Guest wants to return after leaving 3 star review

One thing I’ve never seen on those review guideline examples is something I think should be included, to the effect of (some might word it differently):

“Guests might want to be aware that a 4 star “overall” rating or below may lead some hosts to decline a repeat booking, even if you were a good guest. Not because the hosts think they are perfect, but because of how it will affect their search ranking and bookings. While Airbnb tells guests a 4 star rating is good, it isn’t for hosts. So if it’s a place you would never want to stay again and feel it was somehow bad, of course, rate accordingly. But if it was a place where you had a good stay and would stay at again, or recommend to others, but leave 4 stars overall or lower, it is only fair to let guests know how hosts might react to requests to book again.”

1 Like

With or without “educating” her abut her review?

Personally, I wouldn’t rent to them again and I would tell them the reason. Perhaps it’ll be a learning experience for them.

When we first listed our guesthouse, we wondered if anyone would book with us! Now we are surprisingly as booked as we want to be, and often times more than we want to be! It puts us in a place where we can be somewhat “picky” with who we have here…and especially with return guests. I know this isn’t the case for some hosts, but for us, we’d rather our guesthouse sit empty than have anyone in it that might be dissatisfied in any way.

1 Like

I will take you on the PDF offer, please!

1 Like

@gillian Would you be able to share with someone else?

yes, no worries. anyone else can just DM me their email. @reeftek

1 Like

Not quite the topic re 3 star review question, but given that the hotel rating system seems to be top at 4 stars, maybe clarification is needed for guests on airbnb. When I read somewhere on an airbnb site or forum that the stars are allocated based on what is being offered is what is actually offered, I understood the importance of detail in the listing. So those of us who do not offer luxury acommodation with top of the range fittings and fixtures still have a role in offering accommodation. That was really helpful to me and I will often let guests know this in conversation. In the case of no wi-fi and this is stated on the listing, then the guest has no real case for down rating.

2 Likes

yes you are correct. I stayed in a budget motel in rural Australia last month (via BDC) and i gave them 5*, cos it was clean, nice white crisp sheets, hot water and super reasonable pricing. The motel itself was 3* in the world of hotel ratings, but that’s not what the review is about, it’s about our guest experience based on what we booked/paid.

And that’s the problem, some people wanted to stay in Buck Palace but “settled” for something else in line with their actual budget, so therefore they can never give 5*. They wanted to be overlooking the beach in the penthouse but instead booked 3rd floor 2 blocks back and take that out on us. These guests need a little gentle educating.

5 Likes

Gee this rating and review guide example is worrying after receiving a revenge review with overall 1 star rating. Usual ratings in the 5 stars and superhost status. Food for thought.

I think the guest is behaving very unfairly.
You clearly specified in your listing there was no WiFi. For the guest to complain about that is a little crazy.

1 Like

Im just a new AirBNB host, but to me there’s a common sense fix. Have a chat with the guest and explain how important it is to landlords to maintain high feedback, and that you were upfront in the listing about there being no wifi, and would the guest be prepared to withdraw their previous feedback, My understanding from renting another property on another site is that repeat guests are quite valuable.

2 Likes

There is no way to ‘withdraw their previous feedback’. A host is not a landlord, a guest is not a tenant, and An STR is not ‘rented’. And negotiating for good ratings is against airbnb TOS and could get you delisted.

2 Likes

Actually Rolf this isn’t quite right. The Airbnb content policy specifically states that a host can ask a guest to leave an honest positive review or rating reflecting a positive experience. It also states that guests can withdraw their reviews. An honest friendly chat with the guest should not be a problem if approached in a charming, positive and friendly manner.

3 Likes

Yes you ‘could’ ask that a guest leave something positive, but not as a condition of approving their reservation. That is specifically disallowed. Airbnb calls it ‘extortion’ and you could be removed from the platform.

Asking to remove a review they wrote is also suspect. If their review was honest, then you are extorting them by asking them to change their review.

Per airbnb: “You can remove a review you’ve written if it no longer reflects your genuine experience as a guest or Host.”

Try being charming and communicating well Rolf - it can work wonders. Threat is not the only negotiating tactic.

2 Likes

A guest recently left a four star review. He was happy with the stay but did not realize that four stars is a bad rating.

I politely asked him what we could have done better and he said he enjoyed it and would like to return.

I requested him to remove the review as he was affecting my rating negatively.

He is now convinced he had a five star stay, so that four star review was not accurate. So he asked Airbnb to remove it.

I have also started retracting my five star reviews for guests who have left me less than five stars. I believe it is my responsibility to make sure other hosts will view these guests suspiciously.

2 Likes

How is this done, and how does it work when the reviews are older than, say, a few weeks?

Message Airbnb support and ask for that review with confirmation number to be removed. I don’t provide any reason to Airbnb.

2 Likes

Were they 5* guests or not? If they were, pulling the review because they didn’t leave you a 5* review is such childish retaliation. If they weren’t 5* guests, why would you mark them as such?
How does pulling your 5* review of guests help you? You can still decline a repeat booking from them. All it is, is revenge.

4 Likes