you choose to bring an animal against our advice, by booking you are agreeing that we have no responsibility or liability for injury or death of your animal.ā€
Bold or all caps the last sentence.
You could add: ā€œReminder: Per Airbnb Terms of Service, service or support animals cannot be left alone anywhere on the property, outside or inside, loose or crated. They must accompany you at all times.ā€

3 Likes

Thank you for pointing that out. I havenā€™t been on here long and am not YET a host. We are actually going to be looking at properties in about 9 days. I will probably do an intro thread as I have a bunch of questions.

But back to dogs and the TOS at AirBnB. I looked at the ToS and I saw that a host can have a guest remove the animal if it shows aggression, canā€™t be controlled or is not house broken.

And I love animals, btw, and I have friends who have service animals. True service animals. and none of them have ever shown aggression. I think it is sad that some people abuse the rules about not being able to ask for a certification for the animal and that makes people (hosts in this case) doubtful.

1 Like