Guests arrive with baby

How would you handle this one, a couple have just turned up for the weekend for a wedding they’re going to. It was booked a month ago. And they have a baby with them, a breast feeding one. At no point did she ever mentioned or ask. I’m a bit gobsmacked as I find that deceitful. How would you handle this? Have mentioned it to the husband who had no idea as his wife made the booking and all communication has been with her. Haven’t seen her yet! I should add my house rules clearly state not suitable for children or infants.

Well definitely yes! Do that right now! As for the baby, you will need to say something, huh? That is not just a minor detail this woman over-looked.

1 Like

Yes it is but my very first Airbnb guests did this too. It was an eight day stay and my main concern was that the baby would be loud and disturb the neighbours. It was fine. They left a great review. In my review of them, I mentioned that they were good guest but the baby was unexpected.

So everything was OK. :slight_smile:

However, I immediately changed the listing to say that the place is unsuitable for children.

1 Like

If you are going to let them stay (I assume you already did) you should amend the reservation from 2 people to 3, if you charge an additional fee for more than 2.

1 Like

I’m sure it’ll be fine too but it’s not the point. The T&C’s they have to agree to before they book says not suitable for children or infants. Nice way you wrote your review saying baby was unexpected, I’ll use that thanks! They’re hosts themselves - and the sort who wanted 4 hour earlier check-in as well as late check-out!

1 Like

Yes, wouldn’t think of booting them out. You can’t charge for children under 2.

why not?

20 20 20 20

1 Like

This is just rude, in my mind. I don’t mind babies (they’re not capable of doing nearly as much damage as a toddler), in fact I quite like them. But I’d be pissed off if someone didn’t think it worth mentioning. It’s not about the money, afaic, it’s about respect and communication. If it were me, I would let it go this time but say to her directly that it’s not ok to simply turn up with a baby unannounced. It’s disrespectful.

3 Likes

I agree it’s inconsiderate. I did thick of saying, as she’d forgotten to mention she had a baby I hoped she wouldn’t forget it on the bus or somewhere…

1 Like

LOL! Madam, pardon me but do you realise your left breast is exposed? Reply: Oh God, I left the bloody baby on the bus!

7 Likes

Why not what - boot them out? Because I’m not that sort of person on an issue like this or why can’t you charge for children under 2? I don’t know but they don’t exactly take up much room.

Yeah, especially since babies barf a lot.

If it causing a major problem I would ask them to leave and ring Airbnb and explain; otherwise I would explain in your review what happened and don’t recommend them as guests to other hosts. .

I think @Glad meant to say that the house rules say that already. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

No. Why can’t you charge for a baby?

2 Likes

When I first read the post title I was expecting the last word to be something truly horrific, like a 300 pound orangutan. Instead it was an infant who to the horror of the host was being fed by a truly “barbaric” method.
I continue to find reasons to scream WTF when I read this sort of nonsense.
if you find breast feeding appalling you really need to get out of hosting. Charging for infants is money grubbing to the max.

2 Likes

We generally don’t charge for children who sleep with their parents. That said, why do you believe that charging for infants is money grubbing? I’m not trying to start a debate. I genuinely would like to understand why some people believe that hosts shouldn’t charge for children.

I agree with you completely about breastfeeding that anyone who has a problem with it is themselves the problem. Children should for health reasons proven by scientific research be breastfed. Anyone who tries to stop a woman from breastfeeding is an idiot. However, I believe that the original poster said that the baby was breastfeeding to give us an idea of its age, not as a criticism.

8 Likes

Because infants as a rule don’t cost any more to host. If you disagree find me some facts that a show how adding an infant increases costs to hosts. THey generally come with their own bedding, towels and cot. If you want to be silly you could say a few gallons of water.

1 Like

As I said. I don’t want to argue I just want to understand why people think infants should be free of charge. I have never had people bring their own bedding, towels and cot for their children. I have had to bring out a separate bed for the children.

I also don’t understand why extra cost to the host is the deciding factor in charging extra for extra guests. It costs the same for a theatre to run a movie whether the house is full or only one seat is filled. They still charge for each person.

3 Likes

As a host who has to ensure quiet for my neighbors and who lives in a building that has no children whatsoever and half are retired, I would be horrified if somebody showed up with a baby and I love babies. I believe this was Glad’s concern. I didn’t infer there was a problem with breastfeeding. I think that regardless of what you put in your description and your house rules, you need to send them a note stating the deal-breaker ones, and getting an assurance that they understand an will follow the rules. For me, it’s the noise issue. I’m pretty sure nobody will show up with a baby as I only take one person. I did have a woman show up and ask if her daughter could come and sleep with her., What could I say? So, I got extra food for breakfast, set the table for her and her daughter, and she comes out alone and said her daughter didn’t stay after all.

3 Likes