Guests abuse washer / dryer

What are dryer sheets?

Dryer sheets are FABRIC Softener on a kind of soft paper that goes into the dryer.
Lots of ā€œpleasantā€ smells and tons of toxic chemicals

4 Likes

Which is probably why I donā€™t know what they are. I usually just line dry anyway.

2 Likes

No line drying here at the moment; too cold, too wet, too wintry. But I did so in the summer while really busy, until I found that white towels sheets etc were most attractive to swarms of small flies from the field next doorā€¦

1 Like

Sure, but then guest should be smart enough to pick accommodation that offers such an amenity. My place is primarily targeted for people travelling to their one or two week vacation, mostly during the summer and already prepared and packed for their trip, coming directly from their home to my place. Therefore I do not have a washer in my apartments, and in general I do not have many amenities such as dishwasher, as the guests that Iā€™m aiming at are there to spend most of their vacation outside of the apartment. They simply need a clean, comfortable place to sleep and cook. That is why I invested most in the outside patio which is the highlight of my place. If some guests need more amenities and are planning to spend more time in the apartment and want to have all the comfort of a proper apartment, then they should be smart enought to book such a place. There are plenty of them around me. The problem is when a guest wants to stay for a smaller place, in a shared flat or basic holiday apartment and yet want all the amenities that a fully equipped apartment offers.

3 Likes

I have no idea what you are referring to here.

1 Like

I donā€™t think Iā€™ve seen them in the UK. Normal liquid softerner is what I use!

@Kirsty_Jane you havenā€™t lived - we have them here too :slight_smile:

Ah I havenā€™t seen them. I use a clothes airier anyway. Dryers tend to destroy the integrity of your clothes over time.

3 Likes

This reminded me of when we lived in West Africa. My dad was a diplomat at the US Embassy, so we had a large house with a staff. The laundry girl had to literally IRON every bit of laundry, especially sheets. This was to kill the eggs of burrowing flies that that would get on the sheets, and if the eggs were not killed hatch on your skin and burrow under your skin and multiply, creating little nests of larvae. Yes, it was the glamorous life! (But I LOVED it, I loved living there,)

4 Likes

Imagine doing that to guests!!! Fortunately they all shook off very easily.

Ha! Just to do laundry?!? Now Iā€™ve heard everything! :joy:

If you have a zillion loads it was cheaper to book Yanaā€™s place overnight to stay there and do as much laundry as possible!

That was the old Yana, the new one is quite different!

3 Likes

They are paperlike sheets that have fabric softener, you throw them in the dryer and it helps clothes smell fresh out of the dryer.

Oh Lord, I totally understand your frustration. Lately Iā€™ve been having 1 or 2 night stays doing 2-3 machines. Some even use the washers at night. Itā€™s frustrating, but unfortunately with the review system that Airbnb has in place, each time you say a ā€œnoā€ to anything, your guests will definitely use it to give you lower reviews.
This mostly happens when your listing is priced low and you get backpackers, students, and cheapies. They know very well that in hostel or hotels, they would spend much more for ANY EXTRAS!
Personally I even provide them with laundry soap, but despite all this, they still feel itā€™s ok to run machines at 2am even though thereā€™s a quiet hours rule in place.

Yeah ā€¦ why donā€™t we just let our guests to tell us what to do and not to do in our own houses.
In a beginning I had an experience when I thought I shouldnā€™t be saying anything to guests even if they are behaving badly.
My life turned into hell very soon. They stayed for 2.5 weeks but gave me memories for a lifetime.

I ended up going to stay with my friends for the past 2 days of their stay .

2 Likes

Remove laundry soap and if you can, remove use of the machines. Problem solved.

1 Like

Donā€™t let reviews rule you. Set your own standards and make your guests adhere to themā€¦read my lips! Tackle each of the things that irritate you, establish guidelines (House Rules) and then, if your guest is ignoring it, confront the guest personally.

For instance, lay down your preferred rule about the washing machine usage. Do you want to allow one time use for every three nightsā€¦or a charge per load with unlimited use? Whatever it is, put it in your printed House Rules. Do you want to limit the hours of use? Reinforce it by taping a note on the machine as to the hours of use.

If a guest is running the machine during your established quiet hoursā€¦stop the machine (unplug it, if necessary) and place a handwritten note: ā€œCourtesy reminder - permitted hours of use are ___ am - ___ pm. No exceptions.ā€

1 Like

A warning about not providing laundry soap. Many laundry detergents have a strong smell. We had a guest who preferred Tide pods to the unscented laundry soap we provide. We had to take apart the soap dispenser part of our washing machine and clean it thoroughly to stop subsequent loads of laundry from smelling like Tide.

1 Like

K9KarmaCasa
"People took their dogs into my back yard or they sat on my back patio and smoked."
I would NEVER allow dogs to sit on my back patio and smoke! You need to put a stop to that as soon as possible!

3 Likes