Guests abuse washer / dryer

I seem to remember an entire thread (or was it a tangent going off of a thread) that talked about just leaving one or two pre-packed washing machine laundry detergent pouches or packs for one or two loads.

Not sure how helpful this comment really is :blush:

2 Likes

But even those add up, I think anything invidually packaged would be more pricey than a big generic box.

You very easily could be losing a $100 booking to save $4. You would have to make the calculation that you could be at the same occupancy/ price point without offering the amenity. I would not make that gamble if it were me.

2 Likes

Just not true sorry.
What else do you compromise on to get a booking, also known as selling your soul?

Peace of mind is worth something. Feeling that you have established a STR situation that is both fair to yourself and the guests is worth something.

Otherwise you may just beome an obsequious doormat* who contributes toward creating unrealistic expectations in guests.

PS I get plenty of bookings… for way more than 100 a night… and I don’t have a washer or dryer here. Never have.

*@Magwitch!!!

3 Likes

Offering washer and dryer for guest use is selling your soul? Gotcha

1 Like

I didn’t say that. You misunderstood me. Please don’t put words in my mouth.

Giving away things when you don’t want to and compromising just to get bookings can amount to selling your soul.

4 Likes

I don’t have any limits on washer/dryer use. I’ve had a handful of guests who did a lot of laundry. I figure that the guests who don’t do laundry even it out.

As I prefer that only unscented laundry detergent be used in my washing machine, I provide the laundry detergent. I don’t use or provide fabric softener or dryer sheets.

1 Like

As ridiculous as saying use of a washing machine is a make or break deal for guests :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’m going to be a bit of a cop-out, I’m afraid! I kind of agree with everyone - some guests do a lot of laundry but the vast majority don’t any at all so…pffft.

BUT when someone assumes that they can do such a large amount of laundry without checking with you first? That’s going to piss you off. It’s the assumption, isn’t it? What else will they help themselves to? All the toilet paper they can get their hands on? All the cereal you provided for breakfast?
Some people come from countries where electricity is cheap, some people have absolutely no idea how much it costs to run these appliances, some people don’t care either way.

In short, make a rule about laundry use that is fair: eg, If you are staying for 3+ nights, laundry facilities are free of charge. For 1-2 night stays, you are welcome to use the facilities for X amount per load.

You can make it really cheap - just enough to cover your costs so you don’t get pissed off!

1 Like

That is exactly what I have in my house rules. Guests staying more than three nights can use the washer and dryer free of charge. Guests staying fewer than three nights can use the laundry for $2 per load each. I provide soap for all guests. All my guests have been fine with that.

The other thing I would say is that just because a guest is only staying for one night, if their stay is part of a larger trip, they may need to do laundry by the time they get to you! It might be a genuine need, rather than them taking advantage of the situation.

1 Like

Good point. If you have certain amenities listed as available (eg, kitchen access, washer, dryer) some guests will select your place precisely because they want/need that amenity. If you offer it free of charge - you can’t renege on that.

1 Like

It’s your house, do as you please.

Since offering laundry as an amenity has the potential to annoy you so much I’d advise not offering it. It’s not worth the aggravation. OTOH, I believe you said you have a luxury property that gets $250+ a night. You make $900-1000 net and fuss about $25 worth of laundry supplies and utilities? That seems so strange to me. Raise your price $2 a night for everyone if it bothers you that much.

The 2 “luxury” vacation rentals I’ve stayed at in the last year had free laundry and detergent. No dryer sheets.

3 Likes

Yikes, I didn’t realise that. Can I amend my previous post to… Cheapskate. that is all.

I don’t offer laundry, but only because the stairs to our basement are so narrow and dangerous. There are three laundromats within an easy [well, if you do’t count the hill to come back] distance. People often do a bit of laundry in their private bathroom. I am planning to put some Woolite in the bathroom closet for those folks.

I had one long term guest who used the machines, by agreement. She was young and able to naviaged the stairs, but she was an unusual case.

Here we go. The $250+ is for a DIFFERENT listing that is in the desert. I’m not talking about this one! Everyone can relax :slight_smile: I leave there a box of laundry pods to use as they wish.

1 Like

My answer is the same. Since it bothers you, don’t offer it.

I used to have a room in my home and they came in the front door. I listed laundry and breakfast as amenities. People asked to park in my garage. People took their dogs into my back yard or they sat on my back patio and smoked. I told people to fill their water bottles from my filtered water dispenser. One couple brought in a large ice chest filled with empty bottles and filled them all. My guess it was case of 24. It was annoying but it was less than a dollar of water.

2 Likes

I know you’re answer’s the same. Now I’m trying to clear my name. Looks like I’m all done as far as @anon67190644 goes :slight_smile:

I ve been through all kinds of laundry abusers😂.
When my rate was very low in a slow season and at the beginning of my Airbnb “career” I had a couple coming for one day who did laundry from 6 pm until 1 am. At that time my husband"s office was in a same room. And he was there for the whole night. But that didn’t stop the couple going back and forth slamming doors, using my laundry detergent and keep on washing. So … the laundry went on for 7 hours!!

Then I had a guy who would come home every day and wash 5 items of clothes.
Then laundry loving lawyer who washed enormous amount of clothes every single day. It’s like he didn’t laundry for a year before he came to my house .

I don’t want to refuse laundry to longer term guests. Now I rarely hve someone staying less than 5 days . Most of my guests stay a month or longer. But even for them I have a rule:
Only 2 loads per week
Laundry is free only when you stay 5 days or longer .
If you want to do more loads it’s 5$ each.

Use of detergent is really minuscule. It comes to 7 cents per load so I can’t really count it as an expense. Definitely electric bill goes up but with renting 3 rooms with almost 100% occupancy my electric bill went up 80$ a month Considering I make more than 3500$ a month income it’s justified .

Laundry abusers get on my nerves not only because of cost but because of if senseless absurd behavior. Like the guy who ran on full capacity his bandana and couple of shorts. Or lawyer with absurd amount of dirty clothes. Or a young couple who used 16 towels in 2 days of their stay.
They heard it all from me, believe me. I requested 5$ from them for extra laundry when they left not because of money but because I wanted to prove the point and they paid through resolution center and apologized.

Don’t be shy with guests, after all they are not shy to abuse your laundry

7 Likes

Definitely on point with that :ok_hand:t2:

1 Like

I agree 100% and it goes not only to Airbnb. “This is how WE do it” is best policy for hosts. Bending before guests never did any good to anyone , not hosts not guests themselves. Because eventually volcano will errupt.

Polite and cheerful approach to insist on house rules works for me most times. Sometimes I “loose it” and make everyone upset which I am working on hard how to control it.
I keep reminding myself that not everyone is a sensible person and I am making mistakes myself .

I think that’s why host’s burn out happens because of this exact reason: hosts trying too hard to please giving away goodies and giving in to guest’s requests .

2 Likes