Guest Vanished in Tlv left bags

I just left this Sunday and there are only two weeks left before it goes to the next owner so at the moment due to incredibly bad timing I only have my cleaners. But at this point I think I will ask a friend to go.

I just moved on Sunday (the day he was supposed to check out) so I’m only running it for two more weeks and then it goes timbre owners.

I am not the owner of all. I manage them. So the money isn’t that easy…I appreciate the sarcasm though. It’s always helpful.

No I wanted advice about what you would do. Thanks for the help. And I am a writer so maybe that novel will happen one day. :cherry_blossom:

The only issue you may have is quarantine for 2 weeks upon your arrival…

Where I live the law requires you to hold left property for 30 days.

Ok thanks. For sure I will keep it for now.

okay I already figured out you’re a writer and I assumed you were fishing for material.

if you’re serious, perhaps notify the embassy of the country the guest is from if you can’t get a report to police sooner. and make some sort of written notification to airbnb of the situation if you haven’t already, for documentation/CYA.

1 Like

So what was your plan to clean it and have it ready for the new owners? Whoever was going to handle that for you can report it to the police and store their belongings.

1 Like

Ah you forgot guest has been squirreled away into quarantine for the corona virus and that’s why they can’t return for their bag :slight_smile: :smile: :grin: :rofl: :joy:

1 Like
  1. you shouldn’t be dealing with the ‘friend’ - he could be anyone.

2. just message back the guest on the platform and say if he doesn’t arrange a time with you to collect the bags within 2days, you will donate his belongings to a charity shop. Confirm he needs to do this in person and you will not give them to a third party

3. if you want to report the left luggage to the police (why) then get a friend or relation to do it, it’s not fair to expect your cleaner to do it for you. As you run a property management business you must have a system in place to deal with guest related issues when you are not available.

1 Like

Silly me, so obvious but then, I’m not a writer…

1 Like

Clearly not. Despite @KKC not smelling troll scat :poop:, I disagree. This post stinks on so many levels.

• she sold everything
  • well, almost everything
  • it’s her listing
  • wait (there’s more floor wax!) it’s not her listing
  • she’s a property manager without support staff
  • wait, there’s a cleaner
  • it’s been sold
  • but not everything is sold
  • she’s left the country (ha!)
  • she’s coming back and doesn’t have to worry about quarantines
  • I have to worry about quarantines
  • :scream_cat:

It stinks. 6 years hosting and a simple query that is so newbie?

Nope.

2 Likes

To take it back to the original post and to not get lost in the negativity…I hope the OP found a friend or cleaning person to pack the missing guest’s belongings and was able to report him missing to the authorities and to Airbnb CS.

Recently in the USA a couple in their 70’s was reported missing by their host when they failed to check out. They were found alive but dehydrated and exhausted after being lost for 3 days in a wilderness area.

Yes the OPs story is unusual BUT sometimes crazy things happen in “normal” lives. If you feel this is a trolling post, don’t waste your time. Skip it and go to the next posting

3 Likes

I agree, @muddy. I think it’s a perfectly plausible story.

I think the suggestion @LoneStar made to call the guest’s embassy is a good one. Also the suggestion by @Helsi to notify the guest, on the Airbnb platform, that all the guest’s belongings will be donated by xx date, and that all contact regarding the belongings must be handled by the guest himself, on the platform.

In this time of serious health issues around Coronavirus, I think situations like this are increasingly likely to happen.

Good luck, @Meredith_Silks.

The lost couple ( Inverness Ca) in their 70’s were missing Feb 14 - Feb 21. Seven days.

1 Like

In all of my 6 years I NEVER had anything like this happen. And it is odd to have it happen a few weeks before it all closes but I assure you the details are true. I have contacted the embassy and police. I doubt it will help on any level but he is for sure missing and he is for sure not answering any messages. It’s a ‘newbie’ post because I have no experience with this kind of situation. I sincerely doubt many other hosts have either.

thanks. let’s see if the embassy and police help. I contacted the french embassy in Israel. Everyone is so overwhelmed right now I can’t get anyone to pay any attention. And unfortunately I don’t have any proof that anything bad happened to him, only this odd phone call and the fact he left bags and has had zero communication in over two weeks.

I hope the embassy and police take notice. Horrible that he’s missing amidst all the health turmoil, too.

Newbie because you are a first-time poster.

So here’s something curious- I just read a post on the CC from a guest who sounds exactly like the guest from this OP’s story, but the details are slightly different- booking was in China, guest left and took the keys with him, planning to come back, then didnt’t, tried to cancel the rest of the reservation and wanted his friend to come pick up the rest of his stuff. Read it here: https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Help/Personal-belongings-misappropriated-or-disposed-by-the-host/m-p/1271197#M275963

2 Likes