Guest who might be lying about how many people are staying there

OK so this guest made a reservation for one person. But when she arrives there’s a guy with her so I ask her you only made the reservation for one person. And she says oh yes it’s just me I’m going to be borrowing his car he gave me a ride .?! I’m like WTF. I I have the feeling there’s two people staying there but I can’t prove it. I asked her when she made the booking I said I’m confirming the reservation is for one person and then I gave her directions etc. she never confirmed it was one person I’m so pissed off I hate to be taken advantage of but on the other hand I can’t really prove he staying there and less I noticed two people coming and going in the car and I can’t exactly hang out by the window all day .

Does your listing specifically say NO Visitors or Unregistered Guests??? If not you don’t have a leg to stand on.

Are you charging by the body or by the bed?

1 Like

It says no visitors only the people who are paying can stay there limit 2 people

1 Like

After all your reading here you still don’t have cameras?

4 Likes

No that might be illegal and u have to disclose where they r located

1 Like

Where did you get the idea having a camera on your own property is illegal? It’s only illegal in bedrooms and bathrooms. Certainly nothing illegal about an exterior camera. Yes, you need to disclose it in the listing and inform folks already booked.

With such a camera you’d:
a) know whether the second person is really staying over and
b) have evidence to make the claim for payment through Airbnb.

4 Likes

I had Air cancel an IB for this exact reason. Guest booked for one person. I think, who the heck rents a whole house for one person? Message indicates several guests. I tell the guest, within a minute of getting the booking, it is an invalid reservation and to re-do it. It comes back, right away, as an alteration request with EVEN MORE guests than I can count references to in the message. I ask … who all are you trying to bring into my home? Wait for reply.

And they go silent … no answer. So I call Air, play the “I’m uncomfortable” card for my first time ever and Air made the cancellation.

If they don’t answer you, my advice is cancel them. There are more important things in life than money. My dignity is one of them.

2 Likes

make them give you the necessary comfort level, answers to your “just to confirm…” questions BEFORE you give the directions and codes.

All my messaging before that point is couched in “In order to confirm your booking…” or “so we can complete your booking…”, letting them know that I don’t give a hoot they have automated messages from Air saying they are booked, they are not booked until I say they are. This is my house. I decide who comes into it, and it takes more than just money to be able to do that. I require they give me respect, too. Money alone isn’t enough we aren’t prostitutes here.

4 Likes

I’m not quite sure what the OP’s question is here?

How much is the extra person fee? Why don’t you have cameras?

Good idea then they have to answer you.

I’m looking into that now if people know you have cameras if they’re up to no good hopefully they won’t book.

2 Likes

I don’t know if my cameras help with that or not. Maybe they do because in 5 years/600+ guests I’ve had no serious issues.

Here are some benefits in addition to preventing problems:

• Ability to see if guests who don’t have a car are in the unit or not
  • Have video evidence to submit to Airbnb if they sneak people in or take large things out
  • Make honest guests feel safer
  • Monitor if anyone is trying to check in early or scope the place out. Even a former guest who tries to return and see if the door is locked could be caught in the act.
2 Likes

I’m looking into getting some cameras just so I can verify the number of people going in and out. And if I put it in my listing that there are cameras that will dissuade them from renting my place or at least fessing up and paying for that second person fee upfront without me asking.

speak for yourself. Head in beds!

RR

1 Like

But not liar heads in free beds!

2 Likes

No free heads in beds!

RR

1 Like

Exactly, no free heads and no liar heads.

3 Likes

My question when they bring more than booked is - “Will they be levitating?”
The look on the faces is classic when they work it out…::joy:

4 Likes