Guest wants to return after leaving 3 star review

While I know there are many hosts who refuse to take a repeat booking from guests who unfairly downrated them, I don’t quite understand that. The damage has already been done, and if a guest asks to book again, it seems pretty obvious to me that they have no idea how the ratings affect hosts and didn’t intend to harm you. If the guest was unproblematic during the stay, and the rating was the only issue, it only seems fair to let the guest know about the rating system, and if they respond positively (“I’m so sorry, I had no idea”), give them a second chance.

I’ve had a couple of people over the years rebook using IB after having left a bad review. That second stay felt really awkward. Given the option, I wouldn’t do it ever again.

4 Likes

but the only review worth getting is 5stars. there’s no point pretending that 4stars is ok…

1 Like

Well sure, everyone wants 5 star reviews. But if a host is trying to inform guests of how the ratings affect hosts, I think that acknowledging that some places may indeed not deserve 5 stars and that guests shouldn’t feel pressured to leave them if they found a stay to be legitimately lacking in providing what was offered, or the host not responsive to real issues, is psychologically a good way for the guest to be open to the info, and not feel like the host is shilling for 5 stars.

Obviously many hosts are of the opinion that reviews should never be discussed with guests, or don’t feel comfortable doing it, which is fine. But if hosts do want to convey some basic information about ratings, it’s important to do it in a way that doesn’t make the guest uncomfortable or like the host is trying to convince guests to leave a 5 star rating for them.

My attitude is to give guests basic information about how ratings work, and let them do with the info what they will. But like I’ve mentioned, there’s no way I have this conversation with all guests. It has to flow naturally, there has to be an appropriate situation where it comes up, not some “Now I’m going to educate you about reviews” thing.

I have a 2 page spread about reviews in my manual, with a version of that joke rating system thing that most of us will have seen. I also share the hosts side where it says “tell your guests how they can do better” and I tell them I will not be grading them like it’s primary school.

I also tell them all those other things they are asked to confirm never get shared with me, and that direct feedback is welcomed, and preferred.
I do not tell them there is also a button for ‘would not host again’… although I do wish some of those bloggers who share how to scam free stays would let people know that exists.

3 Likes

Yes, if I had an entire place listing, I would also leave some type of review info in the manual, and it would definitely involve humor. I think guests would be a lot more inclined to leave a 5 star review if they get the impression that the host doesn’t take themselves all that seriously.

1 Like

yes, i try to put all the blame on Airbnb, for creating an unfair system that pits host against guest. A bit of humour, and a casual tone… although I still worry about it. but generally we get great reviews so for now it’s working fine.

3 Likes

This seems pretty genius to me! May I borrow for my own house manual?

2 Likes

Ca’t host get the review deleted by contacting Airbnb and letting them know that the listing states ‘no Wifi’ and the guest falsely dinged them?

1 Like

As there are no explanations attached to star ratings, giving the reason for the low rating, it’s virtually impossible to prove that the rating was given because of the lack of an amenity that the host doesn’t offer in the first place.

The host might have a chance if they had an Airbnb message from the guest stating that that was the sole reason they left a bad rating.

I know that some hosts who’ve had this kind of scenario, when the host was broadsided by the rating, and contacted the guest about it, if it was a nice guest who had no intention to harm the host, but just didn’t realize what to rate on, or the impact the low rating had, have had the guest be willing to contact Airbnb to remove the review and rating.

A user can request their own content to be removed and Airbnb will comply, but trying to get another user’s content removed is usually unsuccessful without proof that it violates review policy.

2 Likes

Many years ago I had something similar happen. Snowbirds stayed 45 days. Left poor review but did not mention anything during their stay. Husband contacted me directly asking to book again the next year.
My response, “Hi xxx thank you for your interest in a booking for next year. I’m surprised after the negative review you left that you would be interested. None of the things you mentioned in the review are going to change so I don’t see a future stay working out.”

Complaints: too far to beach, couch not comfortable & needed replacement, pool not heated, 10-15 drive to 8 golf courses, not directly on golf property.

He was shocked and said he didn’t leave the review. Too bad. Someone with access to his account left it.

10 Likes

That was a great response to the guest, Annet. No making the guest feel attacked, no guilt trip, no host whining, just reasonable and factual.

4 Likes

Exactly! And that’s precisely where the blame lies. Imagine if they did away with the star ratings, how much stress that would remove from hosting. (I don’t think that would lead good hosts to slack off at all- a guest could still blast you in a written review, so hosts would carry on hosting as they already do).

It would be better for guests, too. If they just gave a undeserved 4 star review because they didn’t realize hosts don’t consider it a compliment, left a good written review, and then get declined for a repeat booking, when they were actually great guests a host would otherwise welcome back, that’s totally on Airbnb.

Like the guest I had who was shocked to find out that her past hosts, who she had all rated 4 stars, thinking that was a good rating, would not be pleased. She was a great guest who I thoroughly enjoyed and would welcome back in a heartbeat. She also had several glowing reviews from her past hosts. She simply had no idea- she believed Airbnb’s wording that 4 stars is a good review and figured 5 stars was for something exceptional.

1 Like

As I am 90% booked and 80% are direct with only the occasional Airbnb and B.con booking, I cannot describe the difference in my stress levels!

5 Likes

yep, all good. i can send you a pdf if you want.

1 Like

you are doing something right!! that’s the goal, for sure.
I guess people can still leave google reviews and say whatever they want there.

2 Likes

Yes please! Is it appropriate for me to put my e-mail address here? (I’m just not sure what is the appropriate protocol on this list)

can we do DMs here? (no clue! never done one)

1 Like

Established members with high enough trust levels can. You and @lisanddavid should be able to message each other. If you click on a users name a blue “message” box will pop up next to their name if you have the messaging privilege.

2 Likes

Here are some examples of notices available on ETSY about Airbnb reviews.

I don’t use these BUT they may give you an idea of wording to use or not to use.

3 Likes