Guests brought 3 Siberian Huskies who pooped on carpet and floors

I am dog friendly (maximum 1 dog) but, guests are supposed to get approved. She had 3 pets on her reservation. She booked about a week out. Prior to check in I requested more info about her pets. No response. She and her BF get there and within an hour she requests to change her reservation from 3 nights to 1. After seeing her 3 dogs I said NO Problem.

The next day my housekeeper and I saw poop everywhere and the smell was awful.
apparently, the dogs stepped in their poop and wandered around. They actually only stayed 2 hours thankfully. Bathroom rugs are gone (I assume they pooped on those too and they took them with them). Dogs scratched up an antique table too.
Anyway, I informed air filled out request for money sent pix ect. Waiting in reply.
From your dealings what should I expect?

On the antique table, Airbnb will likely ask for evidence that it is antique, and of its value. Most of us don’t have that documentation. Even if you can show that it was worth say $ X,000 ten years ago, they will likely depreciate it so that its actual cash value today is low. You’ll need some written estimate of the repair cost, which Airbnb will compare to the actual cash value of the table. It’s best that if the repair shop is Googled Airbnb can find it as a place that repairs furniture.

You might feel that this is unfair but go to any consignment shop or estate sale and typically you find old furniture for a small fraction of its original cost. Expect to get little for that. I suggest that you get a glass cover for it going forward.

I am supposing the value of the bathroom rugs is a low amount. $20? Have receipts? How old? This is what you’ll be asked.

You might want to reconsider your dog policy. Allowing three dogs is potentially a lot of wear and tear, especially if you have wood floors or wood anything anywhere. It can be hard to document damage from a pet. They chewed up the baseboard? Can you prove that? What is the cost to repair that? Gnawed a little on a furniture leg? What really is the reasonable cost to repair? If you permit pets expect more bookings, but also more damage not compensated by Airbnb.

Maybe Airbnb will surprise you positively. Good luck!

1 Like

She doesn’t allow 3 dogs…only 1 (and must be preapproved). Guest brought 3 and obviously did not get preapproval for any of them.

1 Like

Then why did you approve her if your maximum is just one?

Yes, but “She had 3 pets on her reservation,” which were approved.

It doesn’t sound like the host “approved” the 3 dogs. It sounds like the guest IBed, then the host saw that the guest had entered 3 dogs on the booking and asked for more info, which the guest ignored.

So the host didn’t “approve” 3 dogs, but neither did she tell the guest she couldn"t accept that, which she should have done.

1 Like

Which is why you get three “free” IB cancellations - for people that do things just like this.

4 Likes

Well now that AirBnb has a spot to put dogs it is now something we have to check every time. I only allow one, yet they can put as many as they want. I am on IB so now I need to go and check post booking.

Yay

RR

Thanks for your suggestions and constructive comments.
Airbnb actually came through for me. They call it AirCover!
They reimbursed me for cleaning fees, repair of table and replacement of rugs. I had to submit invoice of cleaning fees, estimate of repair and cost of replacement rugs from Amazon.
I would not have known to claim all of this except for a lady on this forum who had a similar problem and they came through for her.
Bear in mind though, that I have been hosting since 2017 and have maintained a Super Host status since then and I have A LOT of bookings. And out of the hundreds of bookings that I have had, I have only requested compensation 3 separate times, of which they paid.

4 Likes