Guests Behaving Badly? Or am I over reacting?

I am so sorry. I am glad your father-in-law had a wonderful life and that you are in peace about him being in peace :hearts:

It is always difficult for the loved ones, sorry to hear about your FIL.
I think you did the right thing contacting the host.

:frowning: @Chloe so sorry to hear of your loss X

Hopefully the neighbour sorts this out! What does your mother in law think of it all??

I’m so sorry for your loss.

Yes people need to show respect for the neighbours. They should spell it out - No loud noise between 10pm and 07am.
This way one’s neighbours will not mind you being on airbnb.

Hello all,

Thank you all for your kind messages during this difficult time.

As mentioned earlier, I did contact the host in question. I told her only that I’d had reason to be there in the wee hours of the morning, and that I thought she’d want to know her guests were playing music at an inappropriate level for the neighborhood and the hour. I explained I was only telling her, host to host, in the event she wanted to mention it in her review of the guests.

She wrote back kindly enough, but didn’t really seem to get the point of my message, and seemed to feel like I was attacking her. She said she’d ask the guests to quiet down and claimed she was very surprised to hear they were noisy, since they have small children. I read that to mean she thought I was overreacting about the noise.

The guests were there for 2 more days, and according to my sister in-law, who is staying with her mom, they continued to play loud music at 1:30 in the morning, as well as smoke up a storm, at least outside the house. Smoking is against the host’s rules. I wrote the host s second message telling her that, again, this was only for the purpose of her reviewing the guests, and told her about the noise and the smoking. I’ve not heard back from her so there’s not much else I can do.

I’m sure, under different circumstances, my MIL would not be happy about these guests. She and her husband owned a hotel on the beach for 20 years before they retired, so she is well versed in guests behaving badly.

In the end, I can only hope that the host in question here will review her guests appropriately.

Obviously your MIL has other things to worry about now but in the future if there are more guests like that your MIL can call the police or contact the host and make whatever complaints are appropriate. It’s easy to get video evidence now. I understand the other host being a bit suspicious of you since you are a “competitor.”

1 Like