Guest who book and pay and then dont show up

Agreed. I had 3 people in 2 weeks or so that didn’t stay or only partly stayed.

Just be happy and swim in your free money. Haha

1 Like

I don’t enjoy these types of guests, I put considerable effort into preparations, and I would have been worried they were going to show up after I had gone to bed. I’d be annoyed.

1 Like

I mentioned this before, so apologies to those who’ve ‘heard’ it before - but my no-shows were an American living in Mexico City coming with his Russian wife and her son. My head swam with wondering what had happened to them! I really didn’t like getting money for nothing!

That was in the early days, though; I might not mind it so much now!!

This is making me feel better about it. I was feeling bad but you all are right if they choose not to let me know then they really didnt mind paying to not stay. Thank you all

Why can’t you review them? Not showing up is their behavior and it should be out there.

Out where? Their review? We don’t know the reason why they didn’t show up. It could be a most valid one, right? I had one like that a year ago, I offered even a voucher for another date, never heard from them; they were pilots to boot.; to this day left me wondering.

I think @dcmooney had one like that also; absolute silence.

Tammy, keep one thing in mind: had someone else booked that time frame, in all likelihood they would have shown up and you won’t be in any kind of quandary about refunding.

I had a guest that couldn’t make it, and let me know 5 months ahead of time, I refunded their 50% because I did re-booked the dates, so nothing lost. A second, let me know only 3 weeks ahead, I moved them to 2017, didn’t have to but felt like it. A total no show I would treat as others have suggested, its a no-refundable case.

I DO admire your sense of fair play, admirable.

Ha!!! Yes it does seem like some don’t read the details, and I can totally understand that, especially if they’re on an extended vacation and staying in many different places. But even still, one does get annoyed when people ask questions they would know the answers to if they glanced over my not very complicated Air listing. I’m a patient type, so it’s not a big deal.

I had a guest show up today whom I could tell was overwhelmed by how vastly spread out the Los Angeles area is and how long it takes to get anywhere. His first question was, is this Los Angeles? I’m in Long Beach, it’s L.A. County, but miles away from the Hollywood sign, or Santa Monica or other “L.A. spots”. He’s probably going to be one of those people who leave a less that 5 star rating for “location”, and that’s just fine too. That category is a puzzling one for me.

If a guest doesn’t show up, is there a way to clear the calendar?

I think some of us are talking about two different things - I am talking about folks who just don’t show up. Don’t cancel. They don’t contact you; they just don’t show up, causing you to wait up and probably go through other efforts since you don’t know what’s happening. Not folks who cancel, even last minute. NOT showing up should be noted somehow. It should not be treated as a cancel. If a host cancels a guest it is Automatically added to reviews no matter how legitimate the reason.

2 Likes

Is your point that when guests are a no-show, the host should still review them, mentioning they didn’t show up?

Exactly. Probably best if it is automated - neutral in tone - just like hosts are subjected to when they cancel. Hosts have no control over that review. It pops up automatically. But it doesn’t matter - Air would never do it because they are unabashedly pro-guest these days.

2 Likes

I see. I am not in agreement with Airbnb’s policy of mentioning that the host cancelled someone, it comes across like a demerit in a child’s report card; tattle-telling. I do realize they are a bit hysterical about cancelling, which needless to say some people (hosts) abused cruelly in the past. Just as equally useless would be for the host to mention some guests didn’t show up since it has no relevancy to potential guests interested in booking and reading reviews.

It wouldn’t show up on the Host’s property’s reviews - it would be on the Guest’s reviews. For other hosts to see when making a determination. But it will never happen. And I agree with you about the Report Card aspect, but I see their point in discouraging folks from doing it. I cancelled someone once when I was adding my addition because my contractor could not guarantee that the well house and water line would be back online within that time frame. I gave her a month’s notice so she had time to book somewhere else. Dinging me with an automatic review and taking away Superhost seemed like an overreaction but there you have it. I did mention to them once, while on the phone, and they said if I could provide documentation from my contractor they would take it off, but it seemed like more work than i wanted to go through.

2 Likes

Yes, same thing happened to me, I innocently cancelled someone because they asked me to, to save their precious booking fee. Lesson learned.

If it only appears in the guest’s log, no harm and yes relevant in mentioning they didn’t show up.

2 Likes

Yes, I want to know this too. No big deal if it’s a 1-2 night stay (as you got paid), but if it’s 3+ days and you may be able to get booked again? Would you update the reservation? But doesn’t that require confirmation on the guest’s part? Or would you cancel it and just take the hit if you’re not worried about SH and would just like to open the calendar?

If a host cancels they keep the days blocked as part of the ‘punishment’. You would have to call in and try to convince them to unblock the dates.

Why? To make money by double/overbooking?

What happens if the guests shows up 2 days later. The guests has booked and paid for the place, so you have to keep it available in case the guests shows up.

No, AirBnB should not make it possible to free the dates.

^^^ Was typing exactly that. Once had a 5-day guest show 2 days late, by coincidence had a 2-day break after them, so they still got to stay for 5 days.

1 Like

That makes total sense. Sometimes you don’t think of something until someone explains it. Now I want this type of guest, lol.